Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-14-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

I hope to be leaving in the morning for the NC TOGA (TreadleOn Gathering and Academy) for 5 days of vintage sewing machine overload. (I'm waiting to hear from my youngest daughter's latest dr's appt before making a firm commitment; grandchildren actually trump sewing machines. They're the only things I've found that do.) While there, I plan to take yet another sewing machine repair class with Ray White, so have my tool box and machines with issues lined up ready to put in the car.
Grandchildren definitely out trump vintage machines! How cool you get to go to the TreadleOn Gathering and Academy and get an overload on vintage machines. I used to think the Sewing Expo was the ultimate but
the TOGA would out trump that.

Enjoy for all of us. And bring back photos, please!
Old 06-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ohio Star Quilter
Thank you so very much Billy for setting up this wonderful shop. Only drawback is I sit here and read and get nothing else done, lol.I've read all 154 pages.
I found a Singer 66 Red Eye treadle machine with the cabinet. It is in rough conditon and parts of the machine are rusted. But the decals look good.I've been waiting almost 6 weeks for them to price it. It is at a thrift store. They just called me and they are asking $35.00.
Is it worth it? Will the rusted parts clean up? If anyone can help me I have to go look at it at noon today and decide if I want that much of a project.
Thanks, Judy
Depending on how rough is rough. $35 is not bad but you will have to put in some bench time to make it working again. Try and to see if it will function and not locked up, if it moves freely or moves at all then I would get it and go form there.

But there were millions of Red Eyes made so the chances of finding one the is really nice is in your favor!

Billy
Old 06-14-2010, 07:11 AM

THANK YOU Billy! Im so excited! I paid 50$ for the thing. I need to find a place to take it to get the electrical looked at!
THANK YOU AGAIN! I knew I could count on you :)
Old 06-14-2010, 07:26 AM

Thank you, Billy for your reply. I have cleaned up two vintage machines with the kerosene etc but neither had any rust. I just needed some advice on what to look for. Leaving now to look at it again will let you know if I bring it home.
Thanks, Judy
Old 06-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjaye44
Oops...sorry Billy, I didn't know how you felt about clones vs. copies. I didn't know there was a difference. I have a Kenmore 43 also. When I found my Emerson at a thrift shop they threw in the Kenmore and I got them both for $20.00. This weekend I asked my son to come over and help me clean up/out my large shed. In almost 100 degree heat. Is that love or what??? What I didn't tell him was that I wanted the room to keep a few more machines in a sort of staging area. My daughter in N.O. found a machine at a garage sale this weekend and called and wanted to know if I was interested. She was relaying my questions back and forth with the owner on her cell phone. All I know for sure is it is something called a Coronado...it's a sort of crinkly black finish and it says "made in the USA" and she talked him down to $20.00. She is planning on a visit here for the 4th of July weekend and will bring it with her. I'll send pictures as soon as it gets here.

Take care of yourself...you're important to us!!!
Carol
Dont take it the wrong way, but the Japanese 15's are far from clones.

I called them that too when I first got into collecting, but after doing lots of research on them and trying to find out the original manufacturers and dating them I found out that they are far from it.

Billy
Old 06-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Sewcrazygirl...you need to go out and start junkin!
Oh I miss that show "Junkin"!!

It was fun to see what all they came up with and what the item brought when they flipped them on eBay!!

Billy
Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 AM

OMG!! I have to share with everyone I just got my FW 221 Centennial. It's so cute and so small. I didn't realize just how small they are. I just took it out of the box. Haven't even plugged it in yet. It definitely looks like it needs a good cleaning. Can't wait to start that per Billy's tutes. I will post pics later this afternoon. Woo Hoo! I'm so excited! And I just can't hide it!!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:37 AM

Are "G" model 27's always treadle machines? I saw one online but didn't see any kind of electrical. Could it be turned into a hand crank?? It is a Red Eye.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjaye44
Are "G" model 27's always treadle machines? I saw one online but didn't see any kind of electrical. Could it be turned into a hand crank?? It is a Red Eye.
As long as it has the boss for the motor to be on the machine you can turn it into a handcrank. And not all "G" series were treadles. That was the largest series that Singer ran, there were well into the millions of the produced in that series.

Billy
Old 06-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

Hi All, I thought you might like a little history lesson while we are hanging out in the "Shop".

We all know that Singer was one of the largest sewing manufacturers out there but did you know that Issac Singer was really into living large?

Here is a little bit about the building he had in New York as his headquarters. This building set the worlds record of the Tallest Building in the World in 1908. Take your time and look at the photos of the inside and the grandeur of the lobby and the ornamentation that went into the construction. They were trying to get the building registered as a historical landmark but to no avail New York City did not want to be a real estate broker. the original plan was to move the Stock Exchange to that location but it never came about and Plaza One was built in the the spot.

Here is the link and be sure to click on the images to enlarge them and see how many "Sewing" related things you can find in the architecture.......

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/GON/GON003.htm

Billy