Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-10-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Am I out of my mind? Nah, nevermind, this is the wrong place to ask this. You don't ask enablers if you should get another machine. I answered an ad on Freecycle tonight and tomorrow will be receiving a black Singer treadle. The young couple will deliver if they can get in their car. If not, I have to take a screwdriver and go a bit North. The only machine I want is a Redeye and this not one. She said it has some worn gold flowers. It needs a belt, but the Leader came with a spare, so I'm good there. I'm very curious to say the least. She has dial-up and couldn't get a picture to me before her husband goes on the road for the week, so I'm flying blind here. Now where is it going to sit? Which piece of furniture can I sacrifice? What if my son was able to get the Redeye in NJ? I can't decide if he will call me excited or hide it until Christmas as he can't get home until December.

Don't let the details get the best of you. Just get her home and admire her.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I missed the Toga today. :cry: A childhood friend died and I went to his services today. I did not get home until 3 and there was a grassfire somewhere so my Asthma was acting up and I have to stay in the house until the air clears. Kathie
Kathie we missed you! I finally got to meet Monica (Vintagemotiff), Janice (Jljack), and Sheryl (QuiltnCowGirl)!
Our friend, Loretta, came with me and she ended up buying the most pristine Spartan, that was modified to a handcrank, I have ever seen! Not a scratch on that machine. She also got a buttonholer, ruffler, and some bobbins! I would have bought that Spartan if Loretta hadn't! Monica demonstrated her machine dust covers and did a fantastic job! There were tons of machines to oogle over, lots of food, demo's on attachments, lot's of conversions from motors to handcranks going on - a good time. I was drooling over a W&W #9 hand crank and a Jones hand crank!

Nancy
Kathie, Sorry to hear this. I missed you today! There will be another TOGA sometime at the end of January or beginning February.

Nancy, Janice, Sheryl, and Anamarie (grayhare), it was wonderful meeting all of you today! It was a blast watching Sheryl use her first people machine, a handcrank. Janice and Sheryl made beautiful machine covers.

Nancy, I didn't realize that Loretta went shopping while there.
That Spartan is gorgeous! Is that her first vintage machine?

The demo on the machine attachments was helpful, and now I want to play with mine. I'm planning on making a toddler dress with ruffles.

I purchased some machine parts for my Singer 9W today. I'm looking forward to cleaning that machine and finally treadling with it.

I wish we all lived closer and could meet up more often. It was a fun day!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mornigstar
If you look in the cabinet can you tell me what the metal parts are on the front right of the inside of the cabinet.
Got 301A a month ago and don't really know what that is.
tia
A picture might help. Nobody here is psychic...
Just for a guess. You say it is a 301? If the 301 is in a cabinet it usually has a basket to sit in. There is a lever to move under the lift plate and then the machine will come out of the basket. Your manual might have instructions.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
If you look in the cabinet can you tell me what the metal parts are on the front right of the inside of the cabinet.
tia
Just for a guess. You say it is a 301? If the 301 is in a cabinet it usually has a basket to sit in. There is a lever to move under the lift plate and then the machine will come out of the basket. Your manual might have instructions.
I'm thinking mine has a foot/knee controller bracket, and a cord wrap type of hook looking thing. Mine is currently in the dining room paired with two more machines for a buffet table look (same height, one table runner to unify the tops), or I would open it up and look again.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQuilter
Please help!!!!

I am working on cleaning my Singer 127 and the thumb screw that holds the presserfoot bar in place is frozen solid. Other than WD40 what is the best way to get it off???? Thanks!
Susie, you will need to put the WD40 on or oil and just let it sit. Sometimes it helps to put the machine in the sun with the oil on the screw. Keep trying. It will eventually come free.

Nancy
Old 09-11-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy, Janice, Sheryl, and Anamarie (grayhare), it was wonderful meeting all of you today! It was a blast watching Sheryl use her first people machine, a handcrank. Janice and Sheryl made beautiful machine covers.

The demo on the machine attachments was helpful, and now I want to play with mine. I'm planning on making a toddler dress with ruffles.

I purchased some machine parts for my Singer 9W today. I'm looking forward to cleaning that machine and finally treadling with it.

Yes, Loretta went shopping. Did you see the Spartan she got? It was absolutely pristine! Cathy had converted it to a hand crank with the cutest hand wheel and crank! I have a 99 HC and a 28 HC, but neither one has a reverse! Because of the reverse and the looks of the Spartan with that wheel and crank -- I was drooling over it, but, I am glad Loretta got it. She has been looking for a HC. No this is not her first vintage. She does a lot of classes with me and always uses her FW in class. She also has my Singer 27 pictured on page 357 here! Remember what a mess that machine was when I started cleaning it up? Loretta loves that old girl!

Loretta also has a Rocketeer. I do all my decorative stitches in our Patchabilities classes with my Rocketeer - so of course Loretta was convinced she had to have one too for the same reason! Funny, because we both have very modern, very new machines we could use, but we both use the Rocketeers!

I didn't realize Grayhare was there too! Hello Annamarie!

It would be fun to get together more often!

Nancy
Old 09-11-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Yes, Loretta went shopping. Did you see the Spartan she got? It was absolutely pristine! Cathy had converted it to a hand crank with the cutest hand wheel and crank! I have a 99 HC and a 28 HC, but neither one has a reverse! Because of the reverse and the looks of the Spartan with that wheel and crank -- I was drooling over it, but, I am glad Loretta got it. She has been looking for a HC. No this is not her first vintage. She does a lot of classes with me and always uses her FW in class. She also has my Singer 27 pictured on page 357 here! Remember what a mess that machine was when I started cleaning it up? Loretta loves that old girl!

Loretta also has a Rocketeer. I do all my decorative stitches in our Patchabilities classes with my Rocketeer - so of course Loretta was convinced she had to have one too for the same reason! Funny, because we both have very modern, very new machines we could use, but we both use the Rocketeers!

I didn't realize Grayhare was there too! Hello Annamarie!

It would be fun to get together more often!

Nancy
Hi Nancy, Monica, and Janice, This was my first time at TOGA, Wow, all the beautiful machines! Monica, great demo on the sewing machine covers; I will be making a few of them.
Marti, let me stitch on her hand crank machine, and now I want one!! I really like the Jones machines that I have seen.
What do I look for in a machine to convert it to a hand crank, if I can't find one?
It was really nice to meet everyone!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:14 AM

An eBay listing for those of you who have a shop - or enough Singers to look like a shop! My sewing room has no windows.
http://cgi.ebay.com/130573060582#ht_500wt_953
Old 09-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Originally Posted by miriam
tia
I'm thinking mine has a foot/knee controller bracket, and a cord wrap type of hook looking thing. Mine is currently in the dining room paired with two more machines for a buffet table look (same height, one table runner to unify the tops), or I would open it up and look again.
I love my knee controller.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 AM

The Necchi's knee contoller is why I'm selling the Admiral and not the Necchi. I think the Admiral has a better motor and is prettier, but I like the knee controller.

The owner of the free machine just called. It is a Ruby, not a Singer, so it must be a New Home or another National. She asked if I still wanted it. Why not? It should fit better in the house. Of course, it's going smack dab in the center of the kitchen for cleaning first.

The machine just arrived. It's a little rust bucket. I will have to decide whether it's worth cleaning or not. The irons do move freely. I don't see a name anywhere and the only number is on the slide plate, so it's probably a part number. It's weird. The machine lifts up from back to front and a wood insert comes, too. Little mystery machine.

Rusty little machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254892[/ATTACH]

Cabinet w/rusty irons
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254893[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-254886.jpe   attachment-254887.jpe