Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-22-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by jpete523
Hi Charlee. I've been lurking in the back of the room and thought I'd offer a suggestion on industrial needles. I've had good luck finding oddball sizes at an industrial sewing supplier online. www.wawak.com and when I don't find something online I've called customer service. They are very helpful and their prices are very good. Maybe they could help you with the 20 x 1?

Jan
Thanks Jan!! I will check that out!
Treadlelady.com advertises 20x1 needles 3 for $10.00. I bought mine off ebay right after I got my Davis VF but I cant remember how much I paid, sorry.
My Davis doesn't take the 20x1, that's the AG Mason that takes those (and I need some of them too, THANKS!)...the Davis takes the Davis Long Needle, or the Boye 10....I just got 3 tubes on ebay...that should last me a short while until I find the Organ needles that Kevin says will work... :)
Charlee if you find youself short of Boye 10 you can cheat with a 15X1 by not placing the needle so high in the bar. Lower it until is sews good then mark the needle with a fine sharpie so you can mark other needles when you run short of Boye 10's I find this works great on my Davis.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:02 PM

ismacs say you can do this with 20x1's also.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:46 PM

Had an interesting experience today. I am looking for an vintage Singer donor machine with a potted motor. Hubby broke head off a screw for 201 cuz he tightened it too much. So am looking in several sewing shops and antique shops without much success. At the last shop, they actually have had vintage Singers before so I explain to the possible OSMG what I need. He says he thinks he might have one in back. He comes back and hands me a plastic head to a screw and syas that this is what I need. I explain again it's a 201, all metal, and need a metal screw. He comes back again after a bit of a wait with something that's not even close and cannot understand why I won't buy it from him. I explain to him that I do know what I'm talking about and looking for and neither of his options worked for me. He finally asks me how do I know this and I said b/c I work on my vintage Singers all the time and saw the complete screw before it broke. OH was his reply. Before the screw business, he had tried to tell me that my 201 could not be from the 40s b/c they were only made starting in the 50s. That should have been my sign right there but I kept hoping. He finally did concede that the 201s were manufactured in the 30s AFTER looking at a sewing machine guide (little blue book no longer available) that he has in the shop.
I did see 2 or 3 complete Bernina 830s for about $400 apiece and wondered if they were worth it? I am not interested but curious. Speaking of Bernina, does anyone on here have a Bernina 807? My sister has one and needs a power cord and I need to know if those are still available.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:14 PM

Sewing machine in the bathroom? Why not? Little Orphan Annie is in the dressing room on the way to my bathroom. If I get these quilts caught up, I want to look closely at her to see if I'm keeping her.

I used the dreaded WD-40 on my Necchi today. The knee control was very stiff and nothing seems to change that. One spray of WD-40 was all it took. I suppose now I should clean it off with SM oil. BTW, people with reversal problems should not sew with more than one machine. My 301 keep breaking the thread while FMQ, which is so unlike her. I had been sewing on the Necchi earlier and was threading the 301 backwards. To further complicate things, the Elna that threads from the front is a few feet away.

I am chasing longer needles, but not very hard. I haven't tried dropping a 15 on the Leader yet.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

Hey kids the Boss is in!! I decided to drop by and see how things are going and see what new machines have been rescued lately. As you all know I am very ill and have a super rare autoimmune system disease called Pemphigus Vulgaris. There are only 300 or so cases of it in the States so I am one of a very few. It can not be cured only the symptoms can be tamed and I will die because of it it just depends when God calls me up. But for now I am going to the doctors tomorrow and we are starting the treatments and hopefully by the end of the year I will be under control and I can get back to doing what I love working on sewing machines!!!

Any how I am going to meander through a few pages and see what all you guys found and I will be back tomorrow to let everyone know what is going on.

Billy
Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Does anyone remember when Sears stores had candy and popcorn counters? Wow...that was a LOOONNNGGG time ago!! I can barely remember it!! :shock:
Oh, my, the candy counter was right in the center of the store and as soon as you walked in, you could smell the popcorn and the roasted peanuts. My dad always bought us the red hull peanuts which were warmed under a heat light. We never got a big bag though. Sometimes, we would get to choose orange slices or candy corn. I don't ever remember getting the M&Ms though. But that trip to the candy counter was a great memory us girls had with our Dad!
yeah Sears smelled so good back then... sort of like Target eh?
Nauseates me now.[/quote]

And for us guys with our dads!! I used to always get a 1/4 pound of candy corn and dad would get a half pound of spanish peanuts! Those were some really great memories!! :D :D

Billy
Old 09-22-2011, 08:56 PM

Thanks Glenn! :) I'll try that if need be, but I have some needles on their way...

Neither of my bathrooms is big enough, and my bathroom is way too humid...I'd have a bucket of rust before a year was out! His mother is just gonna have to start sleeping in the camper when she visits!! :lol:

I had a good evening with the Davis cabinet, thanks to Glenn's advice...it's almost ready for a new coat of shellac. Need to get the coffin top ready first so I can do it all at once...still need to finish cleaning the base and doing touch up paint and car wax on it...I worry about it...it's still got decals, and I don't want to lose them!!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:57 PM

Hey Billy...good to see ya. :)
Old 09-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jpete523
Hi Charlee. I've been lurking in the back of the room and thought I'd offer a suggestion on industrial needles. I've had good luck finding oddball sizes at an industrial sewing supplier online. www.wawak.com and when I don't find something online I've called customer service. They are very helpful and their prices are very good. Maybe they could help you with the 20 x 1?

Jan
I have around 6000 20x1 needles in my studio out there but I cant get to them and it will be a while but if you want me to send you some Charlee I will. But it might take a while before I am able to get out of the house to go into the studio.

Billy
Old 09-22-2011, 09:02 PM

I'd appreciate that Billy! I have a few that should last me until you're feeling better! I can be patient...if I run out of needles on one machine, I'll just move to the next one! :lol: ;)