Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-23-2011, 05:51 AM

justtrish, 301s are going up in price, so $70 isn't unreasonable, but it looks like there is some aluminum rot on the base of that one. If it's only there and only cosmetic, then offer the $50. I love my homely little machine. She does everything I ask and FMQs with never a minute's trouble (as long as I thread her R to L). I will be buying her a lightbulb today - I had to sew with the Necchi last night. It's nice to have back-ups, that's for sure.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:02 AM

Billy, it's good to hear from you. Autoimmune diseases are a b----, that's for sure. You'll get over this flare and learn what you have to do live with it in the future - and I predict a future here for you. You have so much to offer. Prayers and good thoughts.

I'll need some of those needles, too. The little Leader takes a big needle.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by justtrish
Okay, I have finally found a 301...

The owner is asking $70.00 and the machine has been listed since the middle of August.

What should I offer.. I was thinking $50.00???
Offer $35 and go up to $50 if you have to. You can always start low and go higher, it's hard to start higher and take it back! ;)

Point out the faults that you can see to justify the lower price.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:11 AM

Thanks Trish and Charlee.

I have offered $40.00 and pointed out the rot. Also inquired if there is a manual, case, etc....
Old 09-23-2011, 06:44 AM

What exactly IS aluminum rot?
Old 09-23-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Had an interesting experience today. I am looking for an vintage Singer donor machine with a potted motor. Hubby broke head off a screw for 201 cuz he tightened it too much. So am looking in several sewing shops and antique shops without much success. At the last shop, they actually have had vintage Singers before so I explain to the possible OSMG what I need. He says he thinks he might have one in back. He comes back and hands me a plastic head to a screw and syas that this is what I need. I explain again it's a 201, all metal, and need a metal screw. He comes back again after a bit of a wait with something that's not even close and cannot understand why I won't buy it from him. I explain to him that I do know what I'm talking about and looking for and neither of his options worked for me. He finally asks me how do I know this and I said b/c I work on my vintage Singers all the time and saw the complete screw before it broke. OH was his reply. Before the screw business, he had tried to tell me that my 201 could not be from the 40s b/c they were only made starting in the 50s. That should have been my sign right there but I kept hoping. He finally did concede that the 201s were manufactured in the 30s AFTER looking at a sewing machine guide (little blue book no longer available) that he has in the shop.
I did see 2 or 3 complete Bernina 830s for about $400 apiece and wondered if they were worth it? I am not interested but curious. Speaking of Bernina, does anyone on here have a Bernina 807? My sister has one and needs a power cord and I need to know if those are still available.
Chris, that's a decent price for an 830 Record if it comes with a slew of feet, case and slide on table. And if it's in good shape. They're very desirable Berninas.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
What exactly IS aluminum rot?
What a good question... I don't know either.

However, the seller says it is dirt not rot...and it just needs a good cleaning/oiling...
Old 09-23-2011, 07:01 AM

It's similar to rust on iron. It looks like some on the front right corner to me. If that's all there is, then you can clean it up and put something protective on it and it's no big deal. You can get a book online and the only attachment I'm using is a FMQ foot. AnnieRose has no case, but she fits in a JoAnn's rolling case with lots of room to spare for travel. At home, she is never put away.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:11 AM

Hi Billy - welcome back! My newest machine has people torn between how to fix it and toss it away. I got a 603 for $15 (I like that it can chain stitch, and I felt bad for it - and all it's cams just sitting there.) But now the reel holder and reel winder just keep jumping ship after 2" of stitches. After cleaning icky stuff out of the bobbin holder, I am now turning my attention to the tension, which is now looking to me like someone may have tried to fix it without knowing what they where doing. I've been too busy having back to back garage sales and sewing for a craft sale this weekend to play with it. But next week - time to play!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:22 AM

I forgot to show my newest find from my favorite recycled craft place - Nifty Notions Walking Foot - $2.95.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-261086.jpe