Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dolly's sister
Ok I uncovered my little jewel vintage Singer. She is a 1927 Model 66, SN AB724262. I will attach the pictures you've all been waiting for. I posted them on the regular board, but Janice said I needed to post them here too.
She is missing the spool pin for the thread, but I even have the manual that was revised in 1924, it was in the bottom drawer. She is a treadle, seems to work fine, I will clean her up and see how she sews someday.
Wow that is a very nice surprise to find hidden in your house.
Pretty!!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8627772

Black 301 in a trapezoid cabinet, with lots of attachments. Anyone in the indianapolis area, heads up. Big advantage, since pickup only. Hope this goes to a good home. I would love a black one. Mine is the tan, and I got it before I even knew it was good.

M I R I A M!!!!!!
:mrgreen:
Old 09-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

I picked up a Federal sewing machine late last night. I put the shuttle/bobbin area back together and cleaned the surface little. Then thought I would test out her motor... I plugged her in, put the pedal to the metal and she made a nice ear piercing scream - then her rubber belt fell apart and she must have fainted.... Her bobbin winder tire already died. Without the belt her motor sounds and moves wonderful - runs like a sewing machine I guess. There were threads and all kinds of hair and dirt wrapped around the shaft by her balance wheel - turns a lot better without all that. OH, her case (it IS a 'portable' don't you know) had termites or something. I thought someone used WD40 - NOT - I think it was bug spray. There were mud tubes all over the inside of the case top. What's left of the very fragile bottom front of the case is full of tunnels. The very bottom looks like particle board cheese. The back part of the bottom where the hinges go is made of oak and in good shape. I'm hoping DH will help me replace the front board and the bottom board. The paper peeled off a lot of the cover. I'm thinking I would like to know how to get the rest of the paper off, then fix it up nice. I put an old spoked balance wheel on her just because I had one and it is heavier - WOW she turns so nice! Then I got brave and threaded up. OOPS. Someone took her tension apart and got it back together wrong - re-did that - that needs more spa treatment... The thread still kept breaking so I oiled up the shuttle. AH real nice long stitches! I think I need to pull it out of the case, turn it upside down and clean out the bobbin area a bit more. It feels a bit rough. BUT I got it to sew! The motor and light wires are soft and I couldn't see any cracks. DH will want to check it over before it comes in the house or stays plugged in very much. It amazes me that this machine will stitch without being perfectly cleaned up - she must be very forgiving. I think this one is a keeper. She does need a name.

this is before I did anything. I'm not done yet. The termite damage is not in the picture. It is the front left corner or so.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]261277[/ATTACH]

I would like to fix this case up. Any hints? How about the latches? I got the cob webs out of them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]261279[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-261224.jpe   attachment-261226.jpe  
Old 09-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dolly's sister
Ok I uncovered my little jewel vintage Singer. She is a 1927 Model 66, SN AB724262. I will attach the pictures you've all been waiting for. I posted them on the regular board, but Janice said I needed to post them here too.
She is missing the spool pin for the thread, but I even have the manual that was revised in 1924, it was in the bottom drawer. She is a treadle, seems to work fine, I will clean her up and see how she sews someday.

Oh, she and her cabinet look lovely :)
Old 09-23-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
I picked up a Federal sewing machine late last night. I put the shuttle/bobbin area back together and cleaned the surface little. Then thought I would test out her motor... I plugged her in, put the pedal to the metal and she made a nice ear piercing scream - then her rubber belt fell apart and she must have fainted.... Her bobbin winder tire already died. Without the belt her motor sounds and moves wonderful - runs like a sewing machine I guess. There were threads and all kinds of hair and dirt wrapped around the shaft by her balance wheel - turns a lot better without all that. OH, her case (it IS a 'portable' don't you know) had termites or something. I thought someone used WD40 - NOT - I think it was bug spray. There were mud tubes all over the inside of the case top. What's left of the very fragile bottom front of the case is full of tunnels. The very bottom looks like particle board cheese. The back part of the bottom where the hinges go is made of oak and in good shape. I'm hoping DH will help me replace the front board and the bottom board. The paper peeled off a lot of the cover. I'm thinking I would like to know how to get the rest of the paper off, then fix it up nice. I put an old spoked balance wheel on her just because I had one and it is heavier - WOW she turns so nice! Then I got brave and threaded up. OOPS. Someone took her tension apart and got it back together wrong - re-did that - that needs more spa treatment... The thread still kept breaking so I oiled up the shuttle. AH real nice long stitches! I think I need to pull it out of the case, turn it upside down and clean out the bobbin area a bit more. It feels a bit rough. BUT I got it to sew! The motor and light wires are soft and I couldn't see any cracks. DH will want to check it over before it comes in the house or stays plugged in very much. It amazes me that this machine will stitch without being perfectly cleaned up - she must be very forgiving. I think this one is a keeper. She does need a name.
:lol: :lol: at the bolded

She is very nice looking considering you only gave her a light cleaning!!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Google Goddess

cute idea to use for antique sewing machine decals

http://justsomethingimade.com/2009/1...singer-decals/
Old 09-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justtrish
:lol: :lol: at the bolded

She is very nice looking considering you only gave her a light cleaning!!
she was cheap too...
Old 09-23-2011, 11:43 AM

Miriam, I think I'd strip off the rest of the covering, sand it down, paint it and then either use a pretty decal or decorative painting to decorate it...

Pretty machine!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:53 AM

I will take a 15 clone over any machine. They are very forgiving and you will enjoy this machine. Nice. I agree with Charlee, just strip the case and seal it up with a pretty paint job. Enjoy!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:59 AM

I was just given an old portable Singer, it's not in the best of shape but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get it running? It is in black case and appears to have all the parts. I have not had a chance to plug it in and see what might happen. The lady just gave it to me. The serial #G355306 indicates it is a 1914. It has a blue motor on it, I'm assuming that's a later fix to it. What do you think?