Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-29-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Okay - I got the 15. I have a question. It measures about 7" under the harp and is about 14 1/2" by 7" - about the size of my 99. But the tension is on the front and by the serial numbers, it says its a 15. I thought they were bigger. Its all right by me, I want to put a crank on it (and I have one here handy!) and it is sure heavy enough already. I just had a question about it.
Deplaylady, that machine is not the size of a 99. A 99 or 28/128 measures 6.5"'s by 12"s - about 3/4's the size of a regular machine. I was really excited when you described this machine as the same size as your 99 - that would have made it an anomaly - very exciting! But, your machine at 14.5"s long is a regular size machine. Sorry to tell you this!

But, on a good note do you realize how rare it is to find a 15 with the Tiffany/Gingerbread decals! I'd love to own one!
Nancy
For some reason, i thought 15s had the same throat space as my 201 - not sure why! anyways, yes its bigger than the 99. Someday I'll have to take a pic the 201, 15, 99, 221 and the Sewhandy just to compare sizes.
I didn't know the Gingerbread was harder to find. I am really pleased at the condition of the decals. I finally sewed with it last night - it sewed great - crank and all! Actually it was kond of fun!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by jljack
I went to our quilting friendship group last night, and DottieBug brought me an OLD Singer 15 that is frozen up. Someone gave it to her, and her hubby said "I'm not helping you with that one", so she gifted it to me....

Gifted? Cursed? Not sure yet....it's kinda ragged, but we'll see what happens when I get a chance to work on it. Not soon, that's for sure. I'm up to my eyeballs right now.
Congrats on your free machine!!!
Funniest thing!! Two days ago when my 15 clone arrived, my DH says, "You need to think about NO MORE MACHINES right now...we have other priorities". I agreed with him. Well, same night is when Dottie gave me the 15, and I brought it home and told him.."we're in trouble...machines are starting to follow me home." When I told him about it being frozen up, etc, he just shook his head. Last night he says "I'm kinda interested in working on that 15 she gave you." WHAT??? :shock: HaHa!! I think he's caught the bug!!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:20 AM

Miriam, I love the Spartan's! A friend of mine just picked up a Spartan that had been converted to a HC at the TOGA we went to this month! Geeze, it was so cute with the spoked wheel and HC!

Nancy
Nancy, that was a really cute Spartan....glad your friend got that one.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 AM

Miriam, I love the Spartan's! A friend of mine just picked up a Spartan that had been converted to a HC at the TOGA we went to this month! Geeze, it was so cute with the spoked wheel and HC!

Nancy
Nancy, that was a really cute Spartan....glad your friend got that one.
I saw that Spartan that her friend picked up. It is cute and pretty, looks to be a sweet machine! She got it for a good deal too!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:43 AM

[quote=jljack][quote=vintagemotif]
I went to our quilting friendship group last night, and DottieBug brought me an OLD Singer 15 that is frozen up.
Funniest thing!! Two days ago when my 15 clone arrived, my DH says, "You need to think about NO MORE MACHINES right now...we have other priorities". I agreed with him. Well, same night is when Dottie gave me the 15, and I brought it home and told him.."we're in trouble...machines are starting to follow me home." When I told him about it being frozen up, etc, he just shook his head. Last night he says "I'm kinda interested in working on that 15 she gave you." WHAT??? :shock: HaHa!! I think he's caught the bug!!
Heehee, The vintages gals/gents are now following you home!!! Word's out! Somehow they know who will take good care of them. Have fun cleaning this one up and getting her running again.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:56 AM

This Vesta is to drool over. Sometimes, I just like to torture myself wandering the CL; oh well, it's fun and educational-and free way to learn.

http://frederick.craigslist.org/fuo/2582730936.html

Some machines are just for the looking. For me, this one is just for the looking...it was a pleasure for just the peek!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 AM

what is the smallest treadle sewing machine is there one the size of a feather weight ?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:04 AM

what a beauty !
Old 09-29-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Do all the model 15 machines take the same bobbin?
They all take a class 15 bobbin, yes. However....my FW also takes a class 15, but I can't use the bobbins from my FW in my 15-91 for some reason....
Charlee are you sure about that one? My FW's all take a skinner bobbin than a class 15? It is a special FW bobbin that the 301 also takes. I have never tried a class 15 bobbin in a FW?

Nancy
:) Nope! Not sure at all...someone told me that the FW took a class 15 tho...and I never verified it. I do know that they won't work in my 15-91 or vice versa... hmmmmm...that shoulda been my first clue?
:oops: :lol:
Charlee,

What's your next sewing project? lol Now that you got them all cleaned up and looking pretty, those vintage ladies want to sew. I say you should do another shirt for you husband. ;)
Old 09-29-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Karen Powell
what is the smallest treadle sewing machine is there one the size of a feather weight ?
Don't know. Maybe a machine for a Singer 99; there are other vintage machines before the Singer 99, possibly one of them could be.

There is one person that has taken a FW and converted it to treadle, can't remember where I read that, but I read it. And it can be done, treadling a FW, just need to make a cabinet top to fit on top of treadle-and remove motor. This is a no-brainer.....