Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-03-2011, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I am going to try to post pictures of our oldest machine. (We have 38). It is an 1852 Grover and Baker treadle with a coffin lid. It has a beautiful Walnut cabinet and the machine moves freely. It is going to have to be cleaned up and "polished". It has been in a storage unit for 6 years. The only thing we can see that it needs is "beautification and some TLC".

Machine with coffin lid off
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265708[/ATTACH]

Close up of machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265709[/ATTACH]

Machine with lid on
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265710[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-265655.jpe   attachment-265656.jpe   attachment-265657.jpe  
Old 10-03-2011, 06:15 AM

I was just wondering, does anyone know the approximate capacity of bobbins like the 66, 221 and the 15?
Old 10-03-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Oh my...this one in PA is PREEEEEEETTTTTTTTTYYYYYY!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Nati...item3f0e83a1ca
I would be there in a heartbeat BUT it's on the other side of the state ............ too far to drive. Why aren't things like this offered in MY neck of the woods?????
Old 10-03-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by sammygirlqt
I have been working all weekend redoing a small sewing cabinet. I am using the tutorial posted here and it is working well. I am using an antique remover which strips off the shellac but not down to raw wood. The instructions say to rub with steel wool until the finish is removed and then go over the entire cabinet again. I have done this but even after 3 times over, there seems to be some stickiness remaining. Would this still be some shellac? Should I go over it now with varsol? I don't want to start my danish oil finish if my cabinet is not cleaned enough. What do you experts think?
The stickiness means still more shellac. Washing it with denatured alcohol using the steel wool would be my choice, then wipe it with a clean towel. You don't want to put an oil finish on over that sticky residue as it won't be absorbed evenly.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie
I am going to try to post pictures of our oldest machine. (We have 38). It is an 1852 Grover and Baker treadle with a coffin lid. It has a beautiful Walnut cabinet and the machine moves freely. It is going to have to be cleaned up and "polished". It has been in a storage unit for 6 years. The only thing we can see that it needs is "beautification and some TLC".
What a beautiful machine!! I never saw a Gover and Baker.

Texas Jan
Old 10-03-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by MarieM
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Another CL that I emailed on. No, I don't NEED anymore machines - I thought I might just go look if they are still available...
http://rochester.craigslist.org/hsh/2628322190.html
Wish I still lived in central NY. That looks like a really good deal.
I've run in to a few good ones recently. Enough that when my DD saw the last machine she told her 4 month old DD that Grandma has issues. Of course the issues don't count when I sewing up stuff.
Well, went and looked. And bought. The treadle is a a 66 - AA559880 - 8/11/1925. The cabinet has seven drawers, I think I have a key that will fit the drawers. It also came with attachments and a manual for an electric 66. The second one is a 128, AE520815, 5/26/1937. Bottom of the box only, but it has it shuttle (nice and shiny!) and a bobbin. I'll post some pictures when I get them out of the car - right now Ava is sleeping -she went with me. She was with me when I bought the 201 also. It's her fault I bought them. Bad, bad baby! That $10 can come out of her college fund! No, Grandma would never do that!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Hi Billy,
Good to see you back on the board again. I've been praying for your recovery.
I kinda knew that shipping would be frighteningly expensive, but OMG that's worse than I feared. :shock:
I would love to have red eye in like new condition, my current red eye(1910) has crazed decals and her share of dings; but sews a beautiful stitch. When I bought it, it was cleaned up for the most part; just needed a bit more cleaning and a few more sips of oil in places. You can see my red eye in my avatar picture, I named her, Ruth, after my paternal grandma.
Sharon W. in Texas
Old 10-03-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Janis
Thanks deplaylady and miriam for your help. I went on the Sew-Clasic site and looked at their prices for the bobbins. They are a lot cheaper than I found for the 99. Is that a good price for the ones for the FW too? I'm wondering if they are more expensive because the machines are in larger demand.
My sister got FW bobbins for her 301 and was happy.
Yes, those 2 take exactly the same bobbin.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Well, I don't know what happened, but if this is a double post, sorry!

Made a haul today, beautiful weather, perfect for yard sales even if I didn't get started until noon.

At one place, I was about to start opening up Singer cabinets to see what was inside (4 of them!) but the seller said they were already sold, the customer just couldn't fit them all in her truck at once. (Yep, done that before!) I so want to know what was in them now. :) Had a box of blackside attachments sitting on top too.

But that's okay, I got 2 machines for a whopping $15 bucks. The Universal needs a presser foot screw and has no foot pedal, but it's pink and white with chrome, how can you go wrong with that? The real keeper is the Elna Supermatic. No manual, but looks like most everything I need is there, including some cams and the knee bar. She makes a weird clunky jerking sound (maybe from the belt area?) but she does run. I'll have to spend a little time figuring that out.

Then, I found a puzzle box at another sale. The seller was all ready to tell me what it was and show it off, but I think I disappointed him a little when I actually knew how it worked. Oh well, he has my $5 and I've got a puzzle box, we're both happy now. :D
Bennett you can get the manual for your Supermatic online for free...I got one for mine. I need the folding knee lever for mine...a bugger to find!! You're lucky you have it..most of them are missing.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:54 AM

Two newest, semi-cleaned. I'm going to put a crank on the 128, not sure what to do with the 66, I have no room!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]265796[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]265800[/ATTACH]

66 (needs slide plate)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265801[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-265743.jpe   attachment-265747.jpe   attachment-265748.jpe