Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-16-2011, 02:57 PM

I just realized that my earlier post was really messed up! The first paragraph should have been at the end instead of being first. Sorry.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by deplaylady
I finished cleaning my 15-30. I put a repro hand crank on it also and painted out the Chinese letters - fortunately mine moves really smoothly and quietly. I had bought the machine for $20 and it was missing the slide plate - and the box. I bought a wood box on eBay that was covered with ugly wallpaper.I removed the wallpaper thinking I would paint it but the joints didn't look very good. So I put red oak veneer on it and stained it. Here is the finished product:
REALLY pretty!! Was the veneer very expensive?
Not really - the veneer cost $10 total. It was in iron-on pre-glued rolls.
That is sooooo cool!! I love how that box came out.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
My Belair 929 (circa late 1950s?). Billy thinks she was made by Morse. She's a "dirty girl" and has seen a lot of use judging from the wear on the front of the bed. The foot controller was cut off and I had an EUREKA moment when I realized that I did have a foot control that came with the Plymouth, a model 15 Japanese clone, that I purchased last July. I plugged her in and she runs. Now to begin the deep cleaning and oiling she needs. BTW, a manual came with her. Whoohooo!

What is the red plastic thing in the shuttle case?

I think I will name her Marilyn after Marilyn Monroe.
Cute machine. Does the manual mention the red thing? Glad you found a cord for it. I have several of the light/motor block cord machines and have about gathered up enough to set them all up at once. Can't wait to see it prettied up.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Try retheading your machine, try changing your needle, take out the bobbin and put it back in. Kathie
That is one of the problems, I'm not sure how to thread the bobbin through. And it really need a deep cleaning. But it's too wet to take it outside and give it a bath.[/quote]
When you put your bobbin make sure the thread is coming from the top of the bobbin and bring it towards you. Put it throught the slit in the bobbin case and bring the thread to the back of the machine. It threads just like the bobbin on the new machines. Kathie[/quote]

I have found manuals and full instructions for every Singer machine I have for free on ISMaCS or other site. You have to have the needle in the right way, and thread the needle correctly for it to pick up the bobbin thread...when I first tried my 66 in treadle, I couldn't get it to pick up the bobbin thread...until one of the wonderful people here told me exactly how to put the needle in and thread it. First try after that it worked!!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Look at my latest find. Glenn
She's a beauty!!! I love those decals!!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by olebat
Phooey. Thought there was a sub thread for just vintage photos, but can't seem to locate it any more. At guild show and tell a few months back, I showed some photos of my new vintage acquisitions. I was asked to display the machines at the quilt show, which was this weekend. Unfortunately, I had also volunteered to fill a booth at a local county fair, not realizing that the two overlapped. So I set up at both. Here are photos from the show.
OLEBAT!!! I love this idea!!! We are having our guild quilt show in January 2012, and I am chairwoman this time around. I am going to steal your idea...if you don't mind...and set up displays of vintage machines. A bunch of our members have them....that is a wonderful idea!! :-) You are an inspiration!!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Phooey. Thought there was a sub thread for just vintage photos, but can't seem to locate it any more. At guild show and tell a few months back, I showed some photos of my new vintage acquisitions. I was asked to display the machines at the quilt show, which was this weekend. Unfortunately, I had also volunteered to fill a booth at a local county fair, not realizing that the two overlapped. So I set up at both. Here are photos from the show.
OLEBAT!!! I love this idea!!! We are having our guild quilt show in January 2012, and I am chairwoman this time around. I am going to steal your idea...if you don't mind...and set up displays of vintage machines. A bunch of our members have them....that is a wonderful idea!! :-) You are an inspiration!!

Isn't it great?? My mind is running a mile a minute as well! :)
Old 10-16-2011, 03:38 PM

Hey, Charlee & Monica & Nancy...guess what...I won a Davis Vertical Feed machine on auction this weekend, along with some attachments of some kind (haven't seen a good pic of them yet). It's just the machine, no cabinet or base, but I am sooo excited!!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:45 PM

. . . I was asked to display the machines at the quilt show, which was this weekend. . . . Here are photos from the show.
No fee for the idea - it isn't original. The bonus is that several people were impressed and volunteered to give me some of their old, unwanted machines. (Next time, I'll need a bigger trailer.)
Old 10-16-2011, 03:47 PM

. . . I was asked to display the machines at the quilt show, which was this weekend. . . . Here are photos from the show.
No fee for the idea - it isn't original. The bonus is that several people were impressed and volunteered to give me some of their old, unwanted machines. (Next time, I'll need a bigger trailer.)
Huh OH!!! LOL That could be a blessing or a curse!! LOL