Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Hanging my head in absolute shame... I dragged home a couple sewing machines today.... One of them is pppppplastic. Oh for shame. It is a Genie. It is all there. I don't know why but it kind of spoke to me. Next I have to get it cleaned up & running I guess. What ever. plenty of time for that one. I found a PDF manual. Seems like it might be nice to haul around - not too bad for weight.

The other machine followed me home and we let it in the house... OH my! I've been watching FOREVER for a Singer 319. This one needs some TLC - it has a bad case of neglect. I need a manual for sure. I don't think I can figure it out with out one. WOW. I'm sure it is pretty under all that grunge. The table is simply. drop. dead. beautiful. DH even admired this one. It had a handful of attachments and yes the bobbin case is there. It has a couple extra throat plates, too. I noticed it has an internal belt and an external belt??? Wonder why? How hard is it to get needles and bobbins?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:46 PM

Had some time hop around some garage sales. My treasure today--pulling the old Singer "button" foot pedal out of a torn up cabinet for 3 bucks. Always check the torn up cabinets for parts. :)

Saw a 301 advertised, went to see it. Tan short bed in a cabinet, has the bobbin case. The seller recognized me from my part time job, and we chatted. He told me it was his mother's. She apparently made dolls and other "soft" crafts with it. A little too much for me right now, but I may go back on Sunday. He said it would be nice to sell her to someone who would appreciate her. She runs well, may need a new cord, and has some scratches on top. It's one of those machines I'd like to have, but it would have to be a good deal.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-275006.jpe   attachment-275007.jpe  
Old 10-21-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Doing the happy dance here is LA today!! I filled in part of my wish list this morning at a garage sale....a Red eye, electric, decent decals, pics to follow later today. Marked $25, paid $20, already rewired and sews. I even remembered to take before pics. Can anyone tell me the years that the Red eye decal was used? Is there a web site that tells that? I was thinking there was one on the unmentionable site that is not available to some of us, so if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Edit: I already know that it is a 66, G3320914, November 20, 1913, one of 12,000. I guess my question is in general, what was the first year of the red eye, and last year of it as well?

The recorded use of the Redeye decals ran from 1910 to 1925, according to the site that I get most of my information from! :)
Old 10-21-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Had some time hop around some garage sales. My treasure today--pulling the old Singer "button" foot pedal out of a torn up cabinet for 3 bucks. Always check the torn up cabinets for parts. :)

Saw a 301 advertised, went to see it. Tan short bed in a cabinet, has the bobbin case. The seller recognized me from my part time job, and we chatted. He told me it was his mother's. She apparently made dolls and other "soft" crafts with it. A little too much for me right now, but I may go back on Sunday. He said it would be nice to sell her to someone who would appreciate her. She runs well, may need a new cord, and has some scratches on top. It's one of those machines I'd like to have, but it would have to be a good deal.
Nice! Hopefully you can get it!!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Hanging my head in absolute shame... I dragged home a couple sewing machines today.... One of them is pppppplastic. Oh for shame. It is a Genie. It is all there. I don't know why but it kind of spoke to me. Next I have to get it cleaned up & running I guess. What ever. plenty of time for that one. I found a PDF manual. Seems like it might be nice to haul around - not too bad for weight.

The other machine followed me home and we let it in the house... OH my! I've been watching FOREVER for a Singer 319. This one needs some TLC - it has a bad case of neglect. I need a manual for sure. I don't think I can figure it out with out one. WOW. I'm sure it is pretty under all that grunge. The table is simply. drop. dead. beautiful. DH even admired this one. It had a handful of attachments and yes the bobbin case is there. It has a couple extra throat plates, too. I noticed it has an internal belt and an external belt??? Wonder why? How hard is it to get needles and bobbins?

I'm thinking the rescue of the 319 MIGHT get you some leeway on bringing home a...a....a.....well...you know!! ;) :lol:
Old 10-21-2011, 01:27 PM

I know someone posted this once...think I might have saved the info, but now that I want it, it's gone. LOL! Where can I find the size of needles for different machines? Looking for the 401A needle size, but want to laminate all the singer sizes with the machines and post it under my nose so I don't have to ask again, or each time I can't remember!! ;o(
Old 10-21-2011, 01:37 PM

ok, you have a great day and buy sewing machines, sounds
good to me! I looked at a Genie sewing machine, it so 70's.
I think there is a little hippi peace & love, beetles.
But I really want one of the toy metal or iron sewing machines. It would look so much better than my little glass things I have in my case. They do seem to be high.
Maybe I will luck out one day, super lucky 2 0r 3 would
look even better. Have a great time working on your new
sewing machines. Enjoy the day!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sew wishful
I know someone posted this once...think I might have saved the info, but now that I want it, it's gone. LOL! Where can I find the size of needles for different machines? Looking for the 401A needle size, but want to laminate all the singer sizes with the machines and post it under my nose so I don't have to ask again, or each time I can't remember!! ;o(
401s use normal needles
Old 10-21-2011, 01:45 PM

I'm picking up a set of straight leg Singer treadle irons tomorrow, it looks like its all there. My current Singer treadle like this is missing a bolt.

The irons are $15! :-D

http://austin.craigslist.org/atq/2609205647.html

Sharon W.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by sherian
ok, you have a great day and buy sewing machines, sounds
good to me! I looked at a Genie sewing machine, it so 70's.
I think there is a little hippi peace & love, beetles.
But I really want one of the toy metal or iron sewing machines. It would look so much better than my little glass things I have in my case. They do seem to be high.
Maybe I will luck out one day, super lucky 2 0r 3 would
look even better. Have a great time working on your new
sewing machines. Enjoy the day!
I have a Singer Genie 353, its a nice little machine. Its heavy for its size about 20 pounds.