Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

Well, Glen you are right. I took off the clamp and that bar is visibly cocked - the clamp screw is forward - it fits in a hole so I'm sure it is off. I could not find an adjustment screw at all. I should not fix this tonight. The only tool I can think of is a hammer. I so do not want a parts machine. NOT TWO IN ONE DAY. There has to be some kind of adjustment for that shaft.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:21 PM

Miriam please no hammer. Post a pic for tomorrow so I can see the needle bar scince this is a clone it may not have an adjustment that can be seen visible. I have one other solution but want to see a pic first before I tell you. Not a secret but don't want you try it until I see it first.
Glenn
Old 10-24-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by bloomin'Iris
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Thanks Vintagemotif I could not think Tiffiney. I knew it was a 66 but could remember the name of the decal
I see those decals and think of old Victorian homes in SF and gingerbread.
It is a very pretty machine and is very victorian. After unsing the VS2 I don't think I will be looking for anymore 66's
What is a VS2?
Vibrating shuttle #2, an early model of Singer. :)
How can you tell a difference? Are they different sizes?
It's a 27, before it was called 27. ;) :)
okay.....I'm a rookie here.......just what does that mean? :roll: Just recently started collecting these machines, 8 treadles in cabinets but not sure, right now how many have the shuttle bobbin. I know one of them, a Domestic, needs a shuttle. Are shuttles interchangeable? Within the same makes or models? If a shuttle fits in the casing, does that mean it would be okay to operate? I compared two shuttles tonight, side by side. One had a four digit number, the other looked like there might have been some kind of indication on it but couldn't really make anything out.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Thanks Vintagemotif I could not think Tiffiney. I knew it was a 66 but could remember the name of the decal
I see those decals and think of old Victorian homes in SF and gingerbread.
It is a very pretty machine and is very victorian. After unsing the VS2 I don't think I will be looking for anymore 66's
What is a VS2?
Vibrating shuttle #2, an early model of Singer. :)
How can you tell a difference? Are they different sizes?
It's a 27, before it was called 27. ;) :)
okay.....I'm a rookie here.......just what does that mean? :roll: Just recently started collecting these machines, 8 treadles in cabinets but not sure, right now how many have the shuttle bobbin. I know one of them, a Domestic, needs a shuttle. Are shuttles interchangeable? Within the same makes or models? If a shuttle fits in the casing, does that mean it would be okay to operate? I compared two shuttles tonight, side by side. One had a four digit number, the other looked like there might have been some kind of indication on it but couldn't really make anything out.
Some shuttles are interchangeable some are not. As far as the bobbins- if a long bobbin will fit inside the shuttle and not protrude from the end of shuttle to cause binding in the holder it will work. Bobbins are not that critical except in old White machines where the bobbin has a hole down the center of the bobbin to fit the shaft inside the shuttle. I have interchange shuttles but it is trail and error. Hope this helps.
Glenn
Old 10-24-2011, 05:37 PM

No. Shuttles are not interchangeable between different kinds of machines. What fits a Singer 27 will fit other Singer 27's and 127's, and most likely will also fit the 28 and 128. They will not fit your Domestic tho.

You might try it, keeping the slide open so you can watch what's happening, and ONLY TURN THE HANDWHEEL WITH YOUR HAND...if you try to treadle with the slide open you can damage your machine.

Some races (where the shuttle fits in) are shaped differently...the Singer shuttles have a little notch in them that is needed to fit down into the race properly. I have a couple of machines that have shuttles, but the shuttles don't have notches. Different shuttles are different lengths too.

What machine are you looking for a shuttle for?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:40 PM

Hey Charlee have you sewed with VF yet? How does it sew
Old 10-24-2011, 05:45 PM

It's fun Glenn! I need to run it some more on muslin...the spousal unit kinda sorta over oiled and it's still pretty messy at the moment..that's on my to-do list for tomorrow. :)

I really want to use it to quilt...I think it would be a great straight line quilter! :)
Old 10-24-2011, 05:46 PM

It's fun Glenn! I need to run it some more on muslin...the spousal unit kinda sorta over oiled and it's still pretty messy at the moment..that's on my to-do list for tomorrow. :)

I really want to use it to quilt...I think it would be a great straight line quilter! :)
I guess I need to find me one to try quilting with
Glenn
Old 10-24-2011, 06:17 PM

Thank you!

By the way, I stopped at a local Goodwill and was stunned to see a treadle! I went home to tell my sister about it and she asked what I was waiting for. We went back pretty quick, but it had already been claimed! :thumbdown:

quote=Bennett]
Originally Posted by Celeste
I finally found a treadle at a decent price, What kind of needles?

Oh, forgot to answer your needle question, the Family Rotary machines take regular old 15x1 needles. I'm pretty sure I've seen the manual for them online too. Somehow I've ended up with 3 FRs hanging around wanting me to work on them. Found out tons of stuff here: http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession[/quote]
Old 10-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Here's another question. I'm trying to identify a Singer they think is a 99. They told me the serial number is AC058620. Looking at the ISMACs list, I see AC, but the first number is,of course, 1! Can anyone help me with that?

I think I remember seeing a 66 and 99 can go either tredle or turned into a handcrank?