Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Banned

It feels good to be tinkering around again! I tire out real easy but with plenty of naps in between the playtime helps out.

Billy
Old 10-26-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom
Originally Posted by kwendt
ALERT: Nice looking Singer 66-1 Red Head (Eye) with the SILVER badge at auction from the Rochester Goodwill. Backclamp, has reg foot. Bed is dusty or possibly clouded. But decals look pristine, little to no wear in the pictures. A FIND. If shipping weren't $54, I'd get it.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8807154

Somebody please rescue this baby...
The hand wheel looks crooked to me.
The finish is shot on that red eye, or maybe its just really poor quality pictures.
shipping is outrageous.
Look at the little picture of the hand wheel, you are right , it does look odd.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I am going on a mystery quilting retreat in NH with my sister's next week. (There will be around 100 people total attending.) I've got my material all cut out (no clue what it will end up as, but hey, is a mystery!) Anyways, I am taking my featherweight for the first time.This was the original excuse I gave myself to buy it and so I thought I'd better spend some quality time with miss Daisy before we drive off on our trip. I don't know how I could have forgotten how nice she sews! And tonight for the first time I tried FMQ with my FW - and it came out beautifully! I'm not going to miss hauling the larger machines and worrying a the computer components. Sewing on this machine just kind of makes me smile. Anyone else bring older machines to retreats full of newer shinier models?
I don't usually do well at retreats or group crafting sessions...I'm so busy visiting that I get absolutely NOTHING done!! :lol:

You'll post pictures for us? :) I hope you have the BEST time!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 PM

Well, here's some shots of my little Davis VF that arrived today. She's a MESS...my DH and I will work on cleaning her up as much as we can over the next few days. Some kind of gunk is just coated on her. Someone put a crappy motor on her some time in the distant past. But, she came with a.....shuttle!!! The prized boat shuttle!! And a bobbin. I am pleased about that. And everything moves smoothly, but needs cleaning and oiling extremely badly. She's a real project. Glad she came to us!!! We're up for it!!!

The prized shuttle & bobbin!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]277675[/ATTACH]

And a box of attachments!!! YAY!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]277676[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-277619.jpe   attachment-277620.jpe   attachment-277621.jpe   attachment-277622.jpe   attachment-277623.jpe  

Old 10-26-2011, 09:53 PM

YAY!! I'm so glad she got here!! I have no doubt that you will work wondrous magic on her!

And....just totally uncalled for on my part...but I'm EXTREMELY jealous of those attachments!! :lol: ;)
Old 10-26-2011, 09:54 PM

Janice, I am glad that you got your machine. Thanks for posting the pictures. Now I know what the shuttle and bobbin look like. I'm sure that if anyone can have her looking pretty again, you and your hubby can. I'll look forward to seeing future pictures of her. I'm happy for you!!!
Janis

What is that thing on the top of the arm of the machine?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Well, here's some shots of my little Davis VF that arrived today. She's a MESS...my DH and I will work on cleaning her up as much as we can over the next few days. Some kind of gunk is just coated on her. Someone put a crappy motor on her some time in the distant past. But, she came with a.....shuttle!!! The prized boat shuttle!! And a bobbin. I am pleased about that. And everything moves smoothly, but needs cleaning and oiling extremely badly. She's a real project. Glad she came to us!!! We're up for it!!!
AWESOME!

Janice, Congrats on your new vintage machine. Can't tell if it's a boy or a girl yet...maybe a tomboy.

Looks like the junk on the machine might be the glaze all full of dirt and oil. I think this is a machine that just has to be cleaned to the point that all the junk is removed. Just do a test with oil to see if there are any decals. Most likely you will be stripping it down to the little bit of japan that is left on the machine and metal.

Maybe you should give this tomboy a heavy metal name. :)

Congrats on the attachments, way cool!

Looking forward to future pictures.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
I have been given (a free machine) A singer Model 648, Touch and Sew, made in 1969. It is clean and runs, but I don't know how to wind a bobbin on the thing. So far I haven't found a free Manual for it. If I can get it to sew, I will donate it to a quilt guild down in far south Texas that teaches poor women to sew and quilt. They have so few machines that they have to share. Anyone have any info for me??

Texas Jan
Those machines are good for parts... :mrgreen:
Old 10-27-2011, 01:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by Celeste
Originally Posted by kwendt
ALERT: Nice looking Singer 66-1 Red Head (Eye) with the SILVER badge at auction from the Rochester Goodwill. Backclamp, has reg foot. Bed is dusty or possibly clouded. But decals look pristine, little to no wear in the pictures. A FIND. If shipping weren't $54, I'd get it.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8807154

Somebody please rescue this baby...
$71 for me! :shock:
See the 'reserve not met'? I've bid on things from the Rochester Goodwill before - even though I'm in town the reserve is usually so high its hardly worth bidding. There is a white that is up to $25.99 that has been up over $50 before - if it doesn't make reserve they pull it and list them again later.
Looks like that one has a bent balance wheel shaft
Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jpete523
Miriam,
I'm way behind reading the posts but if you're still looking for cams I have numbers 2, 3, 4, and 5 for a Model 306. PM me if you're interested.
Jan

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by melinda1962
Miriam,
The cams from a 306 as well as from other singers, such as the Singer Merritt 2543C, yes a plastic machine, uses the same cams as the 319. My 319 had only one, but I found the others for a song after I realized they would fit it. The needles I got online, and manual as well. Cool little machine as far as I am concerned.
I've got my eyes wide open...
I have 1-6 I'm watching for an affordable Merritt too. What is a good price?