Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-31-2011, 12:43 PM

Is there a reliable website that shows the differences between the old Singers? I'm driving myself nuts trying to pick out a vintage machine. I did receive some responses about the Singer 128, but I'm not sure how it differs from the Singer 99K and would like to look that up.

I understand that some of you have extraordinary luck picking up these machines for $50 or less, but I assure you, there haven't been any in my area for a long, long time... that's why I'm looking on eBay.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DonnaC
Is there a reliable website that shows the differences between the old Singers? I'm driving myself nuts trying to pick out a vintage machine. I did receive some responses about the Singer 128, but I'm not sure how it differs from the Singer 99K and would like to look that up.

I understand that some of you have extraordinary luck picking up these machines for $50 or less, but I assure you, there haven't been any in my area for a long, long time... that's why I'm looking on eBay.
What are you planning to do with your vintage sewing machine? (Makes a difference what you buy.) Are you piecing, FM, etc? Just liking the idea of vintage? I'm really into the slant-o-matics. Others here are into treadles. One of us might have something you might like to buy. Do you want one to haul around? We could start a topic about 'what machine do you sew on and what do you use that machine for?' How ever there are a lot of people with their needle stuck in the groove of brand new is tons better than vintage and they all show up and seem very determined. I prefer a Singer 403 or 503 - they do a lot - they are all metal, you can see the needle, they have a drop in bobbin, economical, parts are available - easy for me to work - they thread front to back - when you are dyslexic that is a huge plus. I've seen the light on the 15 clones. Very nice machines and not terribly expensive - sew through anything. I can fix them and I can see what I'm doing. Some on here are going to have a favorite Singer 66 or what ever. I now have one but I haven't tried it out yet. Maybe each would give a reason for liking what they have.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:05 PM

Are you looking for treadle or electric machine?

Here is a good deal on a White in treadle:
http://providence.craigslist.org/atq/2675938310.html
Old 10-31-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Here is a good deal on a White in treadle:
http://providence.craigslist.org/atq/2675938310.html

A free one:
http://providence.craigslist.org/zip/2634645186.html

just needs some work.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:10 PM

[quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

$25 e-machine in cabinet. Motor is external. Comes with attachments
http://providence.craigslist.org/atq/2665383328.html
Old 10-31-2011, 01:15 PM

And a pink Necchi that could be treadled too!
http://providence.craigslist.org/atq/2644486519.html

I'm having fun shopping!

Wonder what Singer is in this cabinet.
http://providence.craigslist.org/atq/2640829092.html
Old 10-31-2011, 01:28 PM

Miriam asked some really good questions... I can tell you that I love my 28K (pretty much the same as a 128, a bit older). Mine is a handcrank, and I ABSOLUTLY love that about it! (No, it's not difficult to use or to guide the fabric!)

If you buy the machine, make double sure that it has the shuttle and bobbin... they aren't terribly hard to find, BUT! They're expensive. I think you should do what feels best to you!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:41 PM

Hi, guys/gals!! I have a 128 that I picked up at a garage sale for $25 in a Bentwood case. I just offered to pay what they asked without checking it over very well....to say the least. The motor has broken off, so wondered if I could attach a handcrank to it?? I know nothing about doing this, but if there is a tutorial for it, I can read and follow directions. So that was question one. If the answer is yes, then...where can I find a crank for it and would it be easy for me to do alone? I'm crossing fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes....braiding my hair if that would work...Please please please!!!??? Thanks so much for taking a moment and pondering my questions.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

Miriam asked some really good questions... I can tell you that I love my 28K (pretty much the same as a 128, a bit older). Mine is a handcrank, and I ABSOLUTLY love that about it! (No, it's not difficult to use or to guide the fabric!)

If you buy the machine, make double sure that it has the shuttle and bobbin... they aren't terribly hard to find, BUT! They're expensive. I think you should do what feels best to you!
I agree with Charlee, that you should do what feels best for your needs and wants.

Don't mind me posting CLs postings. I just love to wander the listings when bored finding good or interesting deals- even if others aren't interested since that isn't what they are really looking for.

I would look for a Singer 15-90 with external motor that could be used for FM quilting and piecing, and could be converted to treadle later if going that direction. And the harp space is large.

Have fun hunting!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Hi, guys/gals!! I have a 128 that I picked up at a garage sale for $25 in a Bentwood case. I just offered to pay what they asked without checking it over very well....to say the least. The motor has broken off, so wondered if I could attach a handcrank to it?? I know nothing about doing this, but if there is a tutorial for it, I can read and follow directions. So that was question one. If the answer is yes, then...where can I find a crank for it and would it be easy for me to do alone? I'm crossing fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes....braiding my hair if that would work...Please please please!!!??? Thanks so much for taking a moment and pondering my questions.
Does the machine have a spoke handwheel or solid? If it's spoke, then yes, you can turn it into a handcrank. If it's solid, you still can, but you'll have to put a spoke wheel on it first. Either way you have to do it, if it was me, I'd have that motor off in a heartbeat! :lol: