Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-02-2011, 04:33 AM

I'm blundering around but this group is SOOOOO worth it.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom View Post
I am lost also. could not remember my password and was begining to think I had lost you guys. Whats all this Junior member --Senior Member--Super member and so on?
Lost too - and wondering if there is a thread where we can post questions/suggestions.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:53 AM

Smile

Glad I wrote down my usuer name and password or I would have been more lost than I am now.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Nancy; The Singer 306 also takes that weird 206X14 needle. MY neighbor has one that I covet but she's not selling and did say something about $500 when she did get serious. I like it but not that much. I don't know of any others (singers) that take the different needle but maybe others will answer.
Geeze, that is weird I can't for the life of me figure out why Singer would make a couple machines that take special needles!

I am not so sure about the new site - I hope I get updates!

Where are our profiles?

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 11-02-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:01 AM

Billy - I just got my great grandmother's 1892 treadle - the paint is off of the bed but I don't care it's from them (gg and g) sewing overalls and so many clothes. But is there something I should do to keep it from coming off on cotton fabric - I want to make a quilt this winter when it snows and nobody can get here. Also what do you use on the wood cabinets it has a top that lifts off. the wood is very dry? Thanks and hope you are getting better every day.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:12 AM

Well this new site is like trying to maneuver around in the dark, but so worth it once we all get through the learning curve!

I started cleaning out one of our 20x8 storage/cargo units. We have two we had to buy when we were building our place just to store our stuff - so yesterday I started in on one. Some of the stuff in there had been sitting for almost 10 years - since we originally packed it! Anyway, I am taking a bunch of stuff to Hospice, cleaning out one unit and it is going to become my little sewing machine museum! I am so excited! Now I will not have to justify buying more treadles - I have a real soft spot for treadles!

Nancy
Old 11-02-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Zannie View Post
Billy - I just got my great grandmother's 1892 treadle - the paint is off of the bed but I don't care it's from them (gg and g) sewing overalls and so many clothes. But is there something I should do to keep it from coming off on cotton fabric - I want to make a quilt this winter when it snows and nobody can get here. Also what do you use on the wood cabinets it has a top that lifts off. the wood is very dry? Thanks and hope you are getting better every day.
Zannie welcome aboard. The top you mention that lifts off is the veneer coming off. The only thing you can do is re-glue it or replace the veneer. Most of us have had to deal with peeling veneer. Glenn in this shop has a tutorial on re-finishing cabinets, but since this site got revamped yesterday I am not sure how to direct you around. There are also tutorials on how to clean the machines too. I use Blue Magic 12a TR-3 Resin Glaze to shine up the machines and get off the old gunk that builds up over years and years. The Blue Magic won't remove the paint but if you clean too hard to will remove the decals so be very careful around the decals!

Nancy
Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 AM

Does anyone know anything about "Elite Sewing Machine Corp"? I have one of these "Elite" sewing machines and I can't find a darn thing online about it. It was actually the first old sewing machine I ever picked up, many years ago. It was free at an antique sale, the foot pedal cord looks like it was knawed in half by a rodent so I never tested it to see if it sews. I always just used it for display, but now you have me pulling it apart seeing if it could be fixed. The metalwork is gorgeous, but the green and gold decals are U-G-L-Y (in my humble opinion).
Old 11-02-2011, 05:28 AM

Zannie, can you post a picture, so we can see what machine you have and what problems you might be dealing with? I was wondering if you are referring to a coffin top, or peeling veneer.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:33 AM

Ahh, CL shopping...not as much fun as window shopping, but still. I really need to do something else with my free time. There are too many machines out there!

Two Wheeler and Wilsons? Haven't even seen 1 before in this area.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/atq/2679617490.html
http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/atq/2661282026.html

And then there are the hand cranks. The Vesta is back, and there is a Frister and Rossmann now.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/2676730506.html
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/2678325670.html