Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 271 of 4418 FirstFirst ... 171 221 261 270 271 272 281 321 371 771 1271 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,710 of 44177

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #2701
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Posts
    184
    The "varnish like" finish on my Singer 15 is dull (non shiny) and seems to be breaking down and already missing in some areas. It appears much shinier on the metal where the "varnish like" finish is missing.
    I was wiping it with GoJo...but stopped because I am not sure if I should remove the "varnish like" finish or what. I am concerned that removing the finish wil remove the decals.
    Help......What should I do?

  2. #2702
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    The "varnish like" finish on my Singer 15 is dull (non shiny) and seems to be breaking down and already missing in some areas. It appears much shinier on the metal where the "varnish like" finish is missing.
    I was wiping it with GoJo...but stopped because I am not sure if I should remove the "varnish like" finish or what. I am concerned that removing the finish wil remove the decals.
    Help......What should I do?
    The Go Jo will not take the varnish off but you need to be carfull about rubbing to much over the naked decals. You do not want to silver them. I have a Model 15 that is in the same condition and the Go Jo really helped a lot! When I put the polish to her she is going to be shining like a new penny. But you will have to keep polishing on a regular basis and maintain the finish but you will be pleased with the results.

    Billy

  3. #2703
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    The "varnish like" finish on my Singer 15 is dull (non shiny) and seems to be breaking down and already missing in some areas. It appears much shinier on the metal where the "varnish like" finish is missing.
    I was wiping it with GoJo...but stopped because I am not sure if I should remove the "varnish like" finish or what. I am concerned that removing the finish wil remove the decals.
    Help......What should I do?
    The Go Jo will not take the varnish off but you need to be carfull about rubbing to much over the naked decals. You do not want to silver them. I have a Model 15 that is in the same condition and the Go Jo really helped a lot! When I put the polish to her she is going to be shining like a new penny. But you will have to keep polishing on a regular basis and maintain the finish but you will be pleased with the results.

    Billy
    Do I polish with the Scots liquid gold?

  4. #2704
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    The "varnish like" finish on my Singer 15 is dull (non shiny) and seems to be breaking down and already missing in some areas. It appears much shinier on the metal where the "varnish like" finish is missing.
    I was wiping it with GoJo...but stopped because I am not sure if I should remove the "varnish like" finish or what. I am concerned that removing the finish wil remove the decals.
    Help......What should I do?
    The Go Jo will not take the varnish off but you need to be carfull about rubbing to much over the naked decals. You do not want to silver them. I have a Model 15 that is in the same condition and the Go Jo really helped a lot! When I put the polish to her she is going to be shining like a new penny. But you will have to keep polishing on a regular basis and maintain the finish but you will be pleased with the results.

    Billy
    Do I polish with the Scots liquid gold?
    Yes you do. It is the only product that I know that will hide the majority of the crazing of the varnish.

  5. #2705
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    The "varnish like" finish on my Singer 15 is dull (non shiny) and seems to be breaking down and already missing in some areas. It appears much shinier on the metal where the "varnish like" finish is missing.
    I was wiping it with GoJo...but stopped because I am not sure if I should remove the "varnish like" finish or what. I am concerned that removing the finish wil remove the decals.
    Help......What should I do?
    The Go Jo will not take the varnish off but you need to be carfull about rubbing to much over the naked decals. You do not want to silver them. I have a Model 15 that is in the same condition and the Go Jo really helped a lot! When I put the polish to her she is going to be shining like a new penny. But you will have to keep polishing on a regular basis and maintain the finish but you will be pleased with the results.

    Billy
    Do I polish with the Scots liquid gold?
    Yes you do. It is the only product that I know that will hide the majority of the crazing of the varnish.
    I will do that tomorrow.
    Thanks, Billy.

  6. #2706
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Katia
    This may have been posted already, but it now has an explanation for the price. Seems like we were wondering if it was a mistake or not, or this may even be a different machine.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

    I just thought it was interesting.
    That would still be too much money, even if it could communicate with Eleanor from The Great Beyond.

    Miz Johnny

  7. #2707
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by no1jan
    I saw this on Craigslist and don't even know if it is still available. Does this look like a vintage cabinet to you. It almost looks like a converted new cabinet.
    http://albany.craigslist.org/fuo/1771548725.html
    It's a Singer cabinet from the 70's-80's. I used to have one like it.

    Miz J

  8. #2708
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcene
    Well, to make a short story long.....I went to an auction today looking for attachments...instead I bought 5 (yes, that is five) machines as a group for $15.00 (yes, that is fifteen).....poor babies are in pretty bad shape....some may recover, some I'm not so sure of.....see for yourself.....
    Pic #2 is a 8W--awesome machine!!

  9. #2709
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Katia
    I'm just watching it too. There is a reserve, but I have no idea what it is. The workmanship is amazing. Can you imagine, a glass presser foot! I think it is a work of art.
    I love the glass presser foot--it gives a great 1/4" SA and it's easy to see your stitches as you sew!!

  10. #2710
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pratt, KS
    Posts
    315
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

    Pic #2 is a 8W--awesome machine!!
    So that would make it a Brunswick 8W--would you educate me about the brand and the machine itself?

    Curious in KS,
    Darcene

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.