Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-25-2011, 12:23 PM

Help please! I'm having a problem with my 403A. When I run it, it smokes from the cam stack area and seems a little sluggish. The smoke smells a little. Do I need to take it apart and clean it? If so, how do I do that?
Old 11-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LINDA CATLEGE View Post
I have a vintage(?) Universal Brand KAB-M SN 401762 1960"s, a l shaped hinged plate. Have broken and now lost the straight stitch plate attachment.

l___

Do you have a picture? Is that a Japanese 15 clone?
Old 11-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I really don't think oil is going to help you if you dropped it. It will need some work to get it back to good order I imagine...
I'm thinking that too but sometimes oil works... Your's is something someone who knows those machines will have to look at no doubt. I always try for the easy fix... I have one with a bent stitch selector shaft - bums me out I have tried and tried to fix it. I've taken it apart and put it back but it just won't work. I could not see the bend until I took it all apart. I knew it was there though. I'm thinking one more try..... Maybe I need to hold my mouth just right.I wonder if you can find a picture of the inside of a 401 and then look and see if anything looks out of place. Look at the needle shaft and the pressure foot shaft too.

Last edited by miriam; 11-25-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by beaniekins View Post
Help please! I'm having a problem with my 403A. When I run it, it smokes from the cam stack area and seems a little sluggish. The smoke smells a little. Do I need to take it apart and clean it? If so, how do I do that?
You must have oil down in there or in the motor. Run it like crazy. Stop. Run it like crazy - see if it will burn off after a while. I just did that with a Singer 66. Wipe off any excess oil you see. If the oil is set up like rubber cement let me know. I really love my 403 - it is my favorite machine.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
SOMEBODY HELP ME! I'm trying to get instruction manual for a Davis Honeymoon machine S/N 2929792. I see several different pix of Honeymoons on ISMACS but none exactly like mine. I saw a pix of one that sold in 2008 that looks like mine except mine is a coffin top, 5 drawers, elaborate carving on drawers and top. I have searched this site but nothing comes up except I see where GrannieAnnie has one. I need to know specifically how to thread the tension which is on top of the machine and how the thread goes thru the needle from rt to left, etc.
Hi---
Davis was one of the makers that made the Honeymoon. Here is a New Home manual which you should find close :
http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...0873/index.htm
This is a vibrating shuttle model so the flat or short groove will face the right, towards the shuttle. If your lucky it will take a 15 x 1 or an old needle is with the machine. Good Luck
Jon
Old 11-25-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I'm thinking that too but sometimes oil works... Your's is something someone who knows those machines will have to look at no doubt. I always try for the easy fix... I have one with a bent stitch selector shaft - bums me out I have tried and tried to fix it. I've taken it apart and put it back but it just won't work. I could not see the bend until I took it all apart. I knew it was there though. I'm thinking one more try..... Maybe I need to hold my mouth just right.I wonder if you can find a picture of the inside of a 401 and then look and see if anything looks out of place. Look at the needle shaft and the pressure foot shaft too.
Hi Miriam,
This is one of the most annoying kind of problems. I've found the best way to solve it is with another working machine next to you if possible. This way you can swap out parts to check and arn't second guessing or ordering parts 2 or 3 times. If you need any pictures let me know, I've got one laying around here...........somewhere
Jon
Old 11-25-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I imagine it has to do with the treadling somehow then and maybe the movement to get it to sew would need some practice? You're certain that what you have in it is the 206 x 13 needle? Glen will have to chime in with his thoughts on it. I'm sure between all the brain surgeons here, we'll give you some things to try:> Happy Turkey Day.
Nancy I am in aggrement you will need the 206X13 needle also I had to take a spare needle clamp screw and put in the bight knob. To screw it down tight. Also I set the bight on #1 and got mine to sew nice. Try this and see what you get.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:31 PM

Thanks Jon, I printed off New Home Instructions. Now I've got to find my magnifying glass to read it. It does take same size needle as the ones for my regular machines. Now if I could just figure out how to put the belt on. Anyone out there know where I could get picture instructions?
Old 11-25-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by olebat View Post
Can anyone shead information on a Wilkes treadle? A friend has gotten one, and we can't find any information.
Don't see anything for "Wilkes" but there is a "Wilks" listed in Ismacs needle list as made by Mason which was an agent for White. A picture would be a help in ID
Jon
Old 11-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Hi Miriam,
This is one of the most annoying kind of problems. I've found the best way to solve it is with another working machine next to you if possible. This way you can swap out parts to check and arn't second guessing or ordering parts 2 or 3 times. If you need any pictures let me know, I've got one laying around here...........somewhere
Jon
exactly what I do!