Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-01-2011, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x View Post
Loved my Honda Accords, we had two of them.

Vintage Motif, I worked for a pediatrician years ago. He said that for a rule of thumb, if you see what a child's height was at age two, you double that and it should be what their height is as an adult. I am curious what your daughter's height was at age two to see if it comes true for you. Of course, it's not scientific, but he said that it is usually the case.
At a year old, she was 32 inches. I don't have the records for her at two years of age. She did grow from a year to two years; so, I know she was taller than 32 inches at age two. Double 32" = 64" which is 5ft 3 ins.
My one grandmother was very short, just under 5 ft. Daughter may have inherited that short gene, and I'm not very tall compared to the rest of my family.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]292055[/ATTACH] Ok here she is! Charlee, this must just be a chain stitcher? No bobbin? Can you send me a copy of the threading diagram? What size needle does it take? I didn't get a manual as you know!

Isn't it cute!!!!

Nancy
Nancy, I have a Sew Handy that my sister used as a kid. I just need to get a needle for it. Here is a photo of it:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]292072[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2011-12-01-12.41.44-am.png  
Old 12-01-2011, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post

I have been busy sewing. I am using my 319w now a lot. I made a small wall hanging for my daughter; and, now I am making my daughter and daughter-in-law new Christmas placemats. We are tired of the old ones I made a few years ago! I am in love with the 319w! But man, I have a healthy appreciation for the ladies that treadled all day long - my legs ache! I thought I was in pretty good shape too! My DH thinks it is funny!

Nancy
I have noticed that when I treadle with my Singer 328 I get a good workout; it's not the easiest machine to treadle.
Now, my Davis NVF, Two Spools, and Singer 201 will treadle without much effort on my part. I can treadle with them all day long with not much of a workout.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:27 AM
Power Poster

Mr Arbuckle (he's the 90 y o repair man in Noblesville) recommends putting a big fly wheel on any that you are going to treadle. He says they will move better. I'm wondering if that isn't why your 319s and your 328s give you such a work out. The 401g is very hard to treadle. He says he can do something to it to get a bigger fly wheel on it. He won't say how it would be done. I've been wondering what he would charge - he is a bit pricy - yet I'm thinking it might be worth it.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 AM
Power Poster

I wish somebody would start a photo gallery of old toy sewing machines.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
At a year old, she was 32 inches. I don't have the records for her at two years of age. She did grow from a year to two years; so, I know she was taller than 32 inches at age two. Double 32" = 64" which is 5ft 3 ins.
My one grandmother was very short, just under 5 ft. Daughter may have inherited that short gene, and I'm not very tall compared to the rest of my family.
Hmm, so the rule of thumb didn't apply to your daughter. I agree that she may have inherited the height genes of her grandmother.

The chain stitch machines are interesting. Are they the first kind of serger? Would you use them for the same thing as you would use a serger?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 AM

Nancy, I have a Sew Handy that my sister used as a kid. I just need to get a needle for it. Here is a photo of it:
Geeze, Monica I love it - you have a 'sort of' Godzilla finish on your Sew Handy! I have been researching these little jewels all morning. I found out that they were made between 1910 and 1950's - then resurrected in the late 1970's for a short time. The 1970's models were bigger with the moving parts inclosed, which means my machine is from somewhere between 1926 (when the threading numbers were stamped on the machine) to the 1950's! They sure are cute little things! They were made at the Elizabeth factory in New Jersey and sold as a toy for young people to learn to sew with - in the beginning! Later on, they were sold as adult light portable machines as well as for toys.

These machine are so tiny! I am going to order some needles. I can't stand it when I don't have needles for my machines! I am lucky, though, there is one needle in the machine! Maybe, I will find the original clamp too!

I love it when I get a new vintage!

Oh and THANK you again Charlee for sending me a copy of the manual!

Nancy

Actually, Moncia do you know the age of your machine? It could be one of the 1970s due to the color, which would make it more desirable as a collectable because there are fewer of those machines around?

Last edited by BoJangles; 12-01-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 AM

Barbara... My starlet..... Plastic...but oh so cute!!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:50 AM

Really cute! I bought needles for mine on eBay. Does anyone know another place that sells them?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I wish somebody would start a photo gallery of old toy sewing machines.
I second that one.. great idea for identification on this site. And it would be a lot of fun...