Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-02-2011, 06:07 PM

Vintage Motif, I love that quilt. Very pretty. Is that a darning foot for a vintage machine? Do they all look that way? That's a pretty neat foot.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:34 PM

Default Vintage Sewing Machine in Crystal Springs, MS for Sale

The vintage sewing machine for sale in Crystal Springs, MS, with the glass case, is for sale at $400.
You can call Cliff at 601-506-7681 to ask about this sewing machine.

The machine is see at this link:

http://www.crystalspringsmiss.com/pa...large/7785.jpg
Old 12-02-2011, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200 View Post
Vintage Motif, I love that quilt. Very pretty. Is that a darning foot for a vintage machine? Do they all look that way? That's a pretty neat foot.
No, it is not a darning foot for vintage machines. This is the foot that comes with the Davis Vertical Feed machines. This is a walking foot, but designed to work with the Davis VF, or in this case Davis New Vertical Feed.

Here is a video of a Davis NVF machine (one like mine) in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxpWrP5Wrc

Notice that the machine doesn't have feed dogs and that the foot moves the fabric.
These machines are awesome to quilt with and attach bindings. And the machine handles quilting flannel without any problems.

I own two of these machines. The difference in the two machines is the tension area. They take standard needles.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]292700[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]292701[/ATTACH]

And a close up of the foot.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]292702[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2011-12-02-11.40.36-pm.png   screen-shot-2011-12-02-11.42.25-pm.png   screen-shot-2011-12-02-11.50.14-pm.png  
Old 12-03-2011, 02:49 AM

I want a DVF baaaaaad!
I watched the video; the needle moves the fabric not the foot.
I am going to work on a new way to put on bindings with a binding folder. As any one tried it?
Old 12-03-2011, 03:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
I want a DVF baaaaaad!
I watched the video; the needle moves the fabric not the foot.
I am going to work on a new way to put on bindings with a binding folder. As any one tried it?
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/2728934657.html I've been watching to see if this will go down.... I wish...
Old 12-03-2011, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

I made a new post http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post4746097
It's just some video/info on tensions.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
No, it is not a darning foot for vintage machines. This is the foot that comes with the Davis Vertical Feed machines. This is a walking foot, but designed to work with the Davis VF, or in this case Davis New Vertical Feed.

Notice that the machine doesn't have feed dogs and that the foot moves the fabric.
These machines are awesome to quilt with and attach bindings. And the machine handles quilting flannel without any problems.

I own two of these machines. The difference in the two machines is the tension area. They take standard needles.

Those are beautiful machines. I want one for my collection, but I'm still looking.

Texas Jan
Old 12-03-2011, 06:18 AM

Here is a video of a Davis NVF machine (one like mine) in action.

Monica, you are lucky to own two Davis VF machines, is the one a HC? I can't see the crank from the photo? I too love my DVF, but mine is the older model - 1886 - and it doesn't take regular needles! The older DVF machines use the Davis Longs or Boye 10 needles, which are pricey but available on E-Bay!

Nancy
Old 12-03-2011, 06:23 AM

Once my latest project is finished, I'll be making some Christmas ornaments that are filled with lavender that I grew and harvested this year. This is what I'm working on, but I keep getting distracted with other ideas for Christmas gifts. The thinner strip on right is what I have done today. Tonight will be the strip that goes on the left. All quilting is done on my Davis NVF.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]292674[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]292675[/ATTACH]
Monica, I love the quilt! The stitches look perfect, is that your Davis Vertical Feed's stitches? If so, you have that machine adjusted perfect!

Nancy
Old 12-03-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200 View Post
DING DING DING!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

I am so excited. This is why I love this board. The problem is not with my thread, which makes me happy since it was my first big spool purchase. I changed the needle AGAIN. I had the last one in correctly, but apparently it had a burr thingy in it. Needles were pretty expensive, so I hate losing one right off the bat, but I'm glad the problem is gone. I even did some stitching on the actual quilt and have had great success! WooHoo! I am back in business!
Yippeeeeeee! Isn't it a good feeling when things get sorted out? I felt the same way when I finally figured out why my 319w was skipping stitches!

Nancy