Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 AM

Is the bobbin from a Featherweight interchangeable with a Singer 66 and if not is SewClassic the place to buy?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by bdschafer View Post
I know this is not a vintage machine, but I'm hoping that you folks will know your machines!! I'm looking for a machine that will do free motion quilting. A friend is happy with her Brother PQ1500. It only does straight sewing and that is ok with me, as I have another machine (Singer 500) that does other things, but it does not like to do free motion!!! My question is- is this a good machine or is there another that would be better??? I found the Brother on e-bay for $600. I sure would like any suggestions that you folks might have.
Thanks.
I posted just after you that I'm not thrilled with my 401 for FMQ...and your 500 is basically the same machine. Machines that have drop in bobbins, just aren't as good with FMQ. Now, since you've already got a vintage machine and it's in your blood, do you have to have a "new" machine? There are some GREAT vintage machines that do awesome FMQ that can be had in the $20-$150 range.... Just one example is the highly coveted Singer 301. I wouldn't buy a new machine on ebay, period. I'd go to my local dealer where I could get support, classes and have any warranty issues dealt with professionally. To me this is worth a few extra bucks. Also, your local dealer will have trade ins for sale and can usually extend a store warranty on used machines. You won't get ANY warranty on a used machine bought over ebay. Just some things to think of.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Charlee, I think I have her twin sister. Mine needs a bobbin cover and a good cleaning. I used her for a good while then got fed up with retaping the plastic lid I had substituted for her bobbin cover and also think now that maybe the plastic bobbins I had been using were the wrong ones as I was having bird's nest issues. One of these days I'll find time to work on her. Where would I look to find a bobbin cover for her?
mom-6, I found this on ebay.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slide-Plate-...ht_2914wt_1058
Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 AM

WOOHOO!! We have "lift-off"!!!! I evidently forgot that the light switch for that outlet needs to be "on" before that outlet will work!

Motor sounds great, we still have some cleaning issues that will need to be addressed...she doesn't need the full "tear apart" spa treatment, but still needs some internal cleaning thanks to 3-in-1 oil. The only cam with her was the arrowhead cam, but stitches that nicely, with the exception that we need some tension adjustments. (Have I ever mentioned that I HATE tension issues?)

Now she gets put away until after the holiday rush....I still have cookies to bake, and a house to get ready for a party on Saturday....and I'd rather be playing with the machine!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Thanks Miriam! I'm sure I'm going to be picking your brain lots!! This one doesn't SEEM as simple as the other girls in the herd...
There's one cam in place....I haven't yet figured out how to get it out, and haven't yet found a manual for a 403, altho the page you sent me to says the 503 manual is nearly identical.
Also...will ANY of the top hat cams work with this machine? Didn't the 403 just come with 5 cams?
I've got a set of the cams only for the 403...went to ebay looking for a price to offer you and saw this price for it all! Unless it goes way up later...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sing...#ht_500wt_1412....
Old 12-12-2011, 11:18 AM

Thanks Miriam! I'm sure I'm going to be picking your brain lots!! This one doesn't SEEM as simple as the other girls in the herd...
There's one cam in place....I haven't yet figured out how to get it out, and haven't yet found a manual for a 403, altho the page you sent me to says the 503 manual is nearly identical.

---Oh man, I'm going to have competition now. I pick Miriam's brain all the time!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:15 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
Is the bobbin from a Featherweight interchangeable with a Singer 66 and if not is SewClassic the place to buy?
No, the bobbins are quite different. Yes to SewClassic for buying parts.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

Charlee, that disk on the 403 pulls straight out. I always set my lever clear to the left and the up and down one at the center.... Be sure you find a zig zag disk - it makes a nice satin stitch. Nope it isn't as simple as the others you have but for a zig zag it is fairly simple. The 503 manual will work just fine - the only real difference is that the 503 has a cooler body for what it is worth. My brain sometimes feels picked.... Now I know why... It's ok I wasn't doing anything with it anyway.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Charlee, that disk on the 403 pulls straight out. I always set my lever clear to the left and the up and down one at the center.... Be sure you find a zig zag disk - it makes a nice satin stitch. Nope it isn't as simple as the others you have but for a zig zag it is fairly simple. The 503 manual will work just fine - the only real difference is that the 503 has a cooler body for what it is worth. My brain sometimes feels picked.... Now I know why... It's ok I wasn't doing anything with it anyway.
The spousal unit got it out and showed me how it works... I was so jazzed when I fired her up and she worked! Now I just gotta find all the goodies to go with her, and fix her cabinet!!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
The spousal unit got it out and showed me how it works... I was so jazzed when I fired her up and she worked! Now I just gotta find all the goodies to go with her, and fix her cabinet!!
Get bobbins from Jenny at Sew-classic - the ones from WM and Joann's are only fit to make into earrings once they break. You need (want ) a full set of disks. What feet do you already have on it? Did you know you can put two needles in it at one time. Just put two in there - it is so amazing. You can't set the width too wide but it is really cool in two colors!