Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2904 of 4369 FirstFirst ... 1904 2404 2804 2854 2894 2903 2904 2905 2914 2954 3004 3404 3904 ... LastLast
Results 29,031 to 29,040 of 43682

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Shhhhhhhh don't tell Twanda I said that. I live next door and she's a neat freak.
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    I bet Miriam would say I could fit it in a Geo Metro hatchback. Does anyone know where I can find directions on how to take it apart?
    Please post your pet's - past and present -pictures at http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ds-t32280.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    YIKES Jan!!! What a challenge you have taken on!!!
    Another day of PB Blaster, poking in the overhead shaft (where it says Singer) with a keyhole saw to break up the bug nests that were like concrete and some careful "persuasion" with a pipe wrench, the 127 is now unstuck and turning. I kept adding clean oil and finally got it to where I could put the wheel back on and turn it nicely. Now it is soaking in the kerosene until Thursday when hopefully the weather will be warm enough that I can clean it and take it out. There was so much filth and grit, just nasty. I got so tired of bug remains falling out, but at least they were all dead. We will see what I can do with it. I will need a shuttle and bobbin before it can be sewn with.

Texas Jan
    (to be continued)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    I got so tired of bug remains falling out, but at least they were all dead.
    Texas Jan
    (to be continued)
    Didn't think about that!!! (SHUDDER)
    Please post your pet's - past and present -pictures at http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ds-t32280.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
    I bet Miriam would say I could fit it in a Geo Metro hatchback. Does anyone know where I can find directions on how to take it apart?
    SIL has one of those - yup you can get a treadle in there - take out the back seat first... Does it fold down? I got two in my Honda this afternoon. I found a redeye and a clone.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Celeste, a treadle will fit in the back seat of most vehicles. Take the machine out of it to reduce the weight, and then you can easily turn it on it's side or back and slide it in. They really aren't that tall closed up. Take a blanket to wrap around it, and a couple of things to be sure it doesn't flop around (large pillows work great!). You can do it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    My neighbor just gave me this machine. It's a White 77. It belonged to his aunt and he's had it in his house taking up space for a loooong time and wanted it to have a good home. It's in a neat desk with lots of unusual compartments, with all original attachments and manual. The cert. with it says it was sold in 1951. It's in excellent condition from what I can see in my fairly dark garage. When it warms up I'll play with it. The manual says it takes White Rotary needles. Are these special needles? Anyone have this machine?
    Ooh, nice! I think I'm going to start collecting behemoths in crinkle finish-I just like the looks of them. Candace, I saw one similar to yours in a dark blue crinkle, and my old Kenmore of the same approximate era (and made by White) is brown crinkle. Wonder what other colors crinkle came in, besides these and black? (What is crinkle finish, anyway? And what was the point of it?)
    -Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
    Ooh, nice! I think I'm going to start collecting behemoths in crinkle finish-I just like the looks of them. Candace, I saw one similar to yours in a dark blue crinkle, and my old Kenmore of the same approximate era (and made by White) is brown crinkle. Wonder what other colors crinkle came in, besides these and black? (What is crinkle finish, anyway? And what was the point of it?)
    I have a Domestic 153 made out of aluminum and it is brown with crinkle - weighs about 12 or 13 lbs. Looks like Candice's White. Her's is heavy.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
    Honestly, I would much prefer the blue crinkle to the dark grey or brown. I think these are some of the ugliest machines. Possibly, the ugliest in the world. Maybe the universe:>

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Honestly, I would much prefer the blue crinkle to the dark grey or brown. I think these are some of the ugliest machines. Possibly, the ugliest in the world. Maybe the universe:>
    maybe when they were new they looked ok? I have to agree though. Not my favorite look.