Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-27-2011, 06:05 AM

Miriam, I look at the presser foot...enlarge the photo if I have to. The decals can be helpful too. Join the Yahoo group for DVF and there are tons of photos there...along with info on how to dismantle the machine to clean it...pretty interesting stuff!
Sometimes the cabinet will tell you...the foot pedal will say "Vertical Feed".
Old 12-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Miriam, I look at the presser foot...enlarge the photo if I have to. The decals can be helpful too. Join the Yahoo group for DVF and there are tons of photos there...along with info on how to dismantle the machine to clean it...pretty interesting stuff!
Sometimes the cabinet will tell you...the foot pedal will say "Vertical Feed".
I've see a few Davis machines out there - prices are all over the map though
Old 12-27-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Thanks, Charlee. I'm sure things will quiet down when we get her house sold and all the stuff passed out to the family or sold. She's fine with all this, but my sister is having a hard time with it all...tears and really emotional moments when going through stuff. That's not me...I'm not sentimental about "stuff"!! And Mom isn't really either. Anyway, we'll get through it, and she and my DH get along well, so that makes everything really easier!!

I'm putting up pics of the treadle my DH refinished the cabinet, showing all the steps he did. I'll put them under Treadle Cabinet Refinishing Project. It came out so great. He put the 15 back in it that came with it, but I want my 66-1 in it, so some time in the next couple of weeks I'll have him trade them out. I'm putting them up now. Be back later!! :-)
Janice, I went to Glenn's refinishing instructions and I can't find your pictures? Can you post the link? Can you also post a picture here of the finished cabinet?

I am so glad your Mother has you!

Nancy
Old 12-27-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I've see a few Davis machines out there - prices are all over the map though
Yeah, they are...mine was listed for $100, I offered $50, they took it...

How are those babies? I'm so jealous...TWO new babies within cuddle distance!!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:24 AM

Nancy, Janice's cabinet photos are here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t173279.html

Beautiful job!!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Yeah, they are...mine was listed for $100, I offered $50, they took it...

How are those babies? I'm so jealous...TWO new babies within cuddle distance!!
I was thinking my budget might handle $50 but I saw one for $350...
Have you noticed that nation wide the stuff left on CL right now is real pricy???
I sold a lot of machines this year - I sure hope they all have good homes - they all worked when they left my house.

The boys are so adorable. I have 4 grandsons two and under! This is going to be ssssssoooooooo much fun. I sewed a little RR hat out of an old shirt piece left from Wilbur's quilt for Abram. DS has had a good time with hats all his life so he put in a request for hats - I think that baby had a good dozen hats already. I hope he goes home today.

DD didn't want any hats for her baby. She was afraid of what Wilbur might do... He loves Walter to death but he still has not learned how to be gentle. He is doing better but not 100% yet.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
The search is over - though I didn't do the searching. Last Summer there was a Redeye on Craigslist in NJ. My son was working there, so I asked him to look into it. Neither of us could get a response from the seller, but that alerted Dan to the fact I wanted one. When he saw one in a barbeque shop in NJ, he knew why. He hunted NJ, DE, NY, PA, OH, etc. He found an'immaculate' one whose machine looked rough and the cabinet was in five pieces. He found $350 ones, but knew there was a $50 one out there because that was the price of the NJ one. Finally found one he thought was reasonable in Muskegon, MI. After dinner Christmas Eve, he and wife disappeared and carried in my present. Here she is - a 1918 Singer 66 with Redeye decals. The cabinet needs some work and the machine is very dirty, but he knew I'd be happy cleaning her up.
Irishrose, congratulations! What a great son and DIL!

Nancy
Old 12-27-2011, 06:40 AM

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Santa was good to me, and brought me exactly what I was wanting... Meet Buzz!!
Charlee congratulations! What a beautiful 500a Rocketeer! You are lucky because the 500a's can sew some decorative stitches without a cam. My 503a doesn't do any decorative stitches - 'Rocky' has to have a cam to do decorative anything, but I really love that machine!

The cam, no cam controversy has been around a long time. Your machine definitely does not need all the cams. You can sew quite a few stitches without a cam. My machine has to have cams for decorative anything. What I have been told by some very knowledgeable people on here is that it is not 'good' for the machine to sew without a cam in the machine - with my machine the 503a, anyway.

Enjoy that Rocketeer! I use mine all the time for the little wall hangings I do!

Nancy
Old 12-27-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
Here is what that bearded rascel dropped off at our house. It's a Dec. 12, 1952.
Trish, I am so excited you got your Featherweight! She is beautiful!

Nancy
Old 12-27-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Buzz is a great name. And a FW is an awesome gift. Here's my two.... A krinkle finish with black chrome accents from my mother. A 128-23 and my first shuttle bobbin. It took me some time to figure it out and get it stitching. Fun and the lockstitch it make sounds very cool.

And my 4th 301, from hubby. O.k. no more 301's :> But, I love it too:> This was taken before my cleaning and oiling. It's in really good condition.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Candace, the 128 is in really nice shape!

Don't you have all the colors now of the 301s? Are they all the short bed, or are some of your 301's the long bed? The machine model I have the most of is the FW, but I don't have a tan one - only the white (light green) and the black ones. When you go for a particular model it is so nice to get all the colors in that model! I'm doing the happy dance for you! Now, you need to get all the colors in both the short bed and long bed! Wouldn't that be fun?

Nancy