Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-26-2012, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Thanks for that info, Sharon. I was wondering if they are all truly interchangeable...I have a 15 in a straight leg treadle that I want to put my 1909 66-1 in, and I thought it would fit fine, but wasn't sure. So, I won't have to find another cabinet and irons to use it. That's great news.
My Singer 237 & 15-90 share the 1895 coffin top treadle cabinet and it works just fine; both have their own treadle belt since the belt that fits the 237 is too long for the 15-90. As long as the machine bed and the hinges line up with the cabinet properly it will work, both your 15 and 66-1 are full size Singers.
Sharon W.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Saw this one while "window shopping" today on CL. I really don't know what it is, but it looked interesting! Looks like it would take a wide belt, probably pre-1900?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/2819848538.html
Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Saw this one while "window shopping" today on CL. I really don't know what it is, but it looked interesting! Looks like it would take a wide belt, probably pre-1900?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/2819848538.html
I really wish the pictures were clearer. I think it maybe a Wheeler & Wilson #8.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I really wish the pictures were clearer. I think it maybe a Wheeler & Wilson #8.
I agree that it's a W&W 8...it takes a normal sized belt (I have a bootlace on mine! LOL) These machines are circa 1876 to 1880...
Old 01-26-2012, 08:49 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to the vintage sewing world. I bought a Singer 15-91 last summer and have finally gotten brave enough to get her cleaned up and refurbished. (Her name is Beth!) I've been using Billy's tutorials as a starting place, but wasn't sure if I should remove some of the shuttle and the feed dogs. Any advice or pictures about working in this area?

Thank you!
Carrie Ivey
Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 PM

Hi Carrie! Welcome to the wonderful world of vintage machines!

Some questions for you. Does Beth sew as she is now? If so, there's no reason to tear her down to clean!! You can use pipe cleaners, qtips, cotton balls, along with sewing machine oil and get the machine cleaned up and pretty! A full tear down really isn't necessary, nor is it always the best option.
My suggestion would be to go to You Tube and do a search for MuvandFarve and watch some of Muv's videos for cleaning these old girls...
Old 01-26-2012, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hollyann View Post
So I am cleaning this Raymond and under a very rusty yucky area I came across this pic of a beaver and what looks to be a signature.... Did all the Raymonds have signatures?

It's a shame she has so much rust. Also, does anyone know where I could get a back slide plate(rusted) and decals?
Holly, You may want to become a member of Treadleon if you haven't already. Someone there may just have all the information that you seek on Raymond machines. I don't think anyone here owns one, unless Ms. Johnny or Cathy do. I think there was once one person posting on the QB that had a Raymond, but I can't remember who that person is right now. Most likely there will be someone on Treadleon that can come to your rescue with a wealth of info and possible parts. I always just google for info, and then I get lost reading soo many websites. Have fun cleaning that machine up!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Hi Carrie! Welcome to the wonderful world of vintage machines!

Some questions for you. Does Beth sew as she is now? If so, there's no reason to tear her down to clean!! You can use pipe cleaners, qtips, cotton balls, along with sewing machine oil and get the machine cleaned up and pretty! A full tear down really isn't necessary, nor is it always the best option.
My suggestion would be to go to You Tube and do a search for MuvandFarve and watch some of Muv's videos for cleaning these old girls...
She will sew, but the wiring is not in good shape. I'd rather take care of all that right at the start so I know she's safe. My husband will be helping with that part. She's already stripped down most of the way, but I haven't touched the shuttle yet.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 PM

If she's sewing Carrie, I'd leave it alone. But that's me. I'm not quite following why you'd tear the entire machine down for the wiring issues, but hey! You'll have a clean machine with experience in tearing one apart and putting it back together.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
If she's sewing Carrie, I'd leave it alone. But that's me. I'm not quite following why you'd tear the entire machine down for the wiring issues, but hey! You'll have a clean machine with experience in tearing one apart and putting it back together.
That's the biggest reason - I want her to be really clean. She came from a smoking home and I just want all that build up gone. A friend of mine did it to hers and she sparkles and runs like a dream, so I'd like the same for Beth.

Thanks anyway!