Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-31-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Heehee, I'm sorry. So, do you have that Davis in cabinet and working? IF not, make that top of your list.
It is top of my list now...now that I have gotten past the Quilt show. I have to find the wood I want for the top, and I already have some irons for it..Decorah Posten...so this will be a true Frankenstein setup, but as long as I get to sew on her, I don't care of the cabinet is bright purple and the irons bright green! :-)
Old 01-31-2012, 10:59 AM

It's not a Singer. The poster states it is a Montgomery Wards. Looks to be a National, possibly. I'm sure, Ms. Johnny or Cathy can tell us right off.
It reminds me of a Vindex...talking out loud here.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Haha!! Yes, yes I survived. The show was a great success...we had nearly 1500 people through the door, with 24 vendors, 196 quilts hung, a Bed Turning with mostly antique quilts, a demonstrations area, and of course my favorite, the antique & vintage sewing machines exhibit. That turned out to be a big hit!! I had two ladies come and offer me machines for free..I have to call them this week. They didn't know what the machines are...it's gonna be a great surprise!! Also got a 1940's cabinet with a 60's Singer in it...I'm taking the machine out and putting one of my old ladies in it. It's the cabinet with the curved drawers on the right side, and also came with the matching stool!! I got it for $60 (money goes to our guild, so I didn't haggle!), and my DH is excited about refinishing the cabinet. It was so fun, but Monday a.m. I woke up with aching muscles and very tired...I rested most of the day, and returned to work today. I'll post pics in a separate thread some time this week.
NICE!!! Mystery machines, a treasure and reward well due; that sounds like fun! And one of those lovely N0.42 cabinets with the ink well and pencil tray. Now you have to hunt for a 201, although if you have a 301 or a 15, those will look pretty in it too.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:09 AM

I was wondering what that little glass bottle was for!! An inkwell....I never would have guessed! It's in great shape, although it needs some refinishing. I do have a 15 to put in it, but if my 301 will go in it, that may be what I want to use it for...I'll have to see. I piece on my 301 all the time, so it usually is on the table in my sewing room.

I can't wait to see what those ladies have...I know at least one is a treadle, because she called it a "pedal pusher". Ha!!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Another mystery machine http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/2825848526.html
Old 01-31-2012, 02:51 PM

Heehee, I'm sorry. So, do you have that Davis in cabinet and working? IF not, make that top of your list.
I have a Davis VF and love it, so my "want" list before I even go is a 301!! Beyond that, a couple more Featherweights would be great! I think I'll keep the "list" open!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:07 PM

Monica,
I liked BrianSew's video, it was well done.
I don't know that I would use anything but sewing machine oil in my machines. I've cleaned up a few machines that were oiled with 3-in-1 oil(the can was in the machine's box).
Sharon W. in central TX
Old 01-31-2012, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Monica,
I don't know that I would use anything but sewing machine oil in my machines. I've cleaned up a few machines that were oiled with 3-in-1 oil(the can was in the machine's box).
Sharon W. in central TX
I'd say the jury is still out on that oil. (Glen??? What is your take on that oil. I know you use clock oil.)
I do know that oiling info is very good. What he shows is exactly what to do. If a machine is stuck I go over those oil points - if that doesn't work use heat then try some Triflow or just try the Triflow... I've had to use strong cleaner on a couple stuck up with 3-in-1 oil and I'm not going to go into that here. Some oil can be a real pain when it gets dry.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Well, I bought the mystery machine. It is a New Home with zigzag - I got it mostly cleaned up. The feet have a bit of rot so I oiled them real good and hope it keeps them from rotting some more. It seems to be ok otherwise. I forgot how the kids showed me to do the picture shrink thing...
Old 01-31-2012, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Monica,
Sharon W. in central TX
I like his video also, and found it interesting what he said about the Marvel Mystery Oil history. I'm going to have to research more on the oil, but I do know I don't wish to use another project like the 3-in-1 oil. I may have to ask on the vintage sewing machine yahoo group or Treadleon to see if anyone else has used this oil in replace of Singer sewing oil.