Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3096 of 4403 FirstFirst ... 2096 2596 2996 3046 3086 3095 3096 3097 3106 3146 3196 3596 4096 ... LastLast
Results 30,951 to 30,960 of 44029

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    The author does state to use a wax once a year. So I would like to know which wax.
    I'm using Johnson's Paste Wax, it tends to come out of the can a little "hard/brittle" so I put some in a bowl and set it on a heating pad until it softens up enough to go on easily in a thin layer.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I'm using Johnson's Paste Wax, it tends to come out of the can a little "hard/brittle" so I put some in a bowl and set it on a heating pad until it softens up enough to go on easily in a thin layer.
    Glenn has recommened Briwax to me when I was redoing my Singer 12.

Texas Jan

Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    Regarding using something else for belts. I'm like faaaarrrrrrr away from anyone that sells belts. I ordered two leather ones and could not for the life of me get one stapled together. In trying to make a hole - the belt kept slipping and hole went in crooked and resulted in the belt splitting. Soooo I read here on the board that someone used the leg of a panty hose and I tried it. Works like a charm and cost was zero. And was much easier to put on - just stretch it as far as it would go and tie a knot.

Also I have a question. Can someone tell me the model number of a Singer electric machine - serial #AH300426. I think it was manufactured in 1947. It belongs to a friend and she needs a power cord that goes from machine to plug in. I've never seen the machine - just going by her description.
    I cheat when I make the hole in my treadle belts. I have a small rotary burr that I put in my Dremel tool. Crank it up to about 9,00,000,000,000 RPM and it just zips right through the belt.
    I'm not sure what I'd do if it weren't for the Dremel. What did they do in the old days?

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    I cheat when I make the hole in my treadle belts. I have a small rotary burr that I put in my Dremel tool. Crank it up to about 9,00,000,000,000 RPM and it just zips right through the belt.
    I'm not sure what I'd do if it weren't for the Dremel. What did they do in the old days?

Joe
    Name:  Screen shot 2012-02-17 at 11.56.12 AM.png
Views: 158
Size:  35.5 KB
    An awl or just a hammer and nail.

Eeeeekk! A sharp pointy thing. I'd probably hurt myself with that.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Eeeeekk! A sharp pointy thing. I'd probably hurt myself with that.

Joe
    Says the man who goes after a narrow piece of leather belting with a Dremel??
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Here's an article on on furniture oils:

http://www.worthpoint.com/blog-entry...eid=156b1afb28

Does this mean I have to quit using Howard's Feed n Wax?

Oh, I LOVE this article. Now to get some wax.

Blog Entries
    Nancy, You will appreciate this article that Leah Day wrote on needles and threads- and the dreaded metallic.
    http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...t-needles.html
    Monica, I did read the article and I have found that the Universal works best on all my "vintage" machines, I like the Sharp on the new machines, and I did put a metallic needle in when using the metallic thread! I still screamed at the machine, cleaned the birds nest in the bobbin casing after cutting my little wall hanging lose every 1/2 inch or so, re-threaded everything, and screamed some more! Why are we such gluttens? I just kept at it for at least an hour or longer, cutting the knot so I good get my work off the machine, re-doing everything, crossing everything on my body that crosses, and getting more and more frustrated! I finally just gave up! I think my 401a just does not like metallic thread.

Candace how do you get the metallic to come off the spool horizontally? I have several of those thread guides that sit behind the machine, but nothing that would cause the thread to come off horizontally? Kathie, I may try again and try the topstitch needle, but right now I don't even want to go there!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post

Candace how do you get the metallic to come off the spool horizontally? I have several of those thread guides that sit behind the machine, but nothing that would cause the thread to come off horizontally?

Nancy

Here... http://wonderthreadguide.com/

Blog Entries
    Nancy, You will appreciate this article that Leah Day wrote on needles and threads- and the dreaded metallic.
    http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...t-needles.html
    That sounds like me!! My drawer has mostly universal 90/14 needles, which work fine in all my machines.