Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-19-2012, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
Hi all,
I know, I know, Charlee got you all to wondering what's new in my world but I already spilled the beans in the title.

We have a local 'rag' called Uncle Henry's (UH) that is similar to Craigslist where folks buy, trade and sell. My dh's brother called yesterday to say he saw a 'White' treadle for sale in New Hampshire. Not that I need another machine but something made me hop onto the UH's website - btw, if you're not a subscriber, you only get to view some of the posts. I spied this machine. HOLY HANNAH!! I don't know much yet about A & V machines but I knew this machine doesn't come a dime a dozen (please pardon the cliche). I tried getting hold of my not-so-local mentor for her opinion and advice but imagine, she probably has a life :-) So a quick drive by the ATM for cash and we're off. The seller's asking price was $85. He was thrilled to hear I would be using her and not reselling it. The price agreed upon by the men left enough to pay our entrance into the dance last night - can you imagine?! I would have paid the $85 and split town so fast before the seller had a chance or wanted to renig.

She's a darling little thing and I can't wait to try her out. Dh found a length of belt (so I can skip the too-skinny pantyhose idea) so the only thing left to do is to get her slide plates opened and change the bobbin winder ring. We have her setting with some lub along the plate edges. If you have any suggestions, please, let me know. We have tried a dowel and rubber mallet and tapping in the finger groove but she's fairly locked in. The shuttle is in place. With the exception of the marring on the front slide plate she looks pretty darn good. Her table will need some work come spring time. The seller says there was a 'box of attachments and stuff' that is in the attic. He promised to try and locate it and call me with seven days. What a guy!

Enjoy!

And a huge 'Thank you and a hug' to my west coast friend, who wrote back 'OMG!! GO GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!

best,
d
OMG!~ Whigrose, she is beautiful! Geeze, you are one lucky person! What a find! I am drooling!

Nancy
Old 02-19-2012, 08:19 PM

Wow, y'all have been busy.
Some notes,
Nancy, have you tried a different brand metallic thread. When I have done decorative stitches with my Elna on Christmas tree skirts, one brand of metallic thread would be terrible and the next work amazingly well. It wasn't the machine.

Cathy, my FMQ foot on my 301 works great. I am on at least seven big lap quilts and as many table runners and never any problems. I can't overfill the bobbin or the thread slides out of the slot, but that's nothing to do with the foot. Mine came from april1930sshoppe. Now it looks like sew-classic carries it, too, but it' s the one in the $20 range, not the the other one at sew-classic.

Caroline, I like the green decals on your 15 clone. My Mongomery Wards has shamrocks which made me happy.

Problem - I removed the face plate on my Universal (turquoise White clone that looks like a Chevy dashboard) and it won't go back on correctly. There is a little flange of metal on the machine that fits in a slot cast in the faceplate. It simply will not seat. I'm ready to leave it crooked because I need some of its stitches. Any ideas? I also can't find the new belt I purchased, but you can't help me with that. I had the motor rewired and the other wiring looks good, so I'm ready to try it.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 PM

I've never seen this decal before--it's beautiful!!
Here is the pic of her hand wheel end. You can see it's solid. And needs a bit of cleaning up, too. :-( Missed that.

A pic of her bed decal, too.

best,
d
Old 02-19-2012, 08:44 PM

Everything about this machine is interesting! It is so simple in design, yet so fabulous.

But here's the BIG NEWS! I just got all three slide plates off!!!!! Wahoo. I'm stoked. We didn't put her belt on today in case we had to take her off the table to try budging her plates. But hold your breath folks, I'm going belt her up, thread 'er up and give her a go tomoree.

Obviously with the plates off we were able to access the shuttle. Indeed there is a bobbin in there but God's truth, I'm scared to death looking and trying to figure out how the shuttle is threaded. ISMACS, here I come. If anyone has experience with this type of shuttle and you feel like jawing, I'm a captive audience :-)

You know, four weeks ago there wasn't a treadle in the house. Now there are, um, some. It's sorta like sauerkraut, you love treadling or you hate it. I equate it with my first experience at a Pow-Wow. The first drum beat I heard woke up my insides like nothing I have ever experienced. That is how these machines are to me. I talk about them to my 'elder' friends and they look at me like I lost it. Sorta like motorcycling - if you don't ride, it can't be explained.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight with all this excitement. Wahoo!! (as she lets out a loud, happy yelp.)

best,
d

Enjoy!
Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
...To get the plates to slide ... It may take some days ...

Here is a link to the Davis VF info: http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/DavisVFmodels.html

Interesting where the bobbin winder is located.
Deb, Your are too cute! You are right about elderly folks looking at you like you're nuts to treadle a machine. My husband's mom, 87, thought I had lost it with the first treadle that I brought home. My dad, also 87, thinks I'm nuts. Both remember using treadles as kids.

For a video series on helping with winding and loading a shuttle look to Treadlelady, Donna Kohler.
Here is her link to one of her videos on shuttles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFQ6fTVnkT0

Congrats again! Glad to see you are enjoying these vintage ladies and gents!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:54 PM

Bea, a dainty old gal (Davis VF, early 1880's)
Wow, that is one gorgeous machine. I know next to nothing about treadles (having owned both of mine for a total of 10 days, lol!), but I know beauty when I see it! Congratulations on a great find.
Janyce
Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
Those are really cute. I will have to try them. Thank you Kathie[/QUOTE]
Kathie, Glenn's pattern works up really quickly and works quite well. I've made several and am using most of them - just love that you can make one in about 10 minutes. Chris
Old 02-19-2012, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by jrrotunno View Post
Wow, that is one gorgeous machine. I know next to nothing about treadles (having owned both of mine for a total of 10 days, lol!), but I know beauty when I see it! Congratulations on a great find.
Janyce
Be careful the machines and treadles will multiple before you know it. And don't leave them in a basement or room too long by themselves...next the entire room is full...just ask Miz Johnny.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
I have been corresponding with two people about free motion sewing on the 301.
Seems that the special FM feet (hopper style) are sometimes problematic on the 301.

I tried an idea and it worked quite well (not that I am a great or even OK FM sewer).
Use a button-sew on foot from any slant shank zigzag machine. Then completely
loosen the presserfoot bar tension. I unscrewed it until I felt no tension on the foot
and fabric can be pulled under the foot with no resistance. Then drop the feed
dogs and lower the presserfoot bar lever. Then good to go.

Cathy

Cathy, I find the 301 FMQ work fine (plastic ones that have the closed foot) but they make a clicking sound that is rather annoying. Loud and annoying. I quilt with it anyway, but it is much louder than I like.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:12 PM

As she laughs hysterically. DH and I both agree, so long as everyone of them is used I can have one for every room in the house. (We might need a house with more rooms, which is NOT to be confused with a bigger house. <bg>

Best,
d
QUOTE=vintagemotif;4990316]Be careful the machines and treadles will multiple before you know it. ...QUOTE]
Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 PM

Candace,

As I said, I'm not really knowledgeable in FM. I have only used 2 styles of FM feet and only to try them out (playing around only). I don't know if this button foot will be a usable technique in the long run. Twas only an idea, but when using the button foot there is no additional noise or bouncing, as the foot doesn't move it just keeps the fabric from lifting.
Cathy

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Cathy, I find the 301 FMQ work fine (plastic ones that have the closed foot) but they make a clicking sound that is rather annoying. Loud and annoying. I quilt with it anyway, but it is much louder than I like.