Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-27-2012, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Well, I have not made it to Oakland yet. I just couldn't change yesterday's schedule! I will call today to see if the Pfaff is still there and if it is, we are planning a trip for Wednesday.

Here is my Mocha 301. My newest machine that I got from Cathy, Mizkaki. The jury was out on her at first. I took her to Girl's Night Out, and because I am so used to the 1/4" foot and the acrylic extension bed, I just couldn't seem to sew a straight seam with her that night! Of course, it didn't help that the quilt top's blocks that I was trying to put together were all screwed up after I squared the blocks up! Anyway, I brought her home and started using her a a few days ago! I am in LOVE with this machine! I got my 1/4" slant foot and I am now putting the blocks together for the top I thought would not go together right - and they are matching (mostly)![ATTACH=CONFIG]315795[/ATTACH] I am loving this machine! No wonder Candace collects the 301!

Nancy
I hope you're able to get that Pfaff!! It's SUCH a pretty machine, and deserves to be more than an ornament in someone's living room!

The 301 is on my wishlist! That's a beautiful quilt too! I think you should send it to me when you're done with it...k?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Go to htp://treadleon.net Then scroll down to wood shop and they have plans for these machines.
Thanks Glenn, I think you posted the link a while back too. My DH was going to make a couple bases for me. I need a base for a Spartan and a 66 to sit in! He was all prepared to make them, then got hung up on the round corners of the machines. He was going to make the cases using what I think is called 'finger' like corners or something? Anyway, the corners go together like fingers. He decided that would be too difficult because the machines are rounded. I see the cases on Treadleon, are just square and they don't worry about matching the exact round corner on the machines to the case corners. Thank you, I pointed that out to DH!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-27-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 AM

Nancy he could round out the corners with a router. My DH is going to make a few when the weather warms up. Hope you can get that machine.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Nancy, I wish I was traveling over that way this weekend, but my son has lots of activities here at home. Otherwise, I would get that machine for you. It's about a half hour drive in one direction, but I'm sometimes close to Oakland to visit the in-laws...just this weekend we aren't.

I agree with pay with credit card over the phone. I do hope you are headed to Oakland today!

It's a beautiful machine!! The chrysanthemum decals reminds me of the Japanese love for chrysanthemums, used in art work, fabrics, and festival. That may be a clue as to why a "clone 15". Germans may have been intrigued with the Japanese use of chrysanthemums. I like to speculate a lot, makes for interesting stories!!!
Monica, thanks for the thought about getting the Pfaff for me! I appreciate it.

You know you are so funny! You make me think! Anyway, I really doubt if that Pfaff has anything to do with Singer's actual class 15 machines. Given that the Pfaff was made in 1912 way before the 15 clones were popping up everywhere, I doubt it is a clone of any type, but who knows? My thoughts on the whole clone thing is that Singer, who had a reputation for putting all the competition out of business with their lawsuits, would never have allowed Pfaff to copy one of their machines. Singer was not nice back then! We all know the reason the 15 clones all came about after WW2 was because we gave the Japanese the design specs to help out their economy after we bombed them. It would actually be funny if Pfaff got by with copying Singer's Model 15, as Singer put so many good companies out of business who even came close to copying any of their patents. I still wonder why, though, the Pfaff resembles a 15, but it certainly wasn't because the Japanese were making 15's in 1912 - they started those 15's much much later. Nice theory though - makes us think!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-27-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I actually got out the Kenmore model 84 last night and did a bit of stitching! I love that machine!
Charlee, have you posted a photo of the Model 84? Is it two toned?

Nancy
Old 02-27-2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
Nancy he could round out the corners with a router. My DH is going to make a few when the weather warms up. Hope you can get that machine.
Yep, he could but looking at the photo Glenn posted a few posts back, his Redeye is sitting very pretty in a case/base without round corners!

Trish, when your DH gets those cases done, please post pictures!

Nancy
Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I hope you're able to get that Pfaff!! It's SUCH a pretty machine, and deserves to be more than an ornament in someone's living room!

The 301 is on my wishlist! That's a beautiful quilt too! I think you should send it to me when you're done with it...k?
A week ago, I would have gladly send it on its merry way to anyone who wanted it! Now, it is going together very nicely using the 301!

Nancy
Old 02-27-2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Charlee, have you posted a photo of the Model 84? Is it two toned?

Nancy
I did post a photo of it, but it's buried somewhere...machine photos thread maybe? It's gray with a white faceplate...really a pretty machine, in my opinion. I took it out of it's original cabinet, a small one that had a "door" but no storage, and put it in this desk cabinet. The strip of light wood that you see behind the machine is the top of the desk...when you lift it up and slide it behind the desk, it lifts the machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]315818[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]315819[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_6572-800x600-.jpg   model-84.jpe  
Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 AM

Charlee,

I see your pretty machine has a trap door on top for cams. Do you have a set? I also love that desk cabinet you have it in. I've never seen one before. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for one.

Your machine looks very similar to our Ideal Automatik.

It has cams as well and we do have them. What we are looking for is an owners manual.
Our machine was made for the German market. All the printing on the machine is German and it came with the original 220V German made motor - power cord - foot controller. I converted it to American power sew we could use it.
By the marks on the underside of the bed the machine is a Japanese casting, assembled in Ireland.
I've been told the closest match is a Brother. But as of yet, we've struck out on the manual.

I'm just wondering if these two machines share a common heritage?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 AM

Joe, I believe I read somewhere that the Kenmore 84 is a Pfaff made machine. I do know it's marked "Made in Japan", so that may not be accurate, I don't know that Pfaff had a Japanese factory in 57. And yes...I have cams for it...3 sets! LOL!
One of the reasons I love these oldies....the whole setup for mine cost me $37.00....$15 for the machine in it's old cabinet, $20 for the desk cabinet, and $2 for the one set of cams....

I really like that base on yours.