Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 AM

I paid almost that much for my first one, because I REALLY thought I had to have one! I was wrong. I never use them. They're nice machines, though, and I think a far better deal than a 201. I have two tan long beds I still need to sell, and a black short bed that's running sluggishly, but I'd like to keep it. I think $175 is a bit much for a dirty machine.
Originally Posted by MistyK View Post
Would a Singer 301 be worth $175. A lady is getting rid of some of her stuff. It is dirty but the wheel seems to turn smoothly and the needle part seems to work well? I have heard that they are pretty good machines and am now getting where I want to invest in one. I really don't want a new one. Is there anything I should look out for? I thought I had a machine before, but it didn't pan out and I don't know much about them so I would appreciate knowing if there are pitfalls. I hope I am posting this in the right place. Thanks. Weather here is awful and I don't want to be online too much.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
http://www.burdastyle.com/blog/how-t...sewing-machine
a link for how to buy a vintage sewing machine. Better written than anything I could do.
Miriam what a great link! Did you notice the first machine he had pictured is a Pfaff 30? Thank you for the link, fun and easy reading! I love the comments about the straight stitch only vintage machines! His explanation about the single hole bobbin plate makes perfect sense - given that some 'modern' machines have a single hole slide plate and a zig zag plate. The machines with the zig zag plate only tend to eat your fabric!

Nancy
Old 03-04-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Little Mowgli is so cute and so sad to see in his collar. He looks looks like a fighter so he will be fine. Nancy if you want to give me your friends name I will try to get in touch with them for you. I hope they did not live in the area that got hit. Thank you for thinking of us. It was a little rough out here for awhile but we are fine.
Glenn, I may take you up on that, but for now I have other friends lookings for my friends in Alabama. I am worried. Thank you!

Nancy
Old 03-04-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by MistyK View Post
Would a Singer 301 be worth $175. A lady is getting rid of some of her stuff. It is dirty but the wheel seems to turn smoothly and the needle part seems to work well? I have heard that they are pretty good machines and am now getting where I want to invest in one. I really don't want a new one. Is there anything I should look out for? I thought I had a machine before, but it didn't pan out and I don't know much about them so I would appreciate knowing if there are pitfalls. I hope I am posting this in the right place. Thanks. Weather here is awful and I don't want to be online too much.
Misty, you posted in the right place. There are several people on this board who own and love the 301 - me included, but I don't think anyone paid that much for their machines. People can ask anything they want, but the machines usually don't sell. I see them listed on our Craigslist sometimes for outrages prices, but again they don't sell. I have bought machines off of Craigslist after watching for a few weeks for 1/2 of what the original asking price was and even less than 1/2. If you really want a 301, make an offer! I love my 301 by the way, but like Miriam said there are lot of really nice vintage machines out there - sometimes you can get one for practically nothing or free! Have you tried Thrift stores, yard sales, estate sales, flea markets? I would not pay $175 for the machine, especially a dirty machine - offer less!Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-04-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Miriam what a great link! Did you notice the first machine he had pictured is a Pfaff 30? Thank you for the link, fun and easy reading! I love the comments about the straight stitch only vintage machines! His explanation about the single hole bobbin plate makes perfect sense - given that some 'modern' machines have a single hole slide plate and a zig zag plate. The machines with the zig zag plate only tend to eat your fabric!

Nancy
I also had to chuckle when I read the part about cams or no cams! I love using cams, but I guess not everyone would! I also liked the part about the Kenmore 158 machines! Everyone has their favorites! I love using my Rocketeer with cams and my 319w with cams! We could all write something similar with - I am sure - a different favorite machine! For Monica and me the Two Spools would be right up there - that is still the best piecing machine ever!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 AM

Was reading my blogs this morning and was in awwwww when I open this one up. Just thought some of you might like to look at this machine too.

http://www.tozzscorner.blogspot.com/...g-machine.html

You can click on the picture to make it bigger.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:30 AM

What is the metal thing on top of the machine for, my dh asked and I don't know. Seen them on lots of old machines but can't figure it out. Fill me in. Thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weedwoman View Post
What is the metal thing on top of the machine for, my dh asked and I don't know. Seen them on lots of old machines but can't figure it out. Fill me in. Thanks
I've wondered about those things too.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 AM

That's the spindle, or for the spool of thread.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

does that spindle turn to get the spool on there - with all the odd sized spools these days that could be a pain in the neck.