Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
That's the spindle, or for the spool of thread.
I'd like to see one with a spool of thread on it.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
I also had to chuckle when I read the part about cams or no cams! I love using cams, but I guess not everyone would! I also liked the part about the Kenmore 158 machines! Everyone has their favorites! I love using my Rocketeer with cams and my 319w with cams! We could all write something similar with - I am sure - a different favorite machine! For Monica and me the Two Spools would be right up there - that is still the best piecing machine ever!
Okay what's a cam and why would one need one? I have seen cams referred to before and googled them but got everything from cameras, adult web sites, the Confederation of Australan Motor Sport, to pizza. So I think it is something one uses with a sewing machine?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
http://www.burdastyle.com/blog/how-t...sewing-machine
a link for how to buy a vintage sewing machine. Better written than anything I could do.
This is an excellent article!! He also has another featured in Vogue magazine on treadles. I will have to read that one too. http://malepatternboldness.blogspot.com/
Old 03-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MistyK View Post
Okay what's a cam and why would one need one? I have seen cams referred to before and googled them but got everything from cameras, adult web sites, the Confederation of Australan Motor Sport, to pizza. So I think it is something one uses with a sewing machine?
Cams or disks change the stitch pattern. They are usually oddly shaped. You put one on the place the machine has for them. Some 'readers' ride along the outside of the cam or disk and the machine makes a patterned stitch. You do not need this unless you are doing decorative stitching. A simple straight stitch will do an awful lot. Maybe you can try searching sewing machine disk or sewing machine cam and then the model sewing machine you have. Like 'Singer sewing machine 503 disks' and see if you have better search results.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
I also had to chuckle when I read the part about cams or no cams! I love using cams, but I guess not everyone would! I also liked the part about the Kenmore 158 machines! Everyone has their favorites! I love using my Rocketeer with cams and my 319w with cams! We could all write something similar with - I am sure - a different favorite machine! For Monica and me the Two Spools would be right up there - that is still the best piecing machine ever!
Nancy, I so agree with the Two Spools being my favorite piecing machine. So much, that the cabinet with The Eldredge machine that I just cleaned up will be revamp to accommodate my other Two Spools. I doubt I will ever use The Eldredge that is now sitting in that cabinet. Plus, the top of the cabinet badly needs woodworking done. Since my Two Spools will not fit into that cabinet right now and the woodwork needs to be done, I will change the top to make the Two Spools fit. The treadle on this cabinet treadles very smoothly, so smoothly that it would be such a waste not to use it.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
How much the machines are worth depends on how hard it is to find one where you live.
I wouldn't pay that for one in sad condition - I have sold some in top condition though.
You can try offering her how much you feel you can pay since it is not in top condition.
They are a good machine a lot of people love them.

The 403, 503, are good dependable zig zag machines - Here is a link on the difference between them and the 401 or 500 which usually cost more: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t160607.html
Singer 99 or Spartan or 404 are my fav little vintage straight sew machines as well.
I really like my old 15 clone sewing machine. Here is a link to more info on those: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html
If you read through you will find plenty of info - these machines are frequently pretty inexpensive. Some times free. Some times they freeze up. Expect to pay more for one that turns, sounds good, and looks good. These are a simple machine - parts are available - manuals exist and they are nice to sew with.
Here is a link to a 15 clone I cleaned up: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t169127.html
There are some real nice treadles out there inexpensive if you want to work on one - some 66s have back tack
Muv has some real good videos on the sticky for how to clean up a machine.
She does not have you taking apart a machine completely all at once.
There are some machines with long bobbins, some drop in and some have a bobbin case and go vertical.
Dig around on here - it could take a week or two to read all the posts on here but it might
give you plenty of information. J. Miller seems to have learned a lot in 3 months he's been reading on here about machines.
IMHO The new plastic machines aren't as reliable as the old ones.
It is nice when you find a metal machine that turns smooth, sounds good, makes a good stitch and looks fab.
Make sure the machine has a bobbin case if it is the type that uses one, a foot or knee control, tension all there and in place. Back tack all there. Bobbin winder work?
If the machine doesn't move, look for dried on oil or rust - offer less money when you see that - sometimes those will be free.
Finally, if you have any questions feel very free to ask. There aren't ANY dumb questions. You might even stump some of us - probably not all of us.... I can usually tell you where to look for information. So much is out there and so well written, I don't try to reinvent.
Thanks for the direction. I have a lot of reading to do. One good thing is that even if I don't get this one, there is always another one out there. Mama always said He's not the only fish in the sea, and I always thought I was chasing a boy. I am sure I will be asking more questions along the line. One stumper that I have now comes from the comment: She does not have you taking apart a machine completely all at once. WHY would ANYONE take a machine completely apart to clean it? That makes NO sense to me. Sorry I am just flabbergasted that anyone would do it. Well going to start getting an education. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman View Post
I'd like to see one with a spool of thread on it.
Scroll down the the W&W 9, there's an illustration of a man using the machine... the spindle "lays back" and the spool fits over the "open leg" of it, then when back in an upright postion holds the thread.http://www.sewalot.com/wheeler & wil...g machines.htm
Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by crewsemj View Post
Was reading my blogs this morning and was in awwwww when I open this one up. Just thought some of you might like to look at this machine too.

www.tozzscorner.blogspot.com/2012/03/old-special-sewing-machine.html

You can click on the picture to make it bigger.
That's a beautiful machine!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by MistyK View Post
Thanks for the direction. I have a lot of reading to do. One good thing is that even if I don't get this one, there is always another one out there. Mama always said He's not the only fish in the sea, and I always thought I was chasing a boy. I am sure I will be asking more questions along the line. One stumper that I have now comes from the comment: She does not have you taking apart a machine completely all at once. WHY would ANYONE take a machine completely apart to clean it? That makes NO sense to me. Sorry I am just flabbergasted that anyone would do it. Well going to start getting an education. Thanks.
Misty, there are so many nice machines out there...with a couple of exceptions, (my Featherweight and my newest treadle) I have not paid more than $100 for a machine, and those I did pay that much for were treadles (Singer 9W, AG Mason New Florence, and my W&W 8) My electric machines have all been $30 or less....(got one for $5!!)

Watch your local Craig's List. Most of the machines there are over priced, but you can often find a deal, and there's no harm in offering less than the asking price... decide on your budget and stick to it. Look at the Goodwill stores, thrift shops, etc. I picked up my Singer 201-2 at a thrift shop for $15, because it needed a cord. That cost me another $10. Take a fabric scrap and thread with you and ask to test the machine before you buy it. Even if the machine doesn't make a perfect stitch, it's often just a question of adjusting the tension. If you're new to sewing, a manual that comes with the machine is a bonus, altho most of us can help you find one online to print out.

One of the members posted a tutorial that promoted tearing a machine down completely to refurb it...something that just isn't necessary to have a machine that runs well.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by crewsemj View Post
Was reading my blogs this morning and was in awwwww when I open this one up. Just thought some of you might like to look at this machine too.

www.tozzscorner.blogspot.com/2012/03/old-special-sewing-machine.html

You can click on the picture to make it bigger.
Really pretty machine Margie!! Thanks for sharing it!