Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
you know I just like looking at the old machines. they are so elaborate. Another thing you can do is every so often feature one of your machines. give a brief history of how you got it.
plus you .can have a contest to name her.

mine is known as uncle eddie, because he gave it to me whenhe passed. Now i feel bad that I left it in the cellar. but am going to display it thanx
Not a bad idea, that might be something fun to do!!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mama2josh
So this is not exactly a vintage machine, but I did get it when I bought an old machine. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks,
Tara
Tara you are the proud owner of a Thingamabob!!!! :mrgreen:

I have not the foggiest idea what that rascal is but it looks lit it hurts it you hit someone with it!

Hopefully some of our buddies around the shop will know something about it!!!

Billy
Old 04-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lfw045
I love looking at the old machines too. It brings back such good memories of my Mom. I grew up around the sewing machine pedal of the 206 that is now mine. Can't for the life of me bring it to my home though. It is in the same place at my Dad's home that it has always been, that I can remeber. It's like taking a step back in time.
I know what you mean, but for me its a way of life. I love how you can use the machines and it feels like time stopped and you are in a whole nother place in time.

Billy
Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 AM
EC

I love it here ! ! ! !
Old 04-30-2010, 01:36 PM

Does anyone know about Universal sewing machines? I just came home from a garage sale where the lady gave me the machine that was her mothers'. It was in the basement. I plugged it in, the light worked but the needle wouldn't move except with the hand crank. Suddenly there was a little puff of smoke and we could see a little spark in the engine compartment. I stopped after that. She said to just take it. It has a whole box of attachments and the original book. It's quite heavy so it's not something I could travel with but it has beautiful gold decals and not a scratch on it. Not sure what I'm going to do with it but maybe I'll just look at it.
Wendy B
Old 04-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sunkistmi
Does anyone know about Universal sewing machines? I just came home from a garage sale where the lady gave me the machine that was her mothers'. It was in the basement. I plugged it in, the light worked but the needle wouldn't move except with the hand crank. Suddenly there was a little puff of smoke and we could see a little spark in the engine compartment. I stopped after that. She said to just take it. It has a whole box of attachments and the original book. It's quite heavy so it's not something I could travel with but it has beautiful gold decals and not a scratch on it. Not sure what I'm going to do with it but maybe I'll just look at it.
Wendy B
I just so happen to own one if you could post a few photos of it that would be wonderful and hopefully we can get you back on the road!!

Billy
Old 04-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Banned

Okay folks it is official!!!

We are a Virtual Section now so if you want to to bookmark this to your home page just go to "User Defined Sections" and click on it, then scroll down to the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop and subscribe.

Then every time you hop on you will see it on the home page like the other sections. This way we can keep up with this thread and will not have to look for it on the main forum.

It will just make it easier for all of us!!!

Billy
Old 04-30-2010, 02:31 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not, but I see you guys are so knowledgeable about machines. On our local Kijiji there are always lots of "sewing machines", some vintage, some not, what kind of price would be a good one, I feel I'm loosing out on alot not knowing if they're good deals or not. There is one, it's not vintage, but it's a Kenmore Selling Kenmore 16 stitch Sewing machine & sewing table , button hole attachment, 3 drawers full of accessories,& material, Reason for selling I'm moving...the cabinet looks like it's in awesome shape, she's asking 175.00 for the cabinet and machine, whatcha think???
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 PM

Singer Featherweight Plus Sewing Machine. In mint condition. Many stitches to choose from. Sews stretch material beautifully. Has a freearm to make alterations and mending easily.
The classic Featherweight Singer is smaller but does everything the bigger machines do. Only it is easy to lift and transport.

Here's another one
Attached Thumbnails attachment-29995.jpe  
Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay folks it is official!!!

We are a Virtual Section now so if you want to to bookmark this to your home page just go to "User Defined Sections" and click on it, then scroll down to the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop and subscribe.

Then every time you hop on you will see it on the home page like the other sections. This way we can keep up with this thread and will not have to look for it on the main forum.

It will just make it easier for all of us!!!

Billy
OK, I found the coffee shop. It was little scary moving but now I see it is just the same as before but I can access it without emails to my own account. Whew!

Billy: will you be putting a tute together with photos on how to go about cleaning a machine? Also, if I take each new vintage acquisition into my local dealer to have it cleaned and serviced, it makes it pretty pricey. Are you saying that with a little guidance we each can do this at home? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I hope that is what you are saying.