Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3238 of 4380 FirstFirst ... 2238 2738 3138 3188 3228 3237 3238 3239 3248 3288 3338 3738 4238 ... LastLast
Results 32,371 to 32,380 of 43791

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #32371
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    192
    For those of you that can't remember the last page you read, here's a trip I do. After you've read the last page, bookmark it and then go to favorites or bookmark, which ever you have and delete the other bookmark, that way the next time you come to the site, you be on the last page you read. HIH's some of you. Works for me. Lee

  2. #32372
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,146
    Blog Entries
    2
    I've been doing some FM on my !5 Clone - gotta love it. I ran out of thread. Now a trip to JoAnns or somewhere to buy thread. Bummer. I was on such a roll, too. NOTHING seems to FM like that machine. I just leave the darning foot on it all the time even though it works for other stuff.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  3. #32373
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    6,598
    Nancy,

    You don't suppose you could reduce those pics down to 640x480 or so and repost them? My machine just will not open them fully.

    Joe

  4. #32374
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,573
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Nancy,You don't suppose you could reduce those pics down to 640x480 or so and repost them? My machine just will not open them fully.Joe
    Ok Joe, I re-sized them to 75%. Tell me if this works.Name:  Singer 31's before.JPG
Views: 147
Size:  270.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    Last edited by BoJangles; 03-18-2012 at 09:09 AM.

  5. #32375
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,146
    Blog Entries
    2
    Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos
    We need a sticky for this one and the vintage quilt gallery.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  6. #32376
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,515
    Nancy, machines with horizontal hooks are notorious for not performing FMQ as well as those with vertical hooks. Although the timing may need a little tweaking, it simply may be the design of the machine. If the machine is doing all of it's embroidery type stitches with no problems, I would be very surprised if it's timing needed any adjustment. This is why both the 401 and 500 series are not the best machines to FMQ either. The raised throat plate on those two don't help, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    You know this surprises me? I always heard the 201 was the 'finest machine' Singer made. It surprises me that it doesn't do a good job with FM. I have to agree with Monica about the 15, though. I use my 15-88 exclusively for FM when I am doing a Quilt as you Go quilt top. I wonder if what Cathy said about skipping stitches with the 319w if it weren't timed correctly could be the problem with the 201's you and Sharon are trying to use? Maybe, not because the 201 is a horizontal hook, and the 319w is a vertical hook?

    Monica, those photos of the 201 being cleaned are cool, but with the 319w I had to put back together and time - there was nothing left on the bar it attaches to! I had everything off, including the hook/race, the whole bobbin assembly. All you saw when you looked under the machine was a bar where everything had been! So scary looking! I should have taken photos too, but I was too stressed out about getting it all back together! I have to admit it was a pretty cool learning experience!

    Nancy

  7. #32377
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,573
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Nancy, machines with horizontal hooks are notorious for not performing FMQ as well as those with vertical hooks. Although the timing may need a little tweaking, it simply may be the design of the machine. If the machine is doing all of it's embroidery type stitches with no problems, I would be very surprised if it's timing needed any adjustment. This is why both the 401 and 500 series are not the best machines to FMQ either. The raised throat plate on those two don't help, of course.
    I agree with the part about those raised plates. I have never tried to FM with either my 503a or my 401a, just because of that raised throat plate thing. I don't think I would be comfortable doing FM with those plates raised up! I would think the 201, though, would be a great FM machine just because of the mechanics of its stitch? I never compared the vertical hooks with the horizontal hooks! If what you say is true, Candace, my 319w would be a good FM quilting machine! Especially now that you found out that it drop its feed dogs! This is another thing for all of us to learn - anyone else tried to FM with a horizontal hook/bobbin assembly versus the vertical hook? I know the 66 doesn't drop its feed dogs - not sure about the 99? I will have to check one of my 99's.Miriam I can certainly understand you doing FM with the 15 clone. The 15's are just the best for FM.Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 03-18-2012 at 09:19 AM.

  8. #32378
    Muv
    Muv is offline
    Senior Member Muv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos
    We need a sticky for this one and the vintage quilt gallery.
    Excellent idea Miriam!

    Vintagemotif - thanks for the link to the blog - excellent pictures there.

  9. #32379
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,515
    Nancy, yes. My machines with horizontal bobbins can do a good job of FM, but the vertical bobbin machines perform FMQ a touch better. There are less tension issues. 15's will do a great job because of the vertical hook. If you've read my past postings about the 319, the issue is the design of the needle clamp or needle holder. It interferes with any FMQ foot/darning foot I've tried.

    I was hopeful that the new spring I got from Cathy would work, but it doesn't. It again hits in a spot that makes FMQ impossible. I'm going to try the spring on my Rotary 77 to see if that will work. I think the 319 could be a decent FMQ machine, it's finding a foot that works that's the big problem with this machine!

  10. #32380
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    Nancy,

    The adjustment that I did for Monica was only the bobbin case tension.
    I mentioned skipped stitches on the 319 because you said that the hook tip was intersecting behind the eye of the needle. It needs to intersect in the scarf area to take full advantage of the developing thread loop. If it intersects too early the loop won't be fully formed therefore resulting in skipped stitches. (Hope that wasn't too confusing.)

    Many people have problems doing FM with the horizontal hook machines, but not all machines for some unknown reasons. The thread path is the issue. The thread on the horizontal bobbin machine has to take an extra (sharp) turn to come up to through the needle plate and this can cause extra drag and therefore tension problems.

    Cathy



    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    You know this surprises me? I always heard the 201 was the 'finest machine' Singer made. It surprises me that it doesn't do a good job with FM. I have to agree with Monica about the 15, though. I use my 15-88 exclusively for FM when I am doing a Quilt as you Go quilt top. I wonder if what Cathy said about skipping stitches with the 319w if it weren't timed correctly could be the problem with the 201's you and Sharon are trying to use? Maybe, not because the 201 is a horizontal hook, and the 319w is a vertical hook?

    Monica, those photos of the 201 being cleaned are cool, but with the 319w I had to put back together and time - there was nothing left on the bar it attaches to! I had everything off, including the hook/race, the whole bobbin assembly. All you saw when you looked under the machine was a bar where everything had been! So scary looking! I should have taken photos too, but I was too stressed out about getting it all back together! I have to admit it was a pretty cool learning experience!

    Nancy
    Cathy

    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.