Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-21-2012, 01:14 PM

miriam,
That was funny. I'll bet that bird was around some before your DD got it.
That is funny.

irishrose, vintagemotif,
I have some bright red wool felt .... somewhere. And if I can't find that I have a huge plastic tote full of felt I use to make my custom bags.

I went to the TFSR site and printed out the section with the instructions on cutting out the new felt wedgies. I think I'm gonna need five or six of them.
Lets see, I have 5 66s, 2 99s, and a SEWMOR 404 that use that piece. I think maybe one still has the felt in it. Sigh ............. what a pain.

Joe
Old 03-21-2012, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
There is NOTHING worse than cleaning your house MOTHER IN LAW clean. You know we would ALL be down to your house to help you spit and polish if we could just gather up. I do have to tell you a funny one though. My DD is really good with training birds. I don't know how but it comes natural to her. ANYWAY. She acquired a very ugly old bird nobody could do anything with once. That bird took to her and my youngest son, especially my youngest son. He was about 7 or 8 years old at the time. That bird would ride on the back of the neck of his shirt - they went EVERYWHERE together. He was that bird's baby or something. You didn't mess with that bird. OK so MIL comes for a visit. The kids decide to introduce MIL to bird. MIL tells the bird she is ugly (true) so the bird says just as plain as can ever be, "YOU BI*** - F*** YOU" We had NEVER heard anything like it from that bird before or after that.....
OMG, that is so funny. Miriam I just love your stories!!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:38 PM

Miriam, I love your stories!!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:46 PM

Default machine at auction

Can anybody tell me if this is a Davis? It's up for auction this weekend close to me.
Attached Thumbnails auction-machine.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM

I think i did the math wrong. probably more like 70 or 80 years old.
The only problems it has is with the case. I clean it often and have tried a variety of cleaners including bleach. But after a few months the moldy look returns. any suggestions?????
Old 03-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weedwoman View Post
Can anybody tell me if this is a Davis? It's up for auction this weekend close to me.
NO. It looks like my Vindex Special - I like that table better though.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
According to Thomas, this toy was advertised in the Sears Christmas catalog of 1936. She estimates the dates of manufacture to be 1920s-1930s, and shows variants badged as 'American Girl' and 'Eldredgette'. (This is from Book II; can't put my hand on Book I. )

pat
The Encyclopedia of Early American Sewing Machines by Carter Bays has a picture of the American Girl on page 242, and this information. "This machine was made during the second quarter of the twentieth century."
Old 03-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
The Encyclopedia of Early American Sewing Machines by Carter Bays has a picture of the American Girl on page 242, and this information. "This machine was made during the second quarter of the twentieth century."
Melinda you are so smart.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ball_...re=uploademail This is a link to Muv's new video. Grab some tea.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:18 PM

OK, gots a question for those of you who clean up ancient, antique, old, decrepit, grunge covered, sewing machines and succeed in not destroying the decals. Or, what's left of them.

I've been slowly cleaning a very thick coating of solidified oil and grunge off the exterior of the Minnesota MDL ~B~ I got last week. The outside of this machine looked like the inside of an old truck engine. I can actually see the decals now and they actually have some gold, green and red color left in them.

I've been gently using the Goop non pumice hand cleaner with soft cloths, tooth brushes and cotton balls and am pretty close to having gotten as much off as I think I can with out ruining what's left of the decals.

The Goop has softened the grunge and solidified oil but some of it doesn't want to come off. When I do get to the bottom of it the surface is sticky with Goop residue.

My question is, how do you get rid of the Goop residue?
I tried a damp cloth and it turned what was left of the clear coat milky, so that's pretty much out.

Once I've gotten it as clean as I can I'd like to put a coat of wax or something on it, but I can't really do that with any oily residue on it.

Joe