Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-22-2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Melinda, is there a toy Damascus pictured in your book?

Nancy

Sorry to say no. It has the American Girl though.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 PM

Just a comment about top tension. Pulled out my 99K a little while ago, the one I did the pictorial about. Wanted to do some piecing with the ability to reverse tack my seams. I had fits. Birds nests in the bobbin area, sloppy stitches, and the feed dogs kept grabbing at my material and wadding it up. Or, I thought so.

I worked with it cranking in more and more top tension until it was up to 6 on the dial. This with #50 thread. Not right thinks I. So at one point I sat there glaring at it until I had a thought. I lowered the presser foot and turned the dial down to 3. No tension at all. Matter of fact the tension disks were floppy loose.

So I pushed in the numbered part and turned in the chrome nob until I felt some tension as I pulled the thread through the disks, then tried it. Much better. Another number or two in with the nob and then a readjust and now she's sewing better. No birds nests, the stitches have evened out, and the feed dogs seem to have quit wadding up my material. I'm pretty sure the wadding up was the loose top tension or rather the tighter bottom tension pulling on the material.

I tested it fast, slow, in between. 6 stitches per inch to 30 stitches per inch. I think I got it.

At least I hope I do.

Now I'm wondering how the tension adjuster got so messed up. I don't remember taking it apart at all.

Ah the joys of toys.

Joe
Old 03-22-2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
I do like my straight lines, but I'm trying to learn to do more--to have all the crayons in the box work for me!

Not sure of the picture quality, but I'll try to post a pic. It's not quilting, not on a fabric sandwich, more FM embroidery. He normally draws abstract stuff--definitely not the usual "quilty" motifs. Have to admit I'm a little jealous. After sitting down for probably an hour or two, he can do straight lines, curved lines, go back and forth, and have his stitches look pretty darn good (at least IMHO).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]321791[/ATTACH]
I like what is shown! The guys got talent!!!! Some are born with that talent, to draw, and it shows in their quilting too. You could always ask him to do some blocks for you that you then use in your quilts. I would!!

Thanks for sharing!!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:07 PM

Glenn,
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Dawn makes a heavy greasy cleaner too - it says on the label not to use it on painted surfaces - it will clean the gunk off a range hood but it will take paint off the walls - it will take off decals - the regular Dawn soap is a bit milder and does cut through grease
miriam,
I'm pretty sure my wife just bought the regular stuff. I'll double check before I use any.

Joe
Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM

On cleaning filthy machines, I have some thoughts. I love a filthy frozen, free machine. I owe them a lot, because when it is already so bad, I am not afraid to work on it. The two clean and shiny machines I have bought were much less satisfying- nothing to do! My cleaning of machines got much more successful and had better results, with less decal loss, when i realized one thing: they didn't get that dirty in a day, and they weren't going to get clean in a day. Miz kaki has talked of covering a machine in baby oil and just letting it soak for a week before she even starts on it. I think that is a wise course. The old finishes seem to respond well to oil, we know for sure they were designed to tolerate oil, and once the dirt has loosened up, it is a simple matter o patient slow wiping with millions o cotton balls, or alternately, squares of quilt batting or old flannel sheets cut up small. You do want to go through a lot of cotton, as the dirt is abrasive, and so after the cotton is dirty, you toss it. I have had machines really transformed by patient cleaning, sometimes by three or four patient cleanings a week apart. They seem to continuously improve. These are just my thoughts and experiences, I am self taught and unschooled. But I have had results I find satisfying. Laura
Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 PM

I couldn't agree more Laura! Well put!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 PM

Laura,

I had not read about coating in baby oil and letting it sit. I like the idea and will give it a try.
You are right, they didn't get that dirty in a day.

Joe
Old 03-22-2012, 10:46 PM

Thank you for placing yourself out there for us. It may be more interesting than you know.
I have a question about the black paint on the old Singers. I have a 201-2 and it seems to have clear coat of some kind on it. The clear coat is worn through in spots and the black paint is shiny under the coat. I was very careful when cleaning the machine so as to not damage the decals. I saw decals on Ebay under "Singer Decals". They don't have Red Eye decals yet though. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on regarding 201-2s. I would like to purchase a shop manual, but don't know where to start to find one. If I knew which one to request, our library could get one from the Library of Congress or some other library and I could copy it. Do you know the best one to request?
I was so machine ignorant when I started, I thought I had bought a 99, and when we got it home to Tennessee, low and behold it was a 201-2. A sewing machine man chastised me for buying it and said I should have bought an 11.
I know the 201-2 has a 90 degree bend for the thread that the 11 doesn't have. The 11 is supposed to be better for free motion quilting. I haven't attempted that yet anyway. The cord was intermittent and we ordered another one, which should be here Monday or Tuesday. It has been fun to clean it up. It came with the art deco desk, which we are refinishing. It is mahogony. There was one earlier in the week on QB which was oak or maple. It is a cute sucker. I can't wait to get it all done and sew on it.
I am downloading all the 201-2 information and putting it in a notebook to keep with the machine. It will be there for the next generation. This machine should last another 80 years. It is so well built. One final question?
I read there is a fiber gear somewhere inside that can break. The only ones I see are steel? Is that true and do the fail? I was told to be careful with it and not try to sew ridiculous things like the state on Ebay.
Keep up the good work and we appreciate any knowlege you can impart to us to help take care of our mechanical friends.
Warm regards,
Donna
Old 03-23-2012, 03:29 AM

My 201-2 was my first vintage machine. (I now have more than I can remember to count). I totally stumbled on it and had no idea what a good machine it was! I really only bought it for the desk, the deco style with the door. It's a great machine--not sure why anyone would give you grief for buying it! All metal gears that, when taken care of and not beaten with a hammer or dropped, should last more than a lifetime. I haven't tried to FMQ with mine, only my 15-91. As to caring for the finish, I'm sure someone else will drop in with some good advice.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:11 AM

Donna,

I think your sewing machine guy was just jealous because you didn't buy "his" machine. That 201 is a wonderful machine.
I tripped over one a couple Mondays ago and it is the nicest sounding and feeling machine I have.
Personally, I like it better than my wife's Bernina 930. No fibre gears, all steel. The owners manuals say to lube them with the Singer lube, not oil. You oil everything else except the motor and you use the Singer grease on that too.

Singer has manuals in .pdf for downloading. Here is the link to the manual page, I don't know which is the one you need for the 201.
http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/

And the link to the parts manuals.
http://www.parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/

Owners manuals can be found here.
http://www.singerco.com/

Joe