Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 AM

Wow, that Japanning article was very interesting. I wonder if anyone tried using a double boiler to help melt the asphaltum, or if patience, which is thin to win around here, and letting it dissolve naturally the best way. I have got to try it; I have a Singer 128 that is toasted anyway, and can only be better than it is. If any body does this, tell results. Please. And Thanks.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
Wow, that Japanning article was very interesting. I wonder if anyone tried using a double boiler to help melt the asphaltum, or if patience, which is thin to win around here, and letting it dissolve naturally the best way. I have got to try it; I have a Singer 128 that is toasted anyway, and can only be better than it is. If any body does this, tell results. Please. And Thanks.
If you do it take lots of pictures.... I wonder how it will smell...
Old 03-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Pat,

Looked up voyeur and found this on the internet. "The term comes from the French voyeur, "one who looks".
I must say that I have caught you touching machines, even petting them, and I once saw you
sewing on one. So I say you are more than just a sewing machine voyeur.
snort.......
Old 03-24-2012, 09:27 AM

Pat,

Looked up voyeur and found this on the internet. "The term comes from the French voyeur, "one who looks".
I must say that I have caught you touching machines, even petting them, and I once saw you
sewing on one. So I say you are more than just a sewing machine voyeur.
~snicker~ Pat, I think you've been "outted"!!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:27 AM

Looked up voyeur and found this on the internet. "The term comes from the French voyeur, "one who looks". I must say that I have caught you touching machines, even petting them, and I once saw you sewing on one.
Ok, so I do pet them from time to time! And one of these days if you all keep badgering me, I *may* finish enough blocks to start a quilt!

pat
Old 03-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
Ok, so I do pet them from time to time! And one of these days if you all keep badgering me, I *may* finish enough blocks to start a quilt!

pat
maybe you need to do a really easy quilt...
Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I need to deal with all this junk so I have a place to set up. I have a nice 99 in a library table waiting quietly in a corner, but unfortunately it's surrounded by boxes of files and covered with piles of clothes and bedding. (I recently moved out of my 3-bedroom house--already too small!--and into two rooms in my 93-year-old mother's house, when we decided that she shouldn't be living alone.)

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

pat
Old 03-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
by hand..........
Old 03-24-2012, 12:11 PM

Got a quick question. Has anybody done any shirring on any of their vintage machines? I want to make some sundresses for my grand daughter and my new brother (grrrrr) won't do it. I tried my 201 and had a problem withthe top thread being way too loose. Any help or idea would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 PM

I have not mentioned the shellac thing with these old ladies because it was not my thread and the the tut on cleaning the heads was written by someone else and was not mentioned although he knew the clear coat was shellac over the decals and the machine. When I get back from camping and fishing in a week I will do a tut on it. Not very hard to do. It is quick too.