Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-27-2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
A collector I saw on tv had 5,600 plus dolls - it was a couple. They considered themselves collectors but I think they've gone around the bend with the doll collection! Now my kids would call me a hoarder but they like living here and eating good so mostly they're silent about the size of my herd of machines.
I watched Selling of the Spelling Manor. During the show, Candy Spelling stated that she likes to consider herself a collector, but most likely she had fallen into the category of hoarder. She also stated that since the "Manor" is overly large, it wasn't as obvious to see the hoarding.

Guess there are messy hoarders and there are clean hoarders.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 PM

He would be borderline right. Our home is safe, nothing is going to fall over on our heads...no mice are nesting in my stash or anything ugly like that...but I do keep managing to bring home more, even tho I don't/can't use everything I have! Today, I found some really nice patterns that I HAD to have, even tho I have two bookcases full of patterns. But One was a cute appliqued winter log cabin scene, bordered by log cabin blocks....and three of them were of a doll and two dresses for her...and the dresses are made with dresden plates! How was I supposed to resist those? Toss in the Sunbonnet Sue pattern and templates, some old 10 cent doily books, and a couple of embroidery kits...
So tonight, when I was starting to paint a shelf unit that I found last week, to be able to spread out my pincushion collection a bit, he started teasing me about "Why paint it? You're only going to stuff it so full that no one could tell if it's painted or not...YOU M'love, are a hoarder!!" *sniff*
Maybe I am....a little bit...but he didn't have to SAY it!!

~wink and a grin~
Old 03-27-2012, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
I think hoarder's lives are made worse by their stuff ( filth, dirt, unable to walk through house, unable to use anything they own, stuff getting damaged by how badly it is stored, etc) Collector's lives are made better by their stuff. (friends, fun of searching, researching, and using collection, some though into how things are kept or displayed, and a home that is otherwise functional.)
Great definition (squirm)! And I think organization definitely has a lot to do with it.

pat
Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Power Poster

Oh. Dear. Me. Organization?

To the kids: The machines might take up space but they don't do stupid things.... (uh, yeah. right.)

UH, all that will give you something to do while you overcome your grief when I kick the bucket.

I'm not really hoarding, I'm temporarily storing them.

It's my GKs inheritance.

They are worth a lot of money - as scrap?

What if they cut off our electric???

I think I have been invaded and the d*** things haven't left.

Uh, I'm just waiting to have a yard sale?

Saving them from landfill?

Oh, I'm just learning how to fix them.

Parts? (Nah.)
Old 03-28-2012, 03:28 AM

I'll take numbers 3, 8, 9, 10, and 11 from Miriam's list.

I have one friend who, when she sees pictures I've posted of a new orphan machine I have, will ask if we need to have a hoarder intervention. I have another coworker where we have this conversation every Monday morning:

Him: "Did you do anything fun this weekend?"
Me: "Mmm. Nothing too exciting. Yard work, stuff."
Him: "Did you buy another sewing machine."
Me: "Uhh...well...."
Him: "You did! You did!" Frowns at me. "I'll bet it was a Singer."
Me: "Well...yeah, but it's really interesting because of such and such feature, and I don't have one like it, and it was just too cheap to pass up."
Him: Walks off shaking his head and laughing at me.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Hi,

Anyone know what model this is?

Jon
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/atq/2920388099.html

"New National Class / Model U "
Old 03-28-2012, 05:45 AM

Because we live in an apartment where we work, (a storage facility) the boss claims he's going to have to reinforce the floors because of the weight of my cast iron collection and all of the sewing machines! I haven't even brought the heaviest one in yet...it's a Brother Industrial that was given to me! LOL!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:45 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]323315[/ATTACH]
That machine looks very much like my New Home T No 3 with the coffin top featuring the Tree of Life design.

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails new-home-t-no-3-1926.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 AM

That's a pretty machine Jon, you gonna get it?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
I'll take numbers 3, 8, 9, 10, and 11 from Miriam's list.

I have one friend who, when she sees pictures I've posted of a new orphan machine I have, will ask if we need to have a hoarder intervention. I have another coworker where we have this conversation every Monday morning:

Him: "Did you do anything fun this weekend?"
Me: "Mmm. Nothing too exciting. Yard work, stuff."
Him: "Did you buy another sewing machine."
Me: "Uhh...well...."
Him: "You did! You did!" Frowns at me. "I'll bet it was a Singer."
Me: "Well...yeah, but it's really interesting because of such and such feature, and I don't have one like it, and it was just too cheap to pass up."
Him: Walks off shaking his head and laughing at me.
Ya know, I get the same things from friends, but they all know I love to sew so they just laugh and tease my husband about all the sewing machines. Besides, they all know the sewing maching addiction is much better than my other addiction of lots of Chihuahuas and horses! I am down to 7 horses and only 2 Chihuahuas, although I have been bugging my DH for 3 months to let my add 'one more horse and one more Chihuahua' to our life! He won't budge on that one!

Nancy