Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

OK, I found the coffee shop. It was little scary moving but now I see it is just the same as before but I can access it without emails to my own account. Whew!

Billy: will you be putting a tute together with photos on how to go about cleaning a machine? Also, if I take each new vintage acquisition into my local dealer to have it cleaned and serviced, it makes it pretty pricey. Are you saying that with a little guidance we each can do this at home? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I hope that is what you are saying.
Yes that is one of the goals here, I want everyone to be able to do their own servicing on their vintage machines!

I will do a tute for everyone and hopefully be able to cover the basics. The principles are the same and no matter how mechanically inept you are this can be done by anyone. There is no reason to be scared of the service work on these machines.

The way I see it if I can do it I know you guys can!!!!

Billy
Old 04-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Happy Tails
I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not, but I see you guys are so knowledgeable about machines. On our local Kijiji there are always lots of "sewing machines", some vintage, some not, what kind of price would be a good one, I feel I'm loosing out on alot not knowing if they're good deals or not. There is one, it's not vintage, but it's a Kenmore Selling Kenmore 16 stitch Sewing machine & sewing table , button hole attachment, 3 drawers full of accessories,& material, Reason for selling I'm moving...the cabinet looks like it's in awesome shape, she's asking 175.00 for the cabinet and machine, whatcha think???
Well this is really for the vintage machines (1850's to early 1970's) but maybe we can help you here.

Depending on the type of machine your after the price kinda differs. Treadles are usually a tad bit more (I think because to the seller old=$$$) but anything $100 and under is always good depending on the rarity. Any Japanese 15 is a good investment and they are a cheap to get into. I paid $20 for my Universal 15 in a mint Maple cabinet. FW's go for around $250 or so, but it is hard to give a value on something like this because of your location.

Some machines my be very plentiful and therefore not expensive but where I live they could be super hard to come by and the price is through the roof.

Pay what you feel is a good price and your happy with.

Billy
Old 04-30-2010, 03:34 PM

how do we make a post in the virtual section? Dh brought me home an old New Home machine today and I need to know what needles I can use in it.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ginnie6
how do we make a post in the virtual section? Dh brought me home an old New Home machine today and I need to know what needles I can use in it.
You can post on this thread that your on right now. But when you want to show it off lets say in the photos section on the bottom of the thread after you post you can click on "include this thread" under the "reply" and "quote reply" buttons. Then click on the VSMS (Vintage Sewing Machine Shop) topic and its there.

Billy
Old 04-30-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
You just did Ginnie...and you gotta know that we want photos!! ;)

Is the New Home a treadle?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Deborah Rae
This is a picture of the machine I just purchased this weekend. Near the post there is letters and numbers AF 307167. on the bottom of the sewing machine there is the number 16 and another set of numbers 32685
Billy, doesn't look as though there are parts of the bobbin winder missing, the gears and the thread guide or is this model 66 made different than the model 66-2 and 66-4?

If so, I may have those parts!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

They should all be the same Jan.

Billy
Old 04-30-2010, 05:59 PM

it is not a treadle...I wish. I'm not sure of the year it was made either. Just that its one of the older heavy straight stitch machines. The model is AHC. I will get pics tomorrow when my camera batteries are charged. It looks like the machine here
http://www.ismacs.net/newhome/manuals.html
except the badge on the front has the picture of the greyhound on it and its a tan color. I've been searching online and haven't found any info on it. I got a new electric cord made for it and it does run. Tomorrow I will spend some time cleaning and oiling it. It says in the manual though to only use needles made for this machine. They seem to be the same length as a regular needle though. If it takes a special one what kind is it?
Old 04-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Banned

For some reason the link works but once I am on there I cant see anything. Post some photos of her and we can go from there.

With the greyhound on her it should be an earlier one somewhere in the 50's?!?

And you are right the needles are probably the standard 15x1. You can always put one in her and turn the handwheel manually and see how it stitches. A lot of the manufactures put in there manuals or on the machine to use "their brand" of needles for best results.

Nothing but a way for suggestive selling.

Billy
Old 04-30-2010, 08:01 PM

I too, am betting that it's a standard 15x1... :)

So...what does everyone consider to be "vintage"??

I just looked up my mom's machine, a Kenmore 1980 Convertible, online because I can't get the fabric to feed...(the feed dogs don't drop under the needle plate like they should) and found that it was made in, get this...1980!! :lol: Found it listed as a vintage machine! My youngest son was born in 1980, that can't POSSIBLY be vintage! (Can it?)