Welcome to the Quilting Board!
Hahaa my husband just said, "why do I have three buns?! Most of us just have two."
The link to the recipe: Raisin Buns
Last edited by vintagemotif; 03-31-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Recipe looks great.... thanks!!
I thought I'd check back in this morning.... I'm a morning person and can't stay focused once it's 11pm here in the midwest. Anyway, I want to check and make sure I understand the refinishing process.
You use the naptha to clean off the oil on the machine
Then you use the denatured alcohol to blend and smooth the shellac, right?
Then if you need to add shellac, you dip in shellac and add a couple drops of linseed oil, right?
Am I leaving out a step? I'll have to check and see what I need from the hardware store and start working on the machine my sister-in-law gave me. I probably still have some cleaning to do..... the cabinet is really dirty, too.
I'm still a little confused about what to do if the finish isn't shellac..... don't know how to tell if it's some other finish so I'll be checking in to see if anyone answers my questions and corrects the steps I think I understand.
Whee - sticky buns and sewing machine finish repair. What a combo. I have to do mine out doors. I just can't do chemicals in the house. It needs to warm up tool...
NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first
Thanks Skip! Okay, just because I am a organizational fanatic, and because I haven't had my coffee yet so I'm a little slow, are the following instructions correct?
1. Gather naptha, linseed oil, denatured alcohol, and shellac.
2. Clean machine with soap and water.
3. Wipe machine down with naptha to remove old oil.
4. Dip finger covered in rag in denatured alcohol, then add 2-3 drops of linseed oil. Swipe finger over machine, gently blending old, brown, gunky finish with good finish until smooth and clear. Do not rub! Continue motions off the edge of the machine to avoid sticking.
5. Insert instructions here for applying shellac?
I write a ton of instruction guides for my work, so I start to panic if things aren't in a nice numbered format. XD Did I get it right?
Last edited by BoJangles; 04-01-2012 at 06:04 AM.