Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3347 of 4400 FirstFirst ... 2347 2847 3247 3297 3337 3346 3347 3348 3357 3397 3447 3847 4347 ... LastLast
Results 33,461 to 33,470 of 43994

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
    Ok folks, I vote chris_quilts in. You?
    Too flipping funny.
    best,
    d
    Vote me into what???? The funny farm with those nice padded rooms and the one size fits all jacket that lets you hug yourself all day long????
    Through Him who strengthens me, I can do all things - Paul

I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    sounds like intervention time if you can't even remember the color of the machine or what you paid for it.
    Slowly say: My name is __________ and i haven't bought a machine today. But it's still early so help me avoid the temptation. Failing that, let the machine be reasonably priced. :d:d:d
    roflmao!!!! I have a tee shirt with a Wilcox & Gibbs chain stitch machine and the caption says:

"There's no cure for my addiction, nobody wants to be cured!!"

Sharon W.

Sharon,

No way will I sit still for any cure.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    roflmao!!!! I have a tee shirt with a Wilcox & Gibbs chain stitch machine and the caption says:

"There's no cure for my addiction, nobody wants to be cured!!"

Sharon W.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Sounds like intervention time if you can't even remember the color of the machine or what you paid for it.
    Slowly say: MY name is __________ and I haven't bought a machine today. But it's still early so help me avoid the temptation. Failing that, let the machine be reasonably priced.
    Can I put that on a t-shirt? Love it:>

Blog Entries
    Rosie, my Universal which is about the same age as the 328 was very sluggish. First I discovered the belt was too tight and then I had to take the foot pedal apart (with a hammer) and clean the contacts. It worked.

I love the LaV decals on the 128. It's a very pretty machine.

Blog Entries
    What if the one rescued last week doesn't float my boat - too modern looking, but it sews decorative stitches very nicely - and has some cams the Elna doesn't have? Do I sell it and get back my $12 + $2 for a belt and ? for grinding off a metal part so the belt could work. It's the late 70s MWards machine - still pretty much a metal machine.

Yeah, I need an intervention - I'm up to 10 in a little over a year and I'm too old to live long enough to use them all. I think some of my children are getting worried. 8 'new' - I had two. But I'd buy another 301 in a heartbeat. And a decorated e-machine - no more room for treadles. Oh, oh, my name is Judy and I am compulsive overbuyer of sewing machines. The first step is admitting I have a problem. Nah, I don't want to be cured, either.
    Last edited by irishrose; 04-11-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Judy- I call it catch and release, when i get one fix it, and move it along. I have found they sell better when pictured with sewing on them. You will make someone very happy when selling it, and make room for the next prize! the last few serviceable but not interesting machines I sold were to an older lady who couldn't afford a machine, but wanted to start sewing again, and a young lady who was getting married and wanted to learn to sew so she could make her own curtains and things! it was a blast, seeing how happy they were. Laura

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    What if the one rescued last week doesn't float my boat - too modern looking, but it sews decorative stitches very nicely - and has some cams the Elna doesn't have? Do I sell it and get back my $12 + $2 for a belt and ? for grinding off a metal part so the belt could work. It's the late 70s MWards machine - still pretty much a metal machine.

Yeah, I need an intervention - I'm up to 10 in a little over a year and I'm too old to live long enough to use them all. I think some of my children are getting worried. 8 'new' - I had two. But I'd buy another 301 in a heartbeat. And a decorated e-machine - no more room for treadles. Oh, oh, my name is Judy and I am compulsive overbuyer of sewing machines. The first step is admitting I have a problem. Nah, I don't want to be cured, either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
    miriam,
    Thanks. got all that.
    When the machine was given to me by the theater folks, they said it was in the building and they never used it. I have no idea how long it has sat or what it looks like inside the machine itself. Outside, looks good but that doesn't always tell the whole story, as we well know.

After this weekend, the gloves are off.

best,
    d
    Before you do ANYTHING take the needle out. Then go find needles to match it. It should be a longer needle than household. Not sure but the sewing machine store will know how to match it. Once you figure out what size needle you have you can order them cheaper on line. I have an old 241 industrial - that motor runs like it is new. It's a hot rod for sure.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Sounds like intervention time if you can't even remember the color of the machine or what you paid for it.
    Slowly say: MY name is __________ and I haven't bought a machine today. But it's still early so help me avoid the temptation. Failing that, let the machine be reasonably priced.
    too late I won the 401 too.....
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    Judy- I call it catch and release, when i get one fix it, and move it along. I have found they sell better when pictured with sewing on them. You will make someone very happy when selling it, and make room for the next prize! the last few serviceable but not interesting machines I sold were to an older lady who couldn't afford a machine, but wanted to start sewing again, and a young lady who was getting married and wanted to learn to sew so she could make her own curtains and things! it was a blast, seeing how happy they were. Laura
    I'm with that Catch and Release Program or CARP... The last one I sold was to a young mom who sat for 3 hours working to make sure she knew how to thread it up and make it stitch. Did I make any money? Nope. But she got a good one. The ones from WM aren't going to sew her jeans skirts. She loves the look of it - posted pics all over the place - she already tried a plastic machine and it didn't hold up. Her 'new' Japanese 15 sure will.

I have kept a few interesting machines around - I have a 401G that looks like it went through a war.... I can't seem to let go of it. I keep my Consew walking foot around. I'm thinking others may go - my kids might have to have one big auction when I croak. Oh well at least they will inherit useful junk.
    Last edited by miriam; 04-12-2012 at 01:44 AM.