Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-16-2012, 10:33 AM

Hope everyone has come through the storms ok. I see where they have really been bad.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 AM

How hard is it to fix the tension adjuster on a White Series 77 machine? I am considering purchasing this machine. It comes with all of the attachments, manual, etc. but she said the tension adjuster doesn't work quite right. I am thinking it just needs to be taken apart and cleaned. Asking $45 and comes with cabinet.

Really interested in this old Franklin. The owner didn't know where to look for the serial number and I don't have a clue what to tell her.

I value any of your opinions. I haven't purchased a vintage machine in well over a year. Pretty sure a fever has hit me
Attached Thumbnails 1950s-white-series-77-.jpg   1950s-white-series-77-cabinet.jpg   old-franklin-25.jpg   old-franklin-25-2.jpg  
Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Candace,

The decorative stitching my wife was doing was on shopping bags made from old jeans. Some of them she makes plain, some are lined, and some are fancy.

But considering what you said, I doubt we'll buy any more.

Joe
Then it should hold up just fine. The local, big box stores typically only carry Rayon embroidery thread. I have to mail order mine (Isacord) or buy it from a sewing machine store. I would also feel comfortable using rayon on towels etc. that aren't being bleached.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
How hard is it to fix the tension adjuster on a White Series 77 machine? I am considering purchasing this machine. It comes with all of the attachments, manual, etc. but she said the tension adjuster doesn't work quite right. I am thinking it just needs to be taken apart and cleaned. Asking $45 and comes with cabinet.

Really interested in this old Franklin. The owner didn't know where to look for the serial number and I don't have a clue what to tell her.

I value any of your opinions. I haven't purchased a vintage machine in well over a year. Pretty sure a fever has hit me
I have that same White 77. Kind of hard to see in the photo, but it looks like the tensioner may be missing pieces. I'd ask for a close up photo to see.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I have that same White 77. Kind of hard to see in the photo, but it looks like the tensioner may be missing pieces. I'd ask for a close up photo to see.

Thanks Candace. How well does your machine sew? Would there be parts available if it is missing some of them?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Thanks Candace. How well does your machine sew? Would there be parts available if it is missing some of them?
It's got a nice stitch. Straight stitch only, of course. However, it is heavy. Ask about the serial # as there are lightweight versions of the 77 that were cast in magnesium and are more desirable. If it's the magnesium version the serial number will begin with MG. Mine is just the normal, heavy as sin version:> I've not seen parts for these readily available. I've been looking for a case and foot control for mine for a while with no luck. Mine is in the table with knee control and I'd prefer it in a case. Cases for these square, rotary machines aren't easy to come by. It seems these machines last forever and there are very few donor machines. There are some clones of this machine on the market made by Domestic and others, but the tension knobs may or may not be different colors.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 PM

Candace,

We just made a run to JoAnns and bought some thread. My wife found some polyester C&C in some real bright orange. We've used some of this before in other colors so it should work .... I hope.

SewExtreamSeams,
I don't know anything about the White Rotary, but that cabinet is to drool for ...... yum yum.

The Franklin was introduced by Sears in 1911, and is a copy of the Singer Mdl 27 made by Domestic. It is a converted treadle machine. It takes regular 15x1 needles and uses Singer 27 shuttles and bobbins.
Mine sews beautifully although being a shuttle machine it vibrates a lot and is noisy as can be. Especially since the Parlor Cabinet magnifies the sound.
If you can get it cheep enough it would be a good deal. Me, I wouldn't pay more than $25.00 for it and that might be more than a lot of folks would pay.

Joe
Old 04-16-2012, 05:07 PM

I don't use C&C, but it should hold fine for you.

As for the White 77, maybe that tensioner is just really dirty. I pulled mine out today to compare and it's possible it just needs a heavy duty cleaning.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:41 PM

I posted a new thread here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5147053

John Langdon is looking for help with compiling a database for dating our Wheeler & Wilson D9 and Singer 9W machines... please post to the thread if you have one! (Texas Jan, we *really* need the info on your new girl!! )
Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 PM

Joe, thanks for the info. Everything on the white looks pristine in the photo so I will probably take a look at it and see what I can determine is the problem.

I am definitely going to look at the Franklin tomorrow. It is not in a cabinet and doesn't come with anything. If I get it, it will my grungiest vintage purchase that I have ever made. I guess it just looks like a good challenge to me. If nothing else, maybe it will be a nice show piece on one of my shelves.

Thanks again Candace for all of your help.