Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-22-2012, 02:23 PM

Okay you guys are making me jealous with all your great treadle machines. So now I'm sizing up where I can fit one in. How long is a regular treadle cabinet (with the cover closed)? I have a possible place in mind if it will fit. I just found this board about 2 weeks ago and trying to read the past posts(on page 1077) but also keeping up to date with current stuff. I must have always liked vintage machines as I picked up the machine below at a church sale when I was 17, and that wasn't yesterday,lol. I paid $10. and it works perfectly. It also came with a box full of Griest attachments.[ATTACH=CONFIG]329843[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 214.jpg  

Last edited by rosie99; 04-22-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=rosie99;5162148]Okay you guys are making me jealous with all your great treadle machines. So now I'm sizing up where I can fit one in. How long is a regular treadle cabinet (with the cover closed)? I have a possible place in mind if it will fit. I just found this board about 2 weeks ago and trying to read the past posts(on page 1077) but also keeping up to date with current stuff. I must have always liked vintage machines as I picked up the machine below at a church sale when I was 17, and that wasn't yesterday,lol. I paid $10. and it works perfectly.

Rosie that is very pretty and so well kept! I kind of doubt if it was ever in a treadle. It doesn't have the heavy spoked balance wheel and it is in an older base. It was most likely and early electric from the get go.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 PM

[QUOTE=miriam;5162151]
Originally Posted by rosie99 View Post
Okay you guys are making me jealous with all your great treadle machines. So now I'm sizing up where I can fit one in. How long is a regular treadle cabinet (with the cover closed)? I have a possible place in mind if it will fit. I just found this board about 2 weeks ago and trying to read the past posts(on page 1077) but also keeping up to date with current stuff. I must have always liked vintage machines as I picked up the machine below at a church sale when I was 17, and that wasn't yesterday,lol. I paid $10. and it works perfectly.

Rosie that is very pretty and so well kept! I kind of doubt if it was ever in a treadle. It doesn't have the heavy spoked balance wheel and it is in an older base. It was most likely and early electric from the get go.
Thanks Miriam. It is an electric and despite it having cloth wiring it still works well. Anyone have any idea how old this might be? I want a separate treadle machine. The area of Newfoundland I live in only got electricity in the late 60's and early 70's so I think there must be some treadles hanging around in people's homes. I think posting an ad would be more useful as classifieds are not very plentiful here.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

I wish you were here - I'm finding good stuff right and left and can't manage all of it...

This one is interesting. I'm wondering if it is some kind of needle feed - tension must be on the end - looks heavy for sure. http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/2972369404.html
Old 04-22-2012, 02:40 PM

wow that is a lot of sewing machines, have fun.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
COOK? Nobody would eat it if I cooked it - sewing machines are a bit chewy don't you know?
No not Miriam Phil should do the cooking LOL
Old 04-22-2012, 03:25 PM

Miriam,

Looks to be one of the Singer 400W series. It's may or may not be a walking foot machine. The 400W machines were not walking feet, but the 402W machines were. It has a double rotary thread take up, not the traditional take-up arm.
Many Juki industrials had that style take-up. I have a household White brand with this Juki style take-up. Its a strange animal, but a smooth sewer.

Cathy

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I wish you were here - I'm finding good stuff right and left and can't manage all of it...

This one is interesting. I'm wondering if it is some kind of needle feed - tension must be on the end - looks heavy for sure. http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/2972369404.html
Old 04-22-2012, 03:30 PM

Miriam, I wish I was in Indiana playing with, I mean helping you work on and clean up all those sewing machines. I seem to really like the non-Singers, since I grew up Singerless. That fabrimatic is cute, cute, cute, and the wizard is awesome too. I like them all.

It is nice to be on this forum where other people actually understand the fascination with sewing machines. I think a lot of them are almost like beautiful pieces of art that have a purpose. I guess the way a lot of men look at cars is the same. Anyway, good haul Miriam. Can't wait to see what else you find.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:01 PM

Oh, Thank you again, Charlee.....I really appreciate your help... Honchey
Old 04-22-2012, 04:04 PM

Miriam! I was only off the board one day, I think and missed you posting your machines. Wow! This might seem like a silly question but which of you on this forum probably has the most machines (not that it is a contest)???

Amazing! It sounds like you and DH are having fun together. Terrrrific. My DH enables me but our count is still under 30. I do find it hard to pass up machines on craigslist.