Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-24-2012, 01:36 PM

Janice,

I could see just part of the photo images. I did see your very orange cabinet...heehee...but at least it's a Davis cabinet!!!! You might have to resubmit photos, just try resizing them before loading them. I want to be able to see that pretty Davis NVF of yours! Congrats!!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Janice,

I could see just part of the photo images. I did see your very orange cabinet...heehee...but at least it's a Davis cabinet!!!! You might have to resubmit photos, just try resizing them before loading them. I want to be able to see that pretty Davis NVF of yours! Congrats!!!!
I only could see part of the photos as well.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:21 PM

Hi; can anyone help me find info on an very old Singer?? Date on machine is 1888 , model # is K756545. She has a shuttle , needle moves when the wheel is turned. I have oiled almost everything with singer oil . Finslly got the throat plates off ,now what .. insides great topside a tad rusted . She was give to me Woooohooo . Now what ?????
Thank You for your help , Karen
Old 04-24-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by bsktkeeper View Post
Hi; can anyone help me find info on an very old Singer?? Date on machine is 1888 , model # is K756545. She has a shuttle , needle moves when the wheel is turned. I have oiled almost everything with singer oil . Finslly got the throat plates off ,now what .. insides great topside a tad rusted . She was give to me Woooohooo . Now what ?????
Thank You for your help , Karen
Here is the link with the compilation of tutorials: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html

Follow MUV's tutorial/video on cleaning a vintage machine. Congrats and enjoy sewing with her!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:14 PM

bsktkeeper I beleive your machine if it is a singer is a 27 dated March 6, 1903 -40500 made. Enjoy her. Probably won't be the only Old Girl you will ever get. Once they know you love them they tend to follow us home.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:45 PM

Ok Janice, I went back and looked again! I now see the cabinet in all its glory! For some reason it didn't come through the first time I looked, but there is no missing it now! Wow, is it bright orange or red? Looks orange, but sometimes the color changes a little when I receive it! That cabinet looks to be in good shape! I'd probably just keep it the color it is now, but I have an orange living room!

Nancy
Old 04-24-2012, 03:48 PM

I can see the orange cabinet. Maybe Glenn will have some magic answer for you.....gonna take a lot of magic to change that pumpkin. Great machine. I am on the lookout for one, but they are rare in this part of the country.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:12 PM

Bojangles- I think Davis used a really poor varnish? on the NVF. The decals on mine were completely shot too. The varnish was really dark orange and cracked pretty good. I ended up lightly sanding the head down to make the machine clean/smooth enough, aesthetically pleasing, to use. I wish someone computer savvy would create some new decals.... I sure love that machine!
That is a nice machine Janice! The Davis cabinet mine is in has pristine veneer but the quality of it and the pine is pretty flimsy compared to most cabinets and prolly not worth stripping down in my opinion. Orange/red is would brighten any sewing room. Nice find!

Dan
Old 04-24-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Bojangles- I think Davis used a really poor varnish? on the NVF. The decals on mine were completely shot too. The varnish was really dark orange and cracked pretty good. I ended up lightly sanding the head down to make the machine clean/smooth enough, aesthetically pleasing, to use. I wish someone computer savvy would create some new decals.... I sure love that machine!
That is a nice machine Janice! The Davis cabinet mine is in has pristine veneer but the quality of it and the pine is pretty flimsy compared to most cabinets and prolly not worth stripping down in my opinion. Orange/red is would brighten any sewing room. Nice find!

Dan
Dan the clear coat is shellac and will turn orange and brown with age. I wish you had not snaded the head before looking and my thread on cleaning shellac clearcoat and protecting decals. Did you post pics of this machine and where
Old 04-24-2012, 05:18 PM

Glenn-
Haha! I looked everywhere for tutorials on how to fix the shellac and couldn't find anything, maybe because I was looking for varnish. Kind of pixxed off when I did run across your tutorial recently, too late! I tried using Howards and some 0000 steel wool to clean it, which helped some but left the decals bright yellow blurs. Will post some pictures.