Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Well, if gas wasn't still over $4 a gal here, I might consider such a trip, but not as is. It cost me $60 in gas just to go to L.A. to get the Davis. I wasn't happy.
I agree with you! Patience is key as another one will be near you in the future. You just may need to wait. And I can do that, it's not like these machines are so rare they'll never come up for sale again!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I saw one that said Petite - it was not VF

Davis has more badged names than there are stars in the sky.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 AM

Yes, Pat, I got quite a scolding when I put info on a Davis Advance on the database there. I promptly removed the entry to stop the uproar!! :-)
Definite anger management issues! A good list to stay away from, though some of the information is useful.

pat
Old 05-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Before Jon answers you Nancy, I'm going to try with a guess, and then he can correct me!

Looking at the database for the Davis VF yahoo group, I'd venture a guess of 1899/1900, since there's a machine registered on the database with a receipt dated 8/11/1898 with a serial #697797, and the next machine on the list has a dated receipt of 10/19/1900 and a serial #780429.
Sounds good to me 1899 - 1900 - is what I will go with! Thanks Charlee.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Yikes, Nancy! I'm happy to say all we get is Garter snakes here in the Sac. area. But, I almost put my hand in a glove that had a black widow nested in it. Eeeeeek.

Just an FYI, that 301 longbed, ebay auction closed so you may be getting an e-mail "So, sorry we were out of town..." hahaha.
Yikes is right! I don't like rattlesnakes nor blackwidows! The dog that got bit is a Jack Russell that always has her nose stuck in a hole. We always get her vaccinated for rattlesnake as I expected this to happen sooner or later. She was at the emergency vets all night on high doses of pain meds, antibiotics, fluids, and lots of testing to make sure her blood was clotting correctly. Luckily, she just had her rattlesnake booster shot 6 days ago so her symtoms are nowhere near as bad as they would have been without the vaccination. She is home on pain meds, has an extremely swollen face, very lethargic, but doing fine. She will be back out hunting in no time, but I hope she learned to leave rattlesnakes alone! She was the 15th dog at the emergency vet clinic already this year who had been bitten! They usually don't get rattlesnake bit dogs until June or later. It is going to be a bad year for snakes!

Hummmm, I am curious to see if the people who posted the 301 do finally answer my e-mails?

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 05-01-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:04 PM

jljack, vintagemotif,
Thanks for the explanation and link on the NVF. Makes sense to me know.

.................................................. ...............................................

Someone somewhere who was using the tubular plastic belts told me they made barbed connectors to put in the tubes to hold them together.
I have no idea where I read that and I've had two computer failures this year and have lost much of my files.
I think it was the same gal who told me she got her belts from a lady in Kansas ... or was it Arkansas?

.................................................. ...........................
The metal belt looks like a long spring. How does it connect? Doesn't the metal increase the wear on the hand wheel and drive wheel? Where do you get them?

Joe
Old 05-01-2012, 12:06 PM

Doesn't make any sense to take it totally apart if it works. I highly doubt if they do it at a sewing machine repair shop for resale or to repair one someone would take in - probably someone is misleading and they all drink the koolade
I agree with Miriam, why take a working machine totally apart? Its like 'if it ain't broke!' I don't take anything completely apart unless I 'have' too!

Nancy
Old 05-01-2012, 12:07 PM

Well, if gas wasn't still over $4 a gal here, I might consider such a trip, but not as is. It cost me $60 in gas just to go to L.A. to get the Davis. I wasn't happy.
Oh, but Janice look what you got! It was worth it!

Nancy
Old 05-01-2012, 12:11 PM

Is that the same dog that just had surgery? Ouch poor baby.
No Miriam, the dog that had surgery was my Chihuahua! The Chihuahua's are never where there are snakes! I hope! The Jack Russell is always hunting - those dogs live to hunt. She is after lizards all the time - she gets gophers all the time - she is banned from my back yard as she chases my toads and frogs! She lives to hunt - that is what those little Jacks do - all day long! I may have to re-think letting her in the back yard now!

Nancy
Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
jljack, vintagemotif,
Thanks for the explanation and link on the NVF. Makes sense to me know.

.................................................. ...............................................

Someone somewhere who was using the tubular plastic belts told me they made barbed connectors to put in the tubes to hold them together.
I have no idea where I read that and I've had two computer failures this year and have lost much of my files.
I think it was the same gal who told me she got her belts from a lady in Kansas ... or was it Arkansas?

.................................................. ...........................
The metal belt looks like a long spring. How does it connect? Doesn't the metal increase the wear on the hand wheel and drive wheel? Where do you get them?

Joe
Joe, I forgot where I purchased the metals belts. And I didn't bookmark the page with instructions on attaching them. I found out about the metal belts from a youtube video; the person gave a very nice demonstration.

You do have to order the connectors when ordering the belt. I think there might be directions with the connectors. I just did it the way that looked the easiest for me. I cut the little loop off the ends of the connectors and then screwed the connector into the ends of the belts. It stays in place for a long time, but one time it came loose. That was a surprise for me as I was treadling along. I heard this loud bling.

I think Cathy might know since she has purchased some too. She might even sell them.

I was curious how well the metal belt works and treadles. Now that I know, I wouldn't purchase one.

My first choice is the aquarium tubing, the second choice is the leather, and last choice is the metal.

I think the aquarium tubing is the Silicone. Maybe I'm incorrect, and it is the polyurethane. Help! Cathy, what is the aquarium tubing material?