Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
And my favorite belt is still the leg off a panty hose. Never fails.
Please post picture. I would think the knot you made for attaching the two ends together would get in the way of treadling. So, how smoothly does it treadle?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 AM

I will second that the Aquarium tubing Works well, I have it on my 306w in a treadle stand. does not stretch much, but better than that it is "grippy" and i can run it loose enough to lift my machine slightly to get the bobbin plate off, and it does not slip. I was going to use oxygen tubing ( left over from my father's medical issues) but what I have is "ribbed" on the inside and i could not find a good connector. for the aquarium tubing I just snipped off an inch of tubing then slit the small piece length wise and rolled it up tightly and inserted it inside the two ends of the belt.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Please post picture. I would think the knot you made for attaching the two ends together would get in the way of treadling. So, how smoothly does it treadle?
treadles smooth as silk. i have a friend that said she would have to see it to believe it -- now she believes it. when you pull the hose tight as you can and pull the knot really, really tight then trim off the ends it works like a charm. try it - you'll see. i had two new belts - ruined one because i couldn't get hole/staple to work and i was so frustrated that i tried the hose and it worked. after that i didn't even try my other leather belt. i'll try to get a pix tonight.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
I will second that the Aquarium tubing Works well, I have it on my 306w in a treadle stand. does not stretch much, but better than that it is "grippy" and i can run it loose enough to lift my machine slightly to get the bobbin plate off, and it does not slip. I was going to use oxygen tubing ( left over from my father's medical issues) but what I have is "ribbed" on the inside and i could not find a good connector. for the aquarium tubing I just snipped off an inch of tubing then slit the small piece length wise and rolled it up tightly and inserted it inside the two ends of the belt.
Now that is clever taking the inch long tubing to use as the connector. I will give that I try!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:10 AM

treadles smooth as silk. i have a friend that said she would have to see it to believe it -- now she believes it. when you pull the hose tight as you can and pull the knot really, really tight then trim off the ends it works like a charm. try it - you'll see. i had two new belts - ruined one because i couldn't get hole/staple to work and i was so frustrated that i tried the hose and it worked. after that i didn't even try my other leather belt. i'll try to get a pix tonight.
Ok, I always pictured in my mind this knot no matter how small making the treadling uneven and not smooth. I will have to test this one out.

Thanks!!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Where do you get oxygen tubing?
My dad is on oxygen and they send new tubing quite often so he has a lot of it and when My aunt passed away I got a box of tubing from her. It is just a tad bit smaller around than aquarium tubing. You may be able to buy it at a place that sells oxygen.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 AM

~Tap, tap, tap.~ Waiting for photos of both the hosiery and the tubing since I have two machines waiting on belts.

best,
d
Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
~Tap, tap, tap.~ Waiting for photos of both the hosiery and the tubing since I have two machines waiting on belts.

best,
d
I posted the tubing the other day, but I'll post again. Here you go:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]332394[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_4305.jpg  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Oh, but Janice look what you got! It was worth it!

Nancy
Yes, I agree it was completely worth it.....but it was a surprise that it took that much gas for the trip. I just didn't expect it to take that much. I would do it again in a heartbeat, but it would have been better if the price per gallon was just a little lower, like $2.50??? Where's Newt Gingrich??? LOL
Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 AM

And my favorite belt is still the leg off a panty hose. Never fails.
Misseva, how do you attach the ends together? Just tie it? This is a great idea....and I want to try it. The belt on my 15 is slipping way too much...it's older and kinda slick.