Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3428 of 4408 FirstFirst ... 2428 2928 3328 3378 3418 3427 3428 3429 3438 3478 3528 3928 ... LastLast
Results 34,271 to 34,280 of 44074

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    Hi Monica, No, I haven't figured out how to get the wheel off. I will keep trying if not she will come up with me to the next TOGA. I have been doing some detail cleaning, all the metal, and the inside, making her shine. Was thinking of applying shelac using Glenn's tutorial. Here is a picture of her so far. The slide plates, and bobbin winder are all done, they just need to go back on. I will post a picture when she is all done. She is looking good.
    Anamaria WOW, you do great work - and so neat about it too! When I have a machine taken apart, it is usually all over the kitchen counter! Your work just looks so neat and tidy! What a cute little machine too! It looks like my little New Home T No 3!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Cathy, I will remember this if I ever get an Elna in need of resurfacing! Thank you! What a blessing that we have you on this board now!

I'd bet taking an Elna to Ray's class would be good too?

Nancy
    YES it would be a fantastic idea!!!! Do take his class - he doesn't recommend resurfacing though.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Miriam,

Ray and I have had the replacement VS resurfacing discussion several times. I still resurface as needed.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    YES it would be a fantastic idea!!!! Do take his class - he doesn't recommend resurfacing though.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Ok Guys and Gals...here's one for ya! This is a four foot "cowtag sewing machine" as seen on our much beloved Craig's List for Salt Lake City....a mere $499!! http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/atd/2966217034.html

Name:  Cowtag sewing machine.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  66.0 KB
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Wow!! Those are beautiful. What talent. We have a local guy who hand turns wooden bowls, and sets up a booth at the local monthly music show to display/sell them, but is kind enough to donate one for a door prize also. Guess who the lucky winner was last month, and whose dear husband immediately put it on the shelf with his "hunting stuff" and filled it with his goodies. As much as he tolerates my sewing, I just told him how good it looked.
    Wow, how wonderful.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Those bowls are gorgeous! Beautiful work!!!
    Thank you. We just returned from going to town. As soon as the groceries were put away, DH went right back out to the workshop. He has a new bowl he is designing and putting together. LOL It makes me so happy that he has a hobby that he is lovin'.

He does take time to build me new tables, cabinets, etc. or whatever I need for sewing.

Thanks jljack. You mentioned that your DH does woodworking. Do you have any of his work posted on this board?
    Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 05-05-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Blog Entries
    Guy's Pat and I went antiqueing today and found several sewing machines in good shape. Davis treadles with cabinets in very good shape with only cleaning and waxing needed the head needs a little cleaning but decals are good. A Free VS electric in nice cabinet. All machines had the attachments and original manual. Priced from 85 to 125. They also had a FW complete with case manual and attachments and all that went with it for $265 the machine decals are in great shape. Of course + tax. If any member is interested let me know. I did not buy a thing you see I have two Davis already and love them. I also have a FW.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    grayhare, your machine is beautiful. Wow.

Linda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    OMG! Glenn those are exquisite! Geeze, you are a man of many talents - from the crocheted spool pin doillies to the miniature furniture - and you sew too! I also heard from a little bird that you work on clocks too!

Nancy
    Yes Nancy I restore antique clocks and I maintain about 40 in my collection. From 1800 to 1890. Thank you for compliments on the mini's. Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Anyone that needs to do this to a machine to remember how to thread it, needs a different hobby!!! The 301 is one of the most basic machines you can own and to give it the measles is soooo creepy. I mean, come on now!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VINT...#ht_500wt_1221

I wonder if they have stickers on their door knobs saying door knob?