Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3434 of 4373 FirstFirst ... 2434 2934 3334 3384 3424 3433 3434 3435 3444 3484 3534 3934 ... LastLast
Results 34,331 to 34,340 of 43723

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

I am grateful for how generous everyone is with their knowledge and encouragement here. Great photos, tips, and hints- Thank you!

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    Here's one of those stupid questions you mentioned Joe. I am greasing my 301 today with my TriFlow Synthetic Grease. It will be my first time. Any specific pointers? How much is enough, do I just lay it on the gears.

A few weeks ago I took the tension assembly apart on my FW (also my first time) and put it back together. It didn't seem to be in there quite right but it worked. Then, it didn't work so I took it in to someone local who works on machines. He called me and told me that the spring had been bent and it was easier to replace it for $5. So, I said ok. I will be picking it up today. I can't imagine how that spring got bent. It will be so nice to have my FW back. It is one of my favorite machines for paper piecing.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Here's one of those stupid questions you mentioned Joe. I am greasing my 301 today with my TriFlow Synthetic Grease. It will be my first time. Any specific pointers? How much is enough, do I just lay it on the gears.

A few weeks ago I took the tension assembly apart on my FW (also my first time) and put it back together. It didn't seem to be in there quite right but it worked. Then, it didn't work so I took it in to someone local who works on machines. He called me and told me that the spring had been bent and it was easier to replace it for $5. So, I said ok. I will be picking it up today. I can't imagine how that spring got bent. It will be so nice to have my FW back. It is one of my favorite machines for paper piecing.
    Isn't it a bad idea to use TriFlow grease? I thought the oil was fine, but the grease had the potential to cause issues...

Linda,

I bought one of the curved tips syringes when I got my tube of Tri-Flow grease. Since it doesn't fling off or run off like other greases I just extrude (fancy word huh) a small stream around the easiest to get to gear and let the gears spread it around. It really doesn't take much.

I have had three top tensioner springs replaced. All were broken when we got the machines. There is only one right way for them to go in and they can get bent or twisted if put in wrong.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Brynn View Post
    Isn't it a bad idea to use TriFlow grease? I thought the oil was fine, but the grease had the potential to cause issues...
    Where'd you hear that? Triflow is great. Just don't put it in motors and you'll be fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brynn View Post

I think I read that somewhere also but so many 'experienced' vintage machine repairers on this board have successfully used the TriFlow grease on the gears.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Linda,

I bought one of the curved tips syringes when I got my tube of Tri-Flow grease. Since it doesn't fling off or run off like other greases I just extrude (fancy word huh) a small stream around the easiest to get to gear and let the gears spread it around. It really doesn't take much.

I have had three top tensioner springs replaced. All were broken when we got the machines. There is only one right way for them to go in and they can get bent or twisted if put in wrong.

Joe
    Thank you Joe. I must have put the spring in incorrectly but DH and I thought we were following the directions pretty carefully. I remember thinking that some of the directions/photos in the manual and books didn't quite get as detailed as I would have liked. It felt so good doing it myself. Hope next time, I can be more successful.

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I am grateful for how generous everyone is with their knowledge and encouragement here. Great photos, tips, and hints- Thank you!
    Me too..

Blog Entries
    I'm looking for advice about some machines I have. Should I clean them up really well or should I sell them as is? They are treadle machine heads that have no cabinets. In pretty good shape, wheels turn and needle action looks ok. Thanks for advice you have. Bobbie

Quote Originally Posted by grannysewer View Post
    I'm looking for advice about some machines I have. Should I clean them up really well or should I sell them as is? They are treadle machine heads that have no cabinets. In pretty good shape, wheels turn and needle action looks ok. Thanks for advice you have. Bobbie

I guess I don't understand the question. Why wouldn't you want to clean them and get them in good condition?