Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-14-2012, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Nancy, I still have never used my Free that I picked up for free.

On that same day that I picked up the Free, I picked up a Graybar. After researching Graybar and National, I realized that the one machine that I couldn't identify on CLs was the National Two Spools. That machine had sat for at least a month before I picked it up. I was too intrigued with the Two Spools that the Free got moved aside. I used the top of cabinet to hold sewing items and the only bobbin that it came with went to the Singer VSII. Interesting how one machine can lead you to another machine.
Monica, I know you have not used that Free. I have seen it in your command center used to hold a cutting mat or something? I really enjoyed sewing with the Free. I made several small quilts with the Free No. 5! But once I got the Two Spools, I no longer used the Free so it went out into my sewing machine museum for now! I still like the machine, I just like some of the other treadles better! I love my Two Spools for piecing and my 15-88 for quilting! Actually, I have 9 treadles in the house - all different - and they all get used for something different, from piecing to hemming jeans (except for my Pfaff - that one I don't use)! It would be interesting to find out what the rest of you use your treadles for!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 05-14-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 PM

how can I tell how old my New home sewing machine is?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by drom View Post
how can I tell how old my New home sewing machine is?
Hello Drom! Welcome to the board! Here is a New Home machine dating site. Look up your serial number and go to this web site to see its age. You can also call New Home and they will tell you! http://www.ismacs.net/newhome/manufacture_dates.html

Nancy
Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Geeze, look at this! It is way overpriced in my opinion, but what a cool looking Bernina! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/hsh/3014948874.html The ad says it is worth 3 times more than they are asking? Why? It looks vintage to me?Nancy
Nancy; I have one of those that I won at an auction. I was bidding against a guy who buys and then resells machines so I paid about $300. DH was with me and kept urging me to go higher so I did. His name is Fritz and he is a workhorse. I hope this helps.
Chris
Old 05-14-2012, 08:11 PM

I use my Free in the MUTT ( Multi use travel treadle) top. I have to say, it sews really, really well and is darn near silent. It serves as an end table in the living room when it's home. Still tweaking the bobbin winder on it, but it will get there.

I don't use the Davis Vertical Feed as much as I thought I would. For a treadle, it's really noisy. It is fascinating to watch. I might like it more if it lived in a different room. The Singer in the parlour cab is really just a showpiece. It sews well, but again, the place it lives is not conducive to use. It does serve with all it's little drawers, as a useful place to put stuff. The White rotary is really pretty, in a mission cabinet, but it does not like to free motion quilt, so I don't use it a lot. It is my emergency backup sanity machine, though, because a few years ago we had the house guest from hell and he was staying in the sewing room. I was completely cut off from all sewing machines, and I thought I was going to end up on the front page from the stress.( Luckily, we were disowned by said house guest, so have not been obliged to shelter him since.) I keep thread, needles, and scissors in the White's drawers in case of emergent sewing needs. My husband made the mistake of asking where the fabric was and was a bit non plussed when I replied that his shirts made about a yard each, and that would hold me! The hand crank 66 in the dining room is the one I use for sewing dolls and doll's clothes. Laura
Old 05-14-2012, 09:23 PM

laura, your machine really turned out great with the special treatment.
Miriam and Joe, thanks for the information. I had planned to get the spring and screw from sew classic, and also noticed they have the finger guard listed again if their supplies. I will also know to ask about the bushing spring and the cap. My machine will work without the cap, as I tried it before I brought it home. I carry thread, scrap of fabric, small scissors, and sewing needles in my purse, ' just in case'. I used them this time, and even got the tension right when I was trying out the machine. The first stitches had knots on the bottom, and I needed to make sure I could get the stitching right.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 PM

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=9963212
ohhhh shiny....in Columbia/Willamette. a really nice W and W #9
Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 PM

Laura, I found that using my Davis NVF for quilting with flannel was very nice since the walking foot carries all the layers of fabric evenly through. I too found that the Davis was a bit louder than my other machines, but the treadle is one of my smoothest.

Most of the time, I use my Two Spools for piecing since it has that nice 1/4 inch foot, Singer 15-90 FMQ, Davis for straight stitch quilting and attaching binding. The Necchi Supernova is mainly used for decorative stitching and zigzag. My Singer 201 is used for paper piecing, top stitching, and button holes. Standard Rotary is right now setup for chain stitching, but it too make a very lovely stitch for top stitching. Each machine is unique, and all are enjoyable to use.

It is rather convenient to have all the machines setup to do different jobs. I just have to remember to have the proper color thread on each machine. I also need to purchase a couple more spool holders.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:52 PM

Pat or someone else,
Who made this machine?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t188979.html
Old 05-14-2012, 11:49 PM

Thanks for posting the pic of the Liquid Gold. I have been to six stores in the last few days trying to find the liquid or pourable product. This can looks like the airosole can so I might have seen it and didn't realize it! I was looking for something more like the oil in a container (ie; Old English). I'm off to Lowe's today to try one more place. I even called Wall Mart and Bi Mart and they didn't have it! I appreciate all your input.