Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-22-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Retiming of these is a touchy subject..but generally speaking a retimed machine to take 15 needles is not what I would want. Singer manufactured and made these machines to take the special needles and messing with that will only lessen the stitch quality. Most Singer lovers get really riled when the subject comes up, honestly. But, if it has been retimed, the 15 needle should work with the correct bobbin case in.
here is my concern, What does not work with the bobbin case ? it flat does not fit in the machine ? the needle hits the case? it goes in but wont pick up a thread ?

if it wont go in the machine... yes then you are correct that the timing is not the problem. if it fits in but the needle hits, or thread does not pickup then it could well be that some adjustment is not correct.

I have even heard tell that the later incorrect case was a singer replacement for the correct casse and was "the one to use" if you were going to retime for the 15 series needle. I have also heard told that it was a "factory approved and taught" procedure for the Scottish/UK dealers. I dont know and cant say... I do know that I used the one that came with mine, and followed the needle bar setting procedure the Hook end play and hook timing from the service manual ( and I checked the feed timing) and mine now sews correctly with reasonable thread ( no heavy upholstery stuff) at all width and length settings either straight stitch or with any of the first 10 numbered cams that I have. when I got it it was pretty prone to skipping one or more stitches per inch on any width setting above 2 (dial is maked 1-5).

SO..... I can provide some pictures and part numbers, but not for a couple weeks when Iam home, I can provide encouragement and advice if you wish to check all the settings, and I am still curious what does not work about a 319 case ( as I may need another some day )

Still really tickled that there is another 306 on the board and am looking forward to hearing of your adventures.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Greywuuf, Dan, did you just post something about your 306 being in a teadle? I know I saw it because I went and looked at your u-tube of you treadling the 306! I like your black machine better than the mocha 306 I just bought. Do you have any trouble with the decorative stitches when you treadle? I did when I first started treadling my 319W!

Nancy
I have a section of video of my 9 yo daughter testing out the cams when I got them. she was making nice satin stitched scallops and icecicles.( in the treadle base as I have no motor or mount for this machine) this is before I went through and tuned it all to spec. it does not drop near as many stitches ( none actually) as it did before. If your machine is tight and correct I see no issue with the fancy stitches. I will look at my video again when I get home and decide if I should post it or not ( I have a hard time showing my children on youtube, but it is mostly her back ... still trying to decide if I am corforatable.. or heck i can alsways make more/better video as well)

Good luck and don't give up, if I can START my obsession with one of these odd ducks then you can Certainly handle it.
nice to have another 306w on the board.

Dan
Old 05-22-2012, 07:12 PM

Dan, as I posted above there are two different hook systems and cases, depending on the W or K (factory it was made).
Old 05-22-2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
here is my concern, What does not work with the bobbin case ? it flat does not fit in the machine ? the needle hits the case? it goes in but wont pick up a thread ?

if it wont go in the machine... yes then you are correct that the timing is not the problem. if it fits in but the needle hits, or thread does not pickup then it could well be that some adjustment is not correct.

I have even heard tell that the later incorrect case was a singer replacement for the correct casse and was "the one to use" if you were going to retime for the 15 series needle. I have also heard told that it was a "factory approved and taught" procedure for the Scottish/UK dealers. I dont know and cant say... I do know that I used the one that came with mine, and followed the needle bar setting procedure the Hook end play and hook timing from the service manual ( and I checked the feed timing) and mine now sews correctly with reasonable thread ( no heavy upholstery stuff) at all width and length settings either straight stitch or with any of the first 10 numbered cams that I have. when I got it it was pretty prone to skipping one or more stitches per inch on any width setting above 2 (dial is maked 1-5).

SO..... I can provide some pictures and part numbers, but not for a couple weeks when Iam home, I can provide encouragement and advice if you wish to check all the settings, and I am still curious what does not work about a 319 case ( as I may need another some day )

Still really tickled that there is another 306 on the board and am looking forward to hearing of your adventures.
Yep, like I said in an earlier post, it flat does not fit in the machine. There is a little peg at about 4 oclock in the race that has a matching slot in the bobbin case that slides over it. Without the slot, no go. For sure. I have both cases for my 319, and one will not go in the machine.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Well, maybe I didn't buy Class 15 bobbins. This is what I bought from Sew-Classics:

http://shop.sew-classic.com/Bobbins-...?categoryId=-1

Will these bobbins fit other Singer machines in addition to my FW and 301 machines?
Originally Posted by BoJangles
No sorry Linda, but the bobbins that fit the FW's and 301's are unique to those machines. They won't work on any other machine.

Nancy
Actually yes the 221 - 301 bobbins will fit another machine, the Singer 9W-7. You see the 9W-7 (the Singer version of the W&W D9) used that bobbin long before the others came along.

Joe
Old 05-23-2012, 05:30 AM

Nancy, don't know if this will help but here is a picture of the bobbin case for a 306K. I have another one but can't get to it right now. Don't know if it has the same bobbin or not.
Attached Thumbnails 306k-bobbin-case.jpg  
Old 05-23-2012, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post

Dan to answer your question, no the case from the 319w will not even go into this machine so I have no idea if I could pick up the thread or if the needle will hit! Without the case, the needle clears nicely, but again until I have a case and can try to pick up the thread and sew - I won't know. I will order a case today from Sew Classic. Cathy has them but does not know where they are as she just moved - finished yesterday - yikes what a job!

I am confused, are you saying you re-timed your 306 for 15x1 needles? I wouldn't do that. I will stick with what this machine was suppose to use - unless someone else already did mess with it! In that case, I want to put it back if possible to the original settings!

Nancy
Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
Nancy, don't know if this will help but here is a picture of the bobbin case for a 306K. I have another one but can't get to it right now. Don't know if it has the same bobbin or not.
Thank you Trish, that is the same bobbin case that goes into my 319w! Unfortunately, it won't even go into the 306W! I have to get the open bobbin case for the 306w! So ridiculous that Singer made the 306K and 306W use different cases! I always thought the letter only designated where the machines were made! Someone got the specs messed up between the two factories I think! Again, Candace and Melinda are right, the closed bobbin is a no go on this machine! Geeze, now I will have to look at all the machines I get that do or don't have a letter or different letter in the model number! I have always thought that letter meant nothing more than the machines were made at a different factory - everything about the machines were the same!!!!! Now we all know that letter can be a very important bit of information about the machine itself!!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 05-23-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Actually yes the 221 - 301 bobbins will fit another machine, the Singer 9W-7. You see the 9W-7 (the Singer version of the W&W D9) used that bobbin long before the others came along.

Joe
Joe, I have taken a couple classes on the 221/301 and always been told the bobbins were unique to those machines! What an interesting bit of information! Please post a photo of the Singer 9W -7. I have a Singer 9W. Is the 9W-7 different? I need to go take that machine out and look at the bobbin!

What we all learn here is amazing and so much fun! This thing with the 306w and the 306k just amazes me too!

Nancy
Old 05-23-2012, 06:41 AM

Candace, look what we have all learned due to your enabling! If it weren't for you sending me the ad, I wouldn't have picked up this machine and none of us would know how important that little letter is to the model number! I still think Singer was on drugs or something when they made these machines different! I wonder how many other models made in different factories were made different or is the 306 series an anomaly? What about the 206 and 319's?

Monica, where have you been? You like to do research!

Nancy