Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-26-2012, 11:53 AM

How did he alter it? I have a couple of those myself. They work great on removing the throat plate screws in hard to reach areas.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:06 PM

Yeah, how did he alter it x 2. We've got many of those off set screw drivers and they're all awkward to use.

Joe
Old 05-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Glenn, I taught most of my grandsons to sew, but now that some of them are teens most of them no longer sew. When they were little, they thought sewing was really cool. They all made several projects - book covers, place mats, large quilted bags to carry their stuff in when spending the night, and a lap sized quilt. Now, Marcus, the 3-year old wants to learn to sew just because he thinks it is fun - I doubt he keeps it up, though, after he gets a little older! At least one of the boys, who is now 14 can mend for his mom and they all know how to operate a sewing machine! I think that is important since most girls don't even do that anymore - they can't even mend a torn blouse or hem something! Besides in the good old days, most tailors were men! I think it is great that your grandmother taught you to sew and that you still sew! I use to hold a quilt camp here every summer for the grandkids! We had kids all summer anyway and that way they had something to do besides drive us nuts with the quads going all day, gave the horses a break - and it kept them out of Grampa's hair!

Nancy
Since I am a fair hand at running a power saw of any kind, my DH insisted that our boys learn to sew. Any boys that end up helpers to him have to learn to sew before he lets them use a saw. My youngest son has done quite a bit of sewing and is looking at starting some thing up with some sewing as a business. You can always have them do dot to dot or some mazes - good for hand eye mumbo jumbo too.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Red Belaire sewing machine on my bench - the machine belongs to my boss - it's in for a tune up.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]338013[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails kevins-belaire-sewing-machine-004.jpg   kevins-belaire-sewing-machine-003.jpg  
Old 05-26-2012, 12:27 PM

Wow. I love that machine, Miriam.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
How did he alter it? I have a couple of those myself. They work great on removing the throat plate screws in hard to reach areas.
He ground down one of the blades to make it thinner for the smaller/thinner slot screws. It works great when the space around the throat plate is limited.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:29 PM

Off topic, but wanted to share anyway. We went to our National Cemetery today to help put flags on the veterans graves. Took my mom, since my dad is there and we wanted to put his flag on together. Here's pics. It was a wonderful day there...cool, but very beautiful!!
Attached Thumbnails img_1931.jpg   img_1939.jpg  
Old 05-26-2012, 01:04 PM

I would love to put flags on my dads grave. But he's in Casper, WY, and sadly I'm not.

Joe
Old 05-26-2012, 01:18 PM

my newest: broke all my own rules- missing shuttle, in a cabinet,, needs rewiring, but 3/4 sized! Cute as bug![ATTACH=CONFIG]338030[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2012-05-24-13.27.37.jpg  
Old 05-26-2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I would love to put flags on my dads grave. But he's in Casper, WY, and sadly I'm not.

Joe
and I would love to have a dad. those of you that did, or still do, please give him a hug, or remember him fondly!