Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-29-2012, 12:44 PM

Oh and while I'm being my feisty self, my first Two Spools that I picked up for $30 out of Turlock that was sitting on CLs post for over a month, nobody even knew it was sitting there. The guy had it posted for $80 and I got it for $30.

Also found a very nice FW in box with attachments, manual, Singer sewing course, and oil can on San Jose CLs for $110. That machine had sat for over two weeks because seller posted it as a Singer 15-91, but photo showed a FW.
I drove 30 minutes just to check if machine was a FW or Singer 15.

A Davis NVF sat for weeks at $30, even after I posted a heads up here. I picked up that machine, which was my 2nd Davis NVF.

Then I saw another Davis NVF out in Modesto area in cabinet, that I posted here and on TreadleOn. That TreadleOn posting caused trouble, seems many wanted that machine and were just watching and waiting for price to drop. If I hadn't already owned a Davis NVF (by then I owned two), that machine would have been mine since I would have paid full price.

And then there were all my free machines: Singer VS2, Standard Rotary with spider attachment, Singer 9W, and a free cabinet. Some of these I picked up quickly and others sat for days on CLs.

As I have stated before, somehow the machine has a way of finding its new steward.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:58 PM

Singer tin box for $9: http://maine.craigslist.org/clt/3043549165.html
Old 05-29-2012, 01:01 PM

Free Kenmore in cabinet with chair:http://maine.craigslist.org/zip/3043542531.html
Old 05-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Free Kenmore in cabinet with chair:http://maine.craigslist.org/zip/3043542531.html
I've got a few Kenmore machines right now. While they are heavy they are sturdy, reliable and will last a lot longer than those plastic machines. That one no doubt has stuck knobs and needs the cord. If you claim it post it on here and we'll help you get her moving.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I've got a few Kenmore machines right now. While they are heavy they are sturdy, reliable and will last a lot longer than those plastic machines. That one no doubt has stuck knobs and needs the cord. If you claim it post it on here and we'll help you get her moving.

Miriam, I would have gone after it just for the free chair.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

Believe it or not that machine is totally black. In the right light the nose looks like chrome - but it really is black - everything is black. It has a potted motor - Rain says it has a wire cover leak somewhere inside and then down the front of the machine - look by the badge. Tar like stuff. This machine made it to the bench for a while today. It would not turn. No movement. I dug out a bunch of lint and oiled it up with Triflow. After I got it fairly clean it still would not budge. I started putting things back together and when I went to put on the feed dog cover I noticed it rocked a bit. So I re-oiled the stuff that moves and rocked it a bit. Nothing moving. So I put the rest of the stuff on it and then gave it a good turn and guess what - it moves. Some of the black goo wiped up - all but a couple specks is off the badge. Feels good to win one once in a while. That one is by no means ready to sew but it looks do-able. I will need to learn a few things about wiring from Rain's blog to get this machine in good shape. Now I'm wondering if the tar like stuff was somewhere in the gears or moving parts gunking it up. I wonder if I need to very quickly pull that motor off...
just a pic to refresh your memory...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]338654[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails may-19-2012-027.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Oh BTW does anybody see a screw/knob missing?
Old 05-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Miriam, I would have gone after it just for the free chair.
I was thinking the same thing.... specially if it has storage under it...
Old 05-29-2012, 01:29 PM

Hummmm Monica, I have to agree with Candace and Melinda on this one. Remember my beautiful Pfaff treadle Candace found for me in Oakland? Well, she posted it here and there were several people from this site trying to get it before I could get it! I am sure most of them were lurkers, but everyone knew how much I wanted it and some here were trying to get it before I could get down there! Yeah, I agree with Candace if I find a machine that I know one of the regular contributors on here really wants, I will send that person a heads up first! I didn't realize this went on until I went to get the Pfaff. The store owner told us all about the people who were trying to get him to hold the machine, ship the machine, let them pay with a credit card on the phone so they'd be sure and get it before I could - people from this site - mostly lurkers - people who don't contribute, but take advantage of the deals we find! I was pretty naive until then - I hadn't realized there are lots and lots of people who lurk here, but never contribute, yet will jump on something we post for one of the regulars!

Nancy

Melinda, that ended up being an advantage for you though! I will remember that lesson if I ever bid on something and change my mind - try to get out of it!

Last edited by BoJangles; 05-29-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I keep my eyes open for a vintage red for ya Nancy...haven't found one yet, but I keep looking!

There is a Red machine that shows up on the San Diego Craig's list at an outrageous price. I think I had posted the info before but I couldn't find it today but it seems like it has been showing up for at least 5 months. I will post it when it pops up again.

Lisa

Okay it just showed up again, price is down to $130!
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/art/3045180210.html

Last edited by quilt addict; 05-29-2012 at 01:39 PM.