Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-05-2012, 07:45 PM

Is everyone familiar with Pinterest? I did a search on this site for Pink sewing machines, this is what came up.
http://pinterest.com/search/?q=pink+sewing+machine
Old 06-05-2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
Is everyone familiar with Pinterest? I did a search on this site for Pink sewing machines, this is what came up.
Lots of pink! Mine looks like this one (or did, before it was converted to handcrank.)

http://pinterest.com/pin/72831718944006248/

pat
Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
Charlee, what do you mean by "gray areas"? I'm asking 'cause I refinished that same cabinet for my 403. Mine was a REAL mess when I got it. There were thick sloppy layers of varnish over dirt. Someone replaced a screw on the right front leg with one that was so long it was sticking out the side. Veneer peeling with a gummy glue just rubbed on top to stick it down(?). Unbelievable mess!

Anyway, it took a lot of work (stripping, filling, even some false graining) but it looks really nice now. I finished it with tung oil, buffing with fine steel wool between coats. And after the 2nd coat, the left front leg developed some light whitish-gray streaks. I've refinished a lot of furniture & NEVER had anything like that happen before...kinda looked like it was waxed over a damp spot! I had to buff them out & blend stain over those spots twice before I got rid of them. I was thinking that there was some kind of filler in the wood that stripping & sanding didn't remove...& that it reacted either with the tung oil or the mineral spirits that I wiped it down with after buffing with the steel wool.

Like I said, I've been around refinishing forever...my folks collected antiques. And, I've redone a lot of pieces myself & I've never had this happen. When I saw a mention of gray areas on the very same cabinet, it made me wonder if the same thing happened to you.

By the way, I think your's turned out great!
Yep. "Whitish-gray streaks" pretty much covers it! In some spots, "blotches". The shellac had dried a week before I tried MinWax Finishing Wax....and got the gray. I removed the wax, buffed with steel wool, reapplied another coat of shellac...and got gray again. They may have been there before I put the wax on, but I didn't notice them...

I did notice that this cabinet seems to be made of "leftovers". One side panel is a pretty tiger oak, one a straight grain oak. All of the woods seemed to be different colors as far as browns, reds, grays...one of the legs is darker like the rest of the cabinet on one side, and light tan on the other...

This cabinet was a challenge to be sure, and I just got to the point where I thought it looked nice enough, even tho it wouldn't have passed Skip's inspection if he was doing it himself!!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:31 PM

That's soooo funny. My pink Morse photo that I posted here is on that site. LOL.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Yep. "Whitish-gray streaks" pretty much covers it! In some spots, "blotches". The shellac had dried a week before I tried MinWax Finishing Wax....and got the gray. I removed the wax, buffed with steel wool, reapplied another coat of shellac...and got gray again. They may have been there before I put the wax on, but I didn't notice them...

I did notice that this cabinet seems to be made of "leftovers". One side panel is a pretty tiger oak, one a straight grain oak. All of the woods seemed to be different colors as far as browns, reds, grays...one of the legs is darker like the rest of the cabinet on one side, and light tan on the other...

This cabinet was a challenge to be sure, and I just got to the point where I thought it looked nice enough, even tho it wouldn't have passed Skip's inspection if he was doing it himself!!
Well we used entirely different finishes & it happened to both cabinets. I was even thinking that the paper towels I used to wipe it down with mineral spirits had traces of bleach in them. And yeah, I think it was one of Singer's cheaper cabinets. Mine had a "leftovers" too! I was mixing stain to do this leg...a different mixture for the top, etc. just to get all the pieces to match...or at least blend with one another. Mine had a nearly white streak in the wood across the top that just wouldn't absorb any stain. Believe it or not, I blended that streak to match the rest of the top with leather dye...that was the only thing it would absorb!

Everybody who sees it thinks it looks great...I could still see where all the problems are/were. BUT I was sooooo sick of messing with it that I decided "good enough" too. And now (about a year later), I'm thinking it DOES look pretty good...unless I really inspect it! Your's looks really good to me...give it some time & it'll look good to you, too!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
OK, back to my 3/4 size question....I measured my AG Mason New Glenwood last night. The bed is 13.5" long, 7.5" wide. The throat is 8.5" from needle to front of column. I measured the height of the machine but now I don't remember. Anyway, she is close to full size, but I think because of that curved off bed behind the column she just looks really small.
Janice I love that Glenwood - great looking machine!

Charlee, fantastic job on the cabinet! You wouldn't do things like that if you were lazy - we all know better!

Nancy
Old 06-06-2012, 05:39 AM

Geeze, Anamaria I should post my pink Sterling on there - they don't have one of my machine posted! What a cool site!

And Trish, I don't see a pink Merritt either! What a pretty pink machine!

Nancy
Old 06-06-2012, 05:40 AM

Hi Pat, I remember your Pink machine, just beautiful! So, you converted it to a handcrank, she must look awesome. I really like the pink machines. I have one but it is a light pink/corral combo with a cream color. I hope to see you at the TOGA this year.
Anamaria
Old 06-06-2012, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
That's soooo funny. My pink Morse photo that I posted here is on that site. LOL.
Wow, that is funny Candace! I haven't posted my pink Sterling yet! Maybe, it will end there too along with Trish's pink Merritt she just posted!

Nancy
Old 06-06-2012, 05:47 AM

Thanks. It was fun looking at all of the pink sewing machines!