Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Speaking of repaint jobs... this just doesn't look right to me!
http://spokane.craigslist.org/atq/3047737433.html
Pretty flashy!!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:52 AM

Hit an estate sale today! DH got there first and he held the machine til I got there and then they guy says I might have one one miore and he did then he dragged out yet another machine. Long story short - 3 machines for $45 and all in cabinets. One is a Kenmore 148 with cams, manual and accesories, one is a 402A with manual, accessories, cams , and stuff galore in the drawers and the last is a crinkle brown New Home. I think it came with accessories and no manual but not quite sure on that. I need 3 more machines in cabinets like I need another 21 yr old living in my house. But I'm not complaining.
My question is will either the Kenmore or the New Home sew without being in a cabinet? I am leaning towards gifting 1 away and not sure if the gal wants a machine in a cabinet. I will post pics later after unloaded from the van - yet another reason to have a minivan.
I also scored a nice pink Italian glass bowl for a charity auction plus a herd of ceramic rabbits for the same auction. Alas, no quilts as the sellers have someone who buys them sight unseen and does who knows what with them.
Chris
Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Here is one of the most beautiful Mission style treadle cabinets I have EVER seen!! And Mission is my favorite style of them all. Boy...I know it's gonna go for big bucks and it's way on the wrong side of the US for me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTQIUE-MISS...item4ab81f4474
Janice, She sure is a purty machine and beautiful cabinet. I wonder what the reserve is and did you see the shipping. I could drive there and pick it up for less than the shipping charges. But man o man, what a gorgeous machine.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Here is one of the most beautiful Mission style treadle cabinets I have EVER seen!! And Mission is my favorite style of them all. Boy...I know it's gonna go for big bucks and it's way on the wrong side of the US for me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTQIUE-MISS...item4ab81f4474
Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I love that mission style cabinet too.
I think I'm in the pink, too - one pink and cream Singer Merritt and one gray and pink Japanese zzer. Both would treadle how cool is that? paint the irons pink too?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Hit an estate sale today! DH got there first and he held the machine til I got there and then they guy says I might have one one miore and he did then he dragged out yet another machine. Long story short - 3 machines for $45 and all in cabinets. One is a Kenmore 148 with cams, manual and accesories, one is a 402A with manual, accessories, cams , and stuff galore in the drawers and the last is a crinkle brown New Home. I think it came with accessories and no manual but not quite sure on that. I need 3 more machines in cabinets like I need another 21 yr old living in my house. But I'm not complaining.
My question is will either the Kenmore or the New Home sew without being in a cabinet? I am leaning towards gifting 1 away and not sure if the gal wants a machine in a cabinet. I will post pics later after unloaded from the van - yet another reason to have a minivan.
I also scored a nice pink Italian glass bowl for a charity auction plus a herd of ceramic rabbits for the same auction. Alas, no quilts as the sellers have someone who buys them sight unseen and does who knows what with them.
Chris
Look at the bottom of the machines, lift them up and look to see if there are 'feet' that allow the machine to rest on a solid surface. Many times these are a molded metal or even screws that are usually adjustable. If there aren't any, this would mean the machine may rest on the bobbin assembly which isn't good. You can buy a travel case that has the correct support for these machines. They aren't the typical cases found at big box stores but are the ones that you find vintage machines in. Usually with two compartments and 2 pegs to attach the machine to. You can use any machine out of a cabinet if it's supported adequately by a case.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 AM

It is cream and tan with a hard plastic case. Will post photo in a few here for ya. I did not plug into outlet, it has a seperate plug all its own which that extension is plugged into wall. Had to remember which one is light and which one is motor. If ya goof, ya know. I will see if I can take apart and check the wiring and report back in a little bit. Thanks for help.
Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
QM,
I don't know what a Singer 2404 looks like, but most of the foot controllers up until the 70s were carbon pile or resistance wire type controllers. The backs will either screw off, pop off, or slide off.
Most of them can be cleaned and adjusted. And all can be rewired if needed. There is said to be a tutorial on adjusting them somewhere. Several have mentioned it, but none put in a link to it. Or if they did I missed it.

Make sure the motor is lubed if it can be. And plugging it into the wall isn't much of a way to test it. The outlet will hit the motor with more juice than it normally gets through the controller.

Do you have another foot controller to try on it? That would be the easy way? I'd almost bet though that the machine has sat unused for a long while and the motor is gummed up. My local SMG said in those cases he takes the belt off and runs them wide open till they free up. He even says sometimes he hoses the brush area out with lighter fluid and runs it till dry. ( Caution that can ignite, keep back if you do this.)

Joe
Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Look at the bottom of the machines, lift them up and look to see if there are 'feet' that allow the machine to rest on a solid surface. Many times these are a molded metal or even screws that are usually adjustable. If there aren't any, this would mean the machine may rest on the bobbin assembly which isn't good. You can buy a travel case that has the correct support for these machines. They aren't the typical cases found at big box stores but are the ones that you find vintage machines in. Usually with two compartments and 2 pegs to attach the machine to. You can use any machine out of a cabinet if it's supported adequately by a case.
Candace, thanks for the information. I will have to check them out later for the feeet or screws. Barring that, I'll see what can be done for a case if she doesn't want the cabinet.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Here is a photo of my Gmas machine I am having issues with. Also of the foot pedal.[ATTACH=CONFIG]340276[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]340277[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails gmas-sewing-machine.jpg   gmas-foot-pedal.jpg  
Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
Here is a photo of my Gmas machine I am having issues with. Also of the foot pedal.[ATTACH=CONFIG]340276[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]340277[/ATTACH]
Quiltermamma, your Merritt looks just like Trish's Merritt. I don't think that machine goes back further than the 70's! Maybe, your Gramma got this newer machine later on? It is still vintage - but, I don't think from the 50's or 60's? In fact, I tried doing a google of the Singer Merritt 2404 . . . all I could find says the machine dates back to the early 1980's! Still a very pretty machine!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 06-06-2012 at 01:29 PM.