Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3562 of 4403 FirstFirst ... 2562 3062 3462 3512 3552 3561 3562 3563 3572 3612 3662 4062 ... LastLast
Results 35,611 to 35,620 of 44024

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
    Attachment 341770Attachment 341771Pictures of the Minnehaha...I haven't had a chance to clean it yet. Kids seem to think they need to eat and have clean clothes. I'm trying to learn about it before I dig into it. It moves, treadle works, not sure how to load the bobbin yet.
    HOW TO CLEAN UP and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav Great set of videos by Muv (and Fav) This should show you how most of it works.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Woohoo! I found another machine that will FMQ - not as well as the 301, but passable. A Necchi BF from the 40s. Solid little girl - she reminds me so much of my Elna except it is not a fun machine to thread. Thank goodness the previous owner drew a little threading chart when she gave the machine to the SA. Now I can finish this red quilt that's been my companion for too long. It is a little different using the knee control, but I actually like it.

Blog Entries
    I like a good knee control too. I figured out to use a bit of Triflow on it once in a while makes it work even better.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I really like knee controls- I am setting one up on my 201 cabinet. I need to actually take the machine and the drawers out, turn the cabinet up side down and it will be easy at that point. But....so far I have lacked the mojo. Maybe in a month, when I move down to the garage studio. Laura

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Woohoo! I found another machine that will FMQ - not as well as the 301, but passable. A Necchi BF from the 40s. Solid little girl - she reminds me so much of my Elna except it is not a fun machine to thread. Thank goodness the previous owner drew a little threading chart when she gave the machine to the SA. Now I can finish this red quilt that's been my companion for too long. It is a little different using the knee control, but I actually like it.
    Is the thread tension not as good or ?

Blog Entries
    Would any of you help educate a consignor about the true value of their sewing machine? I ask because I've asked to help him/her realistically price their Jan 18, 1927, model 66 treadle machine. NO special decals, just the scroll one. Allegedly it works, but seller wants me to work with it and see if it does sew as in just because someone says it sews doesn't make that actually true.

Would you help this seller??
    Through Him who strengthens me, I can do all things - Paul

I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    thanks miriam i will try that.

mary
    Miriam is right, about not harsh stuff on the older Japanned machines, but on the painted ones, I use a mild solution of dawn and water. Here is a result of that.Name:  40%20out%20of%2065%20CL%20machines%204-22-12%20040.JPG
Views: 311
Size:  130.0 KBName:  YellowMiriam.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  182.1 KB
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    Candace, the tension FMQ with the old Necchi was great. I am a tension freak. My 'passable' was the operator. On a different machine with a different method of controlling the electrics, it took a bit to coordinate my controller speed and movement speed. I have a few long stitches. The physical setup wasn't as good either and sometimes the weight of of the quilt was causing minor hiccups. But it's finished unless I decide to go around the border again. This daughter likes more quilting than I do and it's for her, not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Candace, the tension FMQ with the old Necchi was great. I am a tension freak. My 'passable' was the operator. On a different machine with a different method of controlling the electrics, it took a bit to coordinate my controller speed and movement speed. I have a few long stitches. The physical setup wasn't as good either and sometimes the weight of of the quilt was causing minor hiccups. But it's finished unless I decide to go around the border again. This daughter likes more quilting than I do and it's for her, not for me.
    Good to know. I don't own a Necchi, though some day I probably will!

Here are my new ones for today. Gold, cream, light brown and turquoise. I've had a few e-mails asking about them. If you're interested in them PM me. I'm asking 35 cents each plus a SASE. That's until I get carpal tunnel:>
    Attached Images Attached Images